• P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:35 PM

Lol totally different type of argument...

Member Awards ()

#22 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

Not really. Apple vs. PC, Coke vs. Pepsi, Ford vs. Chevy -- they're all manifestations of the same trait. We are a tribal species.

Member Awards ()

#23 Dan2680

Dan2680
  • P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

Coke or Pepsi is taste so neither can be better. But cars and phones can be better than others

Member Awards ()

#24 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 03:45 PM

LOL. Okay, whatever you say, fanboy.

:P

Member Awards ()

#25 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 05:13 PM

Actually, I believe the iPhone vs the S3 is actually a Coke vs Pepsi debate. The specs are close enough not to matter, so it comes down to taste. Personally, I hate iTunes because of it's UI (usage, not appearance), and I *do not* want a phone that *has* to be managed via that. I do not want to sync my phone, I want to transfer music as files. I do not like iOS's home screen. I do not like the fact that I would have to jailbreak it to install non-market apps. I do not like that you can't replace any functionality you want with a non-stock app.

So, my point is, it is a matter of taste, and in my taste, regardless of my dislike for Apple, I do not like the iPhone, and consider the S3 to be a superior product.

Member Awards ()

#26 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 October 2012 - 06:02 PM

And that's a perfectly valid position. I have never asserted that the iPhone is an objectively superior product. It does seem to get slightly more "best" ratings, but those are subjective, too, even when they come from so-called "experts."

As a general rule, I am not a fan of customization. I look at it this way: You could go out and spend $40,000 on a BMW; alternatively, you could spend $25,000 on a Honda Civic Si, then trick it out with $15,000 worth of go-fast parts. In the end both cars would have similar performance, but one would be much more customized, and require much more investment of time and mental energy from its owner. Some people like that; I do not. I'd rather just have the thing off the rack that does what I want it to do, and forget about it. When it comes to appliances, I'm just not looking to be that interactive (I see this as an aspect of the same personality quirk that makes me so indifferent to video games). I don't care that the iPhone will only allow you to use iTunes for music, for instance. It literally makes no difference to me. (How do you listen to music on a Galaxy, anyway?). And since we live in an iTunes world, it also happens to be convenient. I mean, why have multiple systems when one will do?

That said, there are some things about the iPhone that I would change. I would like the ability to delete standard Apps that I never use, like Stocks and Game Center, for example. But I just stick them in a folder and forget about them, so it's not that big a deal. And having known several people who switched to Android, I know that there are plenty of niggling little annoyances with that system as well. At least one friend has been counting down the days until he can go back to the iPhone, so much has he hated his Android experience.

It's all subjective.

Member Awards ()

#27 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 October 2012 - 05:16 AM

I also dislike the iPhone due to the extreme walled garden approach. At least Windows and Android allow you to experiment privately, iOS is a pain to develop for.

#28 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:06 AM

Well, http://www.theregist...amsung_q3_2012/

There you go. Apple has been overwhelmed by the Samsung megabeast.

Twice as many people buy Samsung androids (let alone any other androids) than iPhones. People clearly like Android more than iOS. Game. Set. Match.

#29 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 October 2012 - 11:28 AM

For now. Those figures are just for the third quarter, and change constantly. Besides, since when has popularity equated to quality? You of all people would be quick to discredit such an argument if the numbers went the other way.

Member Awards ()

#30 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:16 AM

Oh I'm sorry, I've just proven that more people like the Android system. Guess that means that less people think Apple is as good as Android.... oh I spose that means that they don't think iOS is as good as Android. Heh, I could have sworn that meant that the consumer opinion was that Apple wasn't of as high a quality.

#31 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:26 AM

Coke vs. Pepsi is a friendly competition. Posted Image

Member Awards ()

#32 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I've just proven that more people like the Android system. Guess that means that less people think Apple is as good as Android.... oh I spose that means that they don't think iOS is as good as Android. Heh, I could have sworn that meant that the consumer opinion was that Apple wasn't of as high a quality.

By a similar line of reasoning I can "prove" that ABBA is the best musical group since the Beatles.

