Photo

Adblock

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

Poll: Adblock (16 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you use an ad blocker when browsing the internet?

1. Yes, I use an ad blocker that blocks ALL adsvertisements (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

2. Yes, I use an ad blocker that blocks SOME advertisements, but allows others (default Adblock Plus behavior) (11 votes [68.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 68.75%

3. No, I do not use an ad blocker (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

If you allow some or all ads to be displayed, how often do you ever click them?

1. Routinely - I click through many ads (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Frequently - If I see an ad that interests me, I'll click it (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. Occasionally - I'll click an ad that REALLY interests me, or if I specifically want to support a site it's on with click revenue (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

4. Rarely - I'll only click an ad if I believe it to be strongly relevant to my needs or interests (4 votes [25.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

5. Never - I never intentionally click an online ad (9 votes [56.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 56.25%

6. (N/A - I block all advertisements) (2 votes [12.50%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

What is your general feeling about online ads? How do you feel they've affected the internet?

1. Positive (1 votes [6.25%] - View)

2. Ambivalent (8 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. Negative (7 votes [43.75%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 43.75%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 12:34 AM

Wondering how Invicta feels about ads.

Member Awards ()

#2 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:05 AM

I'll discuss the last point. Clearly ads are a necessity. The hosting and time required to provide free services on the internet are worth money, and if all services required personal sacrifice (financially) to be provided, our selection would be far lesser. Unobtrusive ads are a good way for both parties to benefit. The service provider gets rewarded for their efforts, and the consumer gets access to free services. I think the best possible example here is Google. They run a highly successful ad business, including ads on their pages, that in turn pays to provide free access to the best webmail available, and more importantly a huge search engine that is nearly the center of the internet (it certainly is for me). Facebook might also be a good example for those who use it, though its services certainly rank under convenient/fun rather than useful. Edit: Anna had some fantastic points regarding privacy and intrusiveness that I completely forgot to consider.

However, as is the case with most things, there's a subset of the population that is only out for their own personal gain. This then leads people to go to quite surprising amounts of effort to gain revenue from the abuse of ads. This intent to make money is what causes people to create tons of intentionally misleading websites to generate traffic to somewhere where their ads are hosted, you get spam on forums and in comment sections trying to get even one person to get to their site, view their ads and make them the $0.0001 more. You get people stealing content from other sites, making keyword spammy pages, and otherwise creating entirely useless information on the internet that is designed to only be as highly visible as possible.

I voted ambivalent because although they're a necessity and many people use them to provide services that would have otherwise been inaccessible, they're also widely abused to make someone any money they possibly can and contribute to a "useless-ification" and "spam-ification" of the internet to the disadvantage of everyone using it.

Edited by Phate, 28 April 2014 - 03:17 AM.

Member Awards ()

#3 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 02:23 AM

I've sold some online adds. So I'm very positive towards them, since they add bonus to my pay check currently.

But personally I've only once bought from a online banner (not pop up) comercial. 2 week subsrciption on a newspaper for 2 euros. Was a nice bargain. 

Edited by Alyster, 28 April 2014 - 02:24 AM.

#4 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 03:07 AM

On the whole, I agree quite strongly with your analysis, Phate, and you certainly put it into words better than I ever could've. The key point for me - and the reason I use the default Adblock Plus settings which allow some ads, is, as you said, unobtrusiveness. I don't mind ads catching my attention, but they should not interfere with my use of the page. What does this mean for me?

First, ads should not be placed in between me and the content I want to access. Playing commercials before videos, such as on YouTube, is perhaps the most egregious example of this, but it is far from the only one. Even with ABP, if I attempt to visit an article on Forbes.com, I first get redirected to a page which hosts an ad, and while the ad itself is blocked by ABP, I still have to click through the page to access the content I want.

Secondly, ads should not play audio (at least by default). I've seen a recent surge in the number of ads which are displayed alongside page content, but which autoplay a video with sound, or begin making sound if you so much as hover over them. This is perhaps the surest-fire way to get me to not click on your ad, no matter how relevant or interesting it is, because I don't want to be sending advertisers the message that that's a good idea. In fact, if there's no way to disable the audio, it's also a sure-fire way to get me to leave the site period.

