Photo

Pens!

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: Writing things! (14 member(s) have cast votes)

Choose Your Writing... Thing!

1. I choose you, Ballpoint Pen! (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

2. I choose you, Gel Pen! (2 votes [14.29%])

Percentage of vote: 14.29%

3. I choose you, Rollerball Pen! (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. I choose you, Felt Tip Pen! (1 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

5. I choose you, Fountain Pen! (3 votes [21.43%])

Percentage of vote: 21.43%

6. I choose you, Mechanical Pencil! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. I choose you, Pencil! (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

8. What is this? Pokemon? Seriously, I just use what's lying around. (4 votes [28.57%])

Percentage of vote: 28.57%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:26 PM

Birth certificates are sort of anachronistic documents.  Public schools, for example, require them in order to register students, but why?  Why do you need a piece of paper to prove you were born?  Isn't your mere existence enough?  And it's not a citizenship thing, because (in Massachusetts at least) we do not require proof of citizenship or legal residency to attend public school, just a birth certificate and some proof that the child lives in the school district (like a utility bill, etc.).  And it's not like they have pictures on them, so they're not really a very effective means of identification.

This is probably another case of "this is the way we've always done it," and no one really gives any thought to whether it's necessary any more.

Birth certificates here haven't historically carried as much weight, and you can still find people born before the '70s who don't have them at all. They're actually gaining in importance now, since they're a critical first step in proving one's identity to get other forms of ID, such as a driver's license, which will now be compulsory to vote (not-so-fun fact: I still don't have enough ID to get one of them, which means I definitely won't be able to vote in the next election).

Historically, you'd only really've needed one to apply for a social insurance number (akin to your social security number, but with a more ominous acronym), and this being the backwoods of Alberta, it's not like finding employment without one was ever a big deal, especially since a lot of people grew up to take over a family farm. That was the only reason my grandmother ever got her birth certificate: at the age of 18, by which point her exact date of birth had been lost to the mists of time, with the lovely phrase, 'About 21 April,' printed on her birth certificate. My grandfather's birth certificate, if any existed, was left in Poland when his family was deported by the Soviets in the Second World War, and he managed to live his entire life without either a birth certificate or a citizenship certificate, only a Displaced Person's Identity Card.

All in all, I agree quite fervently with your sentiment: I exist, whether or not I have a piece of paper that says I do. :P I find the whole ID-centric culture we've built to be kind of sad, and while I get the concerns with security fraud prevention, it doesn't make living without an ID any easier. If having a photo ID is going to be mandatory to do such basic things as vote, I really feel at that point it's incumbent upon the government to provide one for free: anything else amounts to a poll tax.

Member Awards ()

#22 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 May 2014 - 02:19 PM

I agree wholeheartedly about the photo IDs.  American conservatives believe that people should be required to have a photo ID to vote (in order to prevent nonexistent "fraud"), but lose their shit at the idea of a government-issued national ID card.  It's one of the more blatantly hypocritical aspects of their agenda.  The ironic part is that we already have government-issued IDs in the form of Social Security cards — just put a picture on them.

Member Awards ()

#23 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:13 PM

Should have your genetic sequence, birth date, name, birth parents, associated addresses, associated numbers, fingerprints, other biometrics, blood type, notable medical conditions, medical records, welfare status... I might think of a few more things, but that'll do.

#24 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

Why don't you play SMAC as the Hive again? :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#25 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 May 2014 - 09:59 AM

Cause they aren't technologically progressive enough. :P How can I terrorise the world with planet busters if somebody else gets there first?

#26 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

Should have your genetic sequence, birth date, name, birth parents, associated addresses, associated numbers, fingerprints, other biometrics, blood type, notable medical conditions, medical records, welfare status... I might think of a few more things, but that'll do.

An issue with that which comes to mind is police fraud.

Member Awards ()

#27 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:28 PM

There would be ways to address those concerns.  Indeed, this is not some future hypothetical; already police have access to information that could be damaging, not the least of which is SS# and related biometric data.  In the medical fiemd there are pretty strict monitors on who can access what, and every login is recorded.  One would think (or hope) that police agencies have similar safeguards in place.  If not we're already screwed.

Member Awards ()

#28 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

we're already screwed.

Member Awards ()

#29 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:24 PM

I like to imagine that the police are the good guys. And hey, why would they target you to pin something on if you've never made a note of yourself?

#30 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:40 AM

You live in a country where, for the most part, they probably are.  In the United States the police are being turned into a military force.  Why would they target you?  Maybe because you're black, or gay, or some other minority group they don't like.  Maybe because you're Muslim.  Or maybe just because you have the temerity to stand up for your rights.

Member Awards ()

#31 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 May 2014 - 08:48 AM

Likelyhood of you being picked out of a sea of people? Very unlikely :)

#32 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:40 PM

Likelyhood of you being picked out of a sea of people? Very unlikely :)

Likelyhood of being in the local vicinity of a crime? Very likely.

Someones car gets broken into and no leads but on questioning local residents they find out that a person by the name of Redezra didn't get on with the owner of the car and you don't have an iron clad alibi to which  suddenly your finger prints show up from the crime scene.

You swear to god you didn't do it, but why would your prints be there?

Police fraud on solving crimes which lead to a dead end.

Member Awards ()

#33 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

The thing is, I'd like to be able to trust the police, but anymore, I can't.

If you have the time, you really ought to watch this video, which contains information from both a law professor and a police officer on the issue. It's quite Americentric, but it's still quite eye-opening.

Member Awards ()

#34 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:24 PM

Well, that all depends on where you live and spend your time, doesn't it?  Where I live I would say it is very unlikely that I would be in the local vicinity of a crime.  The same could be said for most of the citizens of Watertown, Massachusetts.  That's the city that was placed under martial law while they searched for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Member Awards ()

#35 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:35 PM

Well, that all depends on where you live and spend your time, doesn't it?  Where I live I would say it is very unlikely that I would be in the local vicinity of a crime.  The same could be said for most of the citizens of Watertown, Massachusetts.  That's the city that was placed under martial law while they searched for the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Sure but it also depends on what you class as crime, theres a bloody long list of them which most people probably couldn't name them :P

Member Awards ()

#36 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:40 PM

Let's call it "dangerous crime" or "violent crime," then.  My guess is that in most places in North America, for most people, those chances are not very high.  Of course race and income play a huge factor — a poor black kid is much more likely to live in an unsafe neighborhood than a rich white kid.

Member Awards ()

#37 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:58 PM

Let's call it "dangerous crime" or "violent crime," then.  My guess is that in most places in North America, for most people, those chances are not very high.  Of course race and income play a huge factor — a poor black kid is much more likely to live in an unsafe neighborhood than a rich white kid.

Sure if you live out in the sticks, but mostly people live in populated areas and where there is people there is crime.

Over here is the UK you can find police crime maps which plot on google maps where reported crimes have happened in the last "x" months  and to say the least its suprising how many reported crimes there are that you never hear about.

March of this year there was:

2 burglary

3 violence / sexual offenses

1 posession of weapon

2 thefts

All within 2 mins of my house that I never knew of or reported in media and I live in a decent(ish) town and feel safe.

Member Awards ()

#38 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:08 PM

How many people in your town?

Member Awards ()

#39 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:19 PM

How many people in your town?

Roughly 22k

Member Awards ()

#40 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Okay.  So assuming the bulk of them are within the radius you cited, that's not very much crime at all.  Interesting, though.  I wonder if as an American my expectations are just much lower?  Heh.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users