Just because somebody likes something doesn't make it objectively superior. And just because the sales figures -- for now -- favor Samsung, does not in and of itself constitute proof that their product is better. If someone tried to use such logic against you, you would tear them to shreds.

Member Awards ()

#33 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:51 PM

Lol, but your proof of ABBA is post hoc. This is live.

#34 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 06:59 PM

That was just an example. You know what I'm talking about. Popularity ≠ quality.

Member Awards ()

#35 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:27 PM

Eeeeh, I could argue that it's a service based market and the popularity of said service is an indicator of it's quality simply because that's the nature of totally nonphysical products... but I'm not.

I'm just going to say: "From a development standpoint, Android is a better OS. From a cost standpoint, Android phones are better. From an ease of use standpoint, they're practically the same. From a hardware standpoint, they're practically the same. From a market share standpoint, Android is a better platform. As a useful tool, Android is *far* better. All up, Android is superior to iOS as Windows is superior to any Apple OS."

#36 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:18 PM

Oh I'm sorry, I've just proven that more people like the Android system.

No, you've proven that more people are currently buying the Android system. You might want to read everything El Reg has to say on this topic.

http://www.reghardwa...very_one_apple/

What's more interesting is the size of the installed base, where Android has been ahead for quite some time.

http://business.fina...phone-platform/

However, you might also want to consider this: Hyundai outsells Mercedes by quite a bit, but it's not because people like their cars better. The fact that the iPhone does as well as it does despite being the most expensive product on the market should make you think for a moment.

Member Awards ()

#37 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:21 PM

Aaah but that's a product where it's superiority is not measured in it's useability as a platform on which to reach many people.

#38 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:28 PM

...And we're back to the same tired old Apple-is-evil, everyone-else-is-awesome arguments, and round and round it goes. I'm tired of it. A plurality of reviewers rates the iPhone higher. When the sales figures for the holidays come in, I'll be interested to see what they show. Based on your logic, if the iPhone bests the Galaxy S3 in sales for that quarter, you'll agree that it's a superior product?

No, I thought not.

You people love to rip on Apple, but you completely miss the fact that your own insufferable smugness is exactly the thing that you accuse Apple users of.

But just to be clear: I have never claimed that Apple makes an objectively superior product. From a technical standpoint, I am not qualified to make such a judgment. Everything else is just opinion, and like assholes, we've all got one. What I have said is that in my experience, Apple products have been much more trouble-free, reliable, and user-friendly than non-Apple products (and here we're talking about PCs for the most part). They consistently meet or exceed my needs with a minimum of effort on my part, something which I cannot say for Windows-based systems. Why you cannot accept that, and feel compelled to argue over and over about why this or that system is "better," is beyond me. "Better" is a relative term. Better than what? If something doesn't meet my needs, if a product doesn't satisfy me, then it's not "better" in any sense of the word that matters to me.

Member Awards ()

#39 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

I don't like apple but I don't hit on smart phones, dere cool, not designed by apple, could be better, could have better software, *microsoft cough plz*, but you know, it's still pretty cool. Posted Image

Member Awards ()

#40 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

Ohey, by that logic, I'm the only one qualified. And in my professional opinion, their latest products are sub par.

Apple was cool, then they became jerks. Those jerks that think that somehow they're better than everyone else because they're "different", or somehow "special", when in reality they use their whiny bitching to piss off every single person everywhere. Fuck you and your cinnamon double soy frappuccino.

When Apple is finally out competed by Google to the point at which they have to radically redesign themselves, when they stop being a bunch of dicks that only live to watch their products stagnate along with everyone else's, when they stop trying desperately to hold their competitors at gunpoint, then I'll respect them. But for now, they, much like Oracle, are what is wrong with my industry. Everything they touch turns to shit. And, thankfully, now that their chief architect and master planner super genius is out of the picture, they're likely to find out just how much changing they need to do. Innovation, not Litigation, makes for respectable products.

On a side note, this is also why I'm so dissapointed at Microsoft switching their app system over to using HTML5 and an overwatching app board. I don't like "have" to doing anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users