Thirdly, ads should not have a significant impact on page load times. I know this is a bit harder to measure, because it depends on user network speed, the availability of CDNs, whether or not the JavaScript that inevitably loads them is sensibly written (ie., to not hang the entire page's load if it's slow to access the content), and the quality of user-end plugins used to display the content (try to load the simplest Flash animation on Ubuntu without it using an entire core, I dare you), by and large this means two things: keeping filesize low, and not using goddamned Flash.

Finally, and perhaps most detrimentally from the advertiser's perspective, a word on relevant ads. Scanning the content of a normal webpage to deliver ads related to its content? Okay. Scanning my emails' contents to deliver ads on Gmail? Not okay. Using tracking cookies, pixels, local storage, and other such technologies to keep a record of my interests to deliver ads you feel are relevant to me, regardless of the content of the current page? Really not okay. User privacy should trump ad relevance every single time.

So where does that leave us?

Well, you brought up Google and Facebook, and unfortunately, here I see two of the biggest offenders. While Google's text-based ads are wonderful, their image banners tend to be Flash-based, and that's a huge problem from a performance and load time perspective. The commercials YouTube foists on us before giving us access to the content we want to view, and indeed the popover banners that leave a button irritatingly covering part of the video even when they're closed, also run afoul of the first point. And of course, Google's highly-intrusive user tracking is a violation which goes without saying, because although they have the ability to opt-out of interest based tracking, they're quite fond of silently opting you back in when you use a new computer or browser, and have also been accused of disregarding this when you've logged out of your Google account. It seems they've also recently split the opt-out option between Google and Google ads on non-Google sites, since I was opted out of the former but into the latter when I visited their ads preference page, which also gave quite a lot of insight on how accurate a profile they were able to paint of me from the sites I visit.

Facebook traditionally has been a bit better. Ads have been unobtrusive, and while they used on-site user tracking to attempt to build a user profile, they also seem very bad at it, considering most Facebook ads I receive alternate between, 'Have a Bar Mitzvah in Israel,' 'Shop for the latest in hijab fashion,' and the ever-popular ads for Rush Limbaugh's radio show. Unfortunately for them, they've not had a lot of financial success from these ads, and that's leading them to the dark side. The non-consensual use of user data to promote ads ('Friend X and Friend Y like Brand A!'), together with just making shit up about what people like, has really gotten my goat. Inserting these ads directly into the news feed was not something that overly bothered me, but their newest plan to insert autoplay video commercials into the feed? That's beyond the Pale.

On a tangential note, while Adblock Plus blacklists all animated advertisements as being obtrusive, I'm wont to disagree with them: animated ads aren't inherently bad, in my opinion, it's how they're used that is. Using Flash is a big no-no in my books, but animated GIFs have too high a filesize. My sincere hope is that as more and more people begin to upgrade to browsers that support new web technologies, we'll see a move away from Flash and towards embedded HTML5 video (which sites like Gfycat are happy to point out has huge filesize savings over GIFs). By providing no audio and hiding the control track, HTML5 video can provide an identical visual experience to users as a Flash banner in a fraction of the filesize, with a fraction of the resource use.

Member Awards ()

#5 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 05:53 AM

I generally don't mind them, but they are starting to get real invasive. It's getting to the point where you need a gaming computer just to load a webpage.

I go with the Adblock default settings, but I do disable it on some pages that I value and I want to provide the views for the owner.

Member Awards ()

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:08 AM

We have Adblock installed on all our work computers.  But normally I agree with the consensus here: ads don't bother me when they are unobtrusive, and every so often something catches my eye and I'll click it.  But the ones that bog down load time annoy me.  The worst ones, the ones that make me want to kill, are the ads in which some kind of sound comes on and/or video plays without my doing anything.  I HATE that.

Member Awards ()

#7 Locke

Locke

True and Righteous Hero of CN!

