Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Ruler Name:xR1 Fatal Instinct
  • Nation Name:Brotherhood of Steel
  • IRC Nick:xR1_Fatal_Instinct
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:40 PM

So as some of you may or may not know, I am an independent contractor. So basically I get fucked by taxes. I have to pay employer and employee tax. Which then accounts to about a 1/3 of my check. The way to get around this is tax write-offs. I was talking to my dad about this because currently I have about $1400 worth of shit I can write off including certifications, clothes, and equipment for my job. (personal trainer) I made the point to my dad that the IRS allows me to write off 50 cents a mile to and from the office to the appointment site. So technically my house is my office, and the gym is the appointment site. That makes for 32 miles round trip, almost exactly. (according to google maps) But my dad said he thought I'm only able to write off federal income tax. I was under the presumption I would be able to write off at least state and federal. Wasn't sure about social security (which is 15% for me -- fuck you old people).

So my question is for anyone that has experience with this -- since google was unhelpful, can I write off my personal expenses for my job for state, federal and social security taxes?

Member Awards ()

#2 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

You're American, right?

Employ a tax accountant. Even one of the tax chains will save you money.

With that said, you might want to think about incorporating if you're bringing in some good cash. The thing about incorporating is that corporations tend to pay less in taxes. However don't do it without legal advice, and if you're not making enough to pay a lawyer for tax advice, then you're not making enough to incorporate either.

Member Awards ()

#3 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

If you get paid on a 1099 and not a W-2, I believe you can.

Member Awards ()

#4 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:48 PM

Probably not making enough to incorporate. Getting an LLC in my state is roughly $550. As opposed to a neighboring state it is $50.

Member Awards ()

#5 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:49 PM

If you get paid on a 1099 and not a W-2, I believe you can.

I get paid on a 1099. Does that mean all of the taxes?

Member Awards ()

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:55 PM

Also you probably won't make enough to actually owe anything at the end of the year.  Other than the Social Security stuff you should get it all back next year.  Think of it as a way of saving.

Member Awards ()

#7 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 12:59 PM

1099 works differently than W-2 I believe.

Member Awards ()

#8 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:02 PM

It does, but you can still pay ahead if you want.  Then at tax time you'll get it all back except for Social Security.  Or you can do nothing and at tax time probably owe nothing but Social Security, which will probably just be a few hundred dollars.

Member Awards ()

#9 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 01:27 PM

I don't know enough about state taxes to help you. Also note that every state is different.

You should certainly be able to write off most, if not all, of your expenses for federal taxes.

Social security is a different animal altogether.

I echo Haf and say you should definitely look up a tax place. Even going one time will save you a considerable amount on your taxes.

As for incorporating, note that you can incorporate in any state you want to. You just need to maintain an address/agent in that state to service any papers filed. There are companies set up that is basically one guy acting as an agent and address for hundreds of companies. But if you go the incorporation route, you'll need to have regular tax advice in order to gain the most benefit. When you stop by a tax place, just ask about incorporating. They'll look at your paperwork and be able to give you an estimate if it will be worth it or not for you. As a general rule though, you need to be pulling in about 75K+ to really make a personal corporation work for you, otherwise it's about the same as a small business owner. But they may be able to work something depending on what state you're in.

tl;dr go to a tax place. While there, ask them all this.

Member Awards ()

#10 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 02:19 PM

Also you probably won't make enough to actually owe anything at the end of the year.  Other than the Social Security stuff you should get it all back next year.  Think of it as a way of saving.

It's a way of saving, but it's also a way of giving the government an interest free loan. I've read that one of the better options is to add exemptions to have as little as possible taken out, and instead put the same amount into a savings account or CD and at least make a little on it.

Member Awards ()

#11 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 03:11 PM

He already has as little as possible taken out — zero.  It's a form 1099, used for so-called "independent contractors" but actually just a way for businesses to worm their way out of paying benefits for employees.  But that doesn't mean he can't pay ahead.  Yes, it's the equivalent of an interest-free loan to the government, but we're not talking about huge sums of money here.  I don't know how much he makes, but we're probably only looking at a couple grand, tops, in taxes.  And that's spread out over the course of a year.  So, what, $40 a week?  That's not a lot to invest with, and you're not going to make much on returns.  For that little amount it's easier just to use the "overpay taxes as a savings plan" approach.

Member Awards ()

#12 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 04:19 PM

If you incorporate can I have sex with the CEO? That's one of those bucket list things

Member Awards ()

#13 Infopowerbroker

Infopowerbroker

Rambo of the Flowers

• [Redacted]
  • 8461 posts
  • Ruler Name:Infopowerbroker
  • Nation Name:Maggie Walkerville
  • IRC Nick:Infopowerbroker
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:09 PM

If you are going to take deductions, make sure you have receipts or mileage records for everything you deduct. Audits love to screw folks over for not having proper documentation.

Member Awards ()

#14 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:14 PM

If you are going to take deductions, make sure you have receipts or mileage records for everything you deduct. Audits love to screw folks over for not having proper documentation.

That's very true.  But at his level the odds of an audit are slim.

I would check out the IRS Self-Employed Individuals Tax Center.

Member Awards ()

#15 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:28 PM

...instead put the same amount into a savings account or CD and at least make a little on it.

Interest rates are shit, money doesn't grow in banks.

You're better off just saving to put towards taxes, and try to get all the exemptions you can.

Also: echo

See a professional.

Member Awards ()

#16 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

I will offer a word of warning about professional tax preparers:  They may be helpful for complex or unusual tax situations, but for most typical workers they are a waste of money.  I went to H&R Block a couple years ago to do my taxes, and despite the lofty claims of their advertising they didn't find anything that I wouldn't have found myself.  When all was said and done I got the same refund I would have gotten anyway, minus $200 for the privilege of H&R Block's company.  Taxes are not as complicated as people make them out to be, especially if you're making $30,000 a year or less.  Just pay them quarterly and you'll get most of it back at tax time.

Member Awards ()

#17 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 08:43 PM

Enjoy adulthood xr1  :D

Member Awards ()

#18 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

I will offer a word of warning about professional tax preparers:  They may be helpful for complex or unusual tax situations, but for most typical workers they are a waste of money.  I went to H&R Block a couple years ago to do my taxes, and despite the lofty claims of their advertising they didn't find anything that I wouldn't have found myself.  When all was said and done I got the same refund I would have gotten anyway, minus $200 for the privilege of H&R Block's company.  Taxes are not as complicated as people make them out to be, especially if you're making $30,000 a year or less.  Just pay them quarterly and you'll get most of it back at tax time.

Yes, this is all true for ordinary employees. For anyone who can claim business expenses etc. they are essential because they know exactly what can be deducted.

Most employees have close to nil deductions. Independent businesspeople have tons of them.

That said, H&R Block does find a lot of deductions that ordinary people miss. No offense Jor, but you're a lot smarter than most people, and H&R Block does help stupid people with taxes.

Member Awards ()

#19 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:37 AM

I'm currently taking 33% of my checks out for taxes and it's sitting in my savings account lol.

Member Awards ()

#20 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 June 2014 - 12:55 AM

I'm currently taking 33% of my checks out for taxes and it's sitting in my savings account lol.

If you can keep this up, kudos to you xr1. It will save you so many headaches.  :thumbsup:

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users