• Former Member
  • 497 posts
  • Ruler Name:Locke
  • Nation Name:Alestor
  • IRC Nick:Locke
  • Alliance Name:Global Order of Darkness
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:57 AM

There's a question you didn't ask that's pretty relevant: do you add exceptions for sites you like? For example, I allow Mediacrush ads because of this.

Member Awards ()

#8 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

There's a question you didn't ask that's pretty relevant: do you add exceptions for sites you like? For example, I allow Mediacrush ads because of this.

Yeah, I realized I should've asked that after Thrash posted, but since everyone's cast their votes already and are unlikely to delete them all to answer another question, no point now. :v

Member Awards ()

#9 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:41 PM

I know ads provide information about products that you may not know otherwise but I've never felt like I am consciously affected by ads (perhaps I am unconsciously affected though). I have never seen an ad and thought to myself "Man I need to get that let me click on the ad". Then again I am only a teenager so maybe certain products aren't important to me yet. I think catalogs are more useful than straight up adverts and radio adverts. I believe ads are very important but I think too much money is spent on them.

Member Awards ()

#10 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 28 April 2014 - 11:34 PM

Most of my points I would've made have already been made (per usual).

Anyone care to expand their opinions to commercials? (perhaps I should do a good job and make a proper poll for it.... rofl).

I don't particularly mind ads (when done correctly), or when they're relvant. If anything I would be willing to give up information (give information) so I get ads that are relevant to me (or more so at least). If nothing else, tying in to things you've already bought, or that go with things you've recently bought, I'm sure that's the biggest thing in actually driving sales. Not to write a tangent, but once people start spending money, and they're comfortable doing it (e.g. once you've bought one thing on ebay, or once you've bought one steam game [...] ).

I know I find myself completely watching youtube ads (at least on my tablet.. I block that shit on my computer), when I like the person it's for. Or if I don't like the person/thing that's being advertised I'll cancel it sooner than if it's something/someone I like (e.g. a funny ad).

I'm not sure how I want things to work, or how I feel they should go. If things should be behind paywalls, if you should have premium services, if you should use DRM, delayed viewings, advertisements, sponsorships.

idk. Another interesting, related topic, is monetization. If a programme sells T-shirts and CDs/DVDs, or subscriptions, or just gets your eyes glued to an AD they serve you from someone else, or as more and more people are doing in music/indie gaming/youtube pay what you want/sponsorship type deals.

um. The world is a scam. Everything is an advertisement trying to sell you a T-Shirt or food. Consumerism is a real thing. Join the revolution. Burn the world to the ground. Smell the bacon of the capitalistic swine roasting in their own cesspool.

Member Awards ()

#11 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

Well I encountered a whole new level of annoying today: an audio-only web ad. ABP managed to miss it, so I got this annoying woman talking about the Samsung Galaxy over the content of the webpage I was looking at.

Member Awards ()

#12 Daniel P

Daniel P

Can Grant Wishes

• Minister of Internal Affairs
  • 1715 posts
  • Ruler Name:Daniel Chrono
  • Nation Name:Neutrality Force
  • IRC Nick:DanielChrono[INVICTA]
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

We have Adblock installed on all our work computers.  But normally I agree with the consensus here: ads don't bother me when they are unobtrusive, and every so often something catches my eye and I'll click it.  But the ones that bog down load time annoy me.  The worst ones, the ones that make me want to kill, are the ads in which some kind of sound comes on and/or video plays without my doing anything.  I HATE that.

Usually the Sounds/Videos only come when you put your mouse pointer at them.(Not anymore :()

I got a gaming computer and some web pages shudder due to all the Flash-player ADs are being loaded/Played. I think that web sites is getting overboard with these ads. Not everyone need a High-End PC just to view a Webpage(The ADS that got auto play at start) and also I hate those ADs that you have to wait to order to view the content.

Edited by Daniel P, 29 April 2014 - 02:00 PM.

Member Awards ()

#13 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:20 PM

Anyone care to expand their opinions to commercials? (perhaps I should do a good job and make a proper poll for it.... rofl).

Commercials...what commercials? Ever since i've had the ablility to pause live tv.... Program about to start pause it for 10-15mins go make a brew/have a smoke...come back and skip the adverts when needed :P

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users