KingTopherXXIII
  • Invicta: Knight
  • 897 posts
  • Ruler Name:Sturm23
  • Nation Name:Sturm
  • IRC Nick:KingTopherXXIII
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 August 2016 - 10:00 PM

Wow, I do believe if I recall correctly being somewhat dismissed when I brought up Gary Johnsons name a few months ago. I am very happy to hear this news, although I do believe he has a chance to win. The damn media needs to radically change their stance though. Very cool about knowing Bill Weld, I like him a lot. He is very well spoken and brings some teeth to their campaign.

The only chance Gary has of winning the White House is if it gets thrown to Congress.
To do that, the main two candidates have to be denied the majority.

Tough.

It's still a chance!!

Member Awards ()

#22 KingTopherXXIII

KingTopherXXIII
  • 897 posts
  • Ruler Name:Sturm23
  • Nation Name:Sturm
  • IRC Nick:KingTopherXXIII
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:41 PM

Wore my Gary Johnson shirt to the show and got a shout out from Mr Claypool himself! It's about halfway through the video!

Member Awards ()

#23 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 August 2016 - 10:23 AM

3:35 and on for reference :P

Member Awards ()

#24 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 01:54 AM

While I am broadly in agreement with Jorost, I'd hazard against this broad assumption that everyone voting for Trump is 'dumb.' This was the same argument that was made against those who voted for Brexit, and not only is it equally not true in this case as it was then, it's also going to be just as effective in this case as it was then. Telling people they're dumb—even when they are—is not a winning argument. Telling people they're dumb when, in fact, many of them aren't is certainly not a winning argument.

Regardless of whether you agree with them, many of Trump's voters have what are to them very good reasons for voting for him. Some don't like him, but really don't like Clinton, and buy into the anti-third-party rhetoric that you once espoused yourself, Jorost. Some of them are so fed up with the status quo they view him as a protest vote, and I really can't blame them for that. I personally know one-time Bernie campaigners who plan to vote, or are at least considering voting, for Trump.

Trump may be an idiot. Some of his supporters may be idiots. But they're not all dumb, and telling them they are isn't going to change their mind. If anything, it's going to entrench their positions, and drive swing voters away from you, because there are people who still don't know who they're going to vote for, or if they're going to vote at all, and calling the other side stupidheads doesn't make them seem like the less-appealing option: it just makes your side look like bullies.

This is exactly why Trump is doing as well as he is, and the very thing I've been mocking Jorost for all along. Trump is a wake up call. The left had the opportunity to acknowledge the problems that led to his rise and make efforts, even token ones, to address those issues. Instead of doing that they chose to double down and push right ahead being the massive cunts they are. Who is the real idiot there? You people made your bed. Now lie in it.

#25 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:28 AM

While I am broadly in agreement with Jorost, I'd hazard against this broad assumption that everyone voting for Trump is 'dumb.' This was the same argument that was made against those who voted for Brexit, and not only is it equally not true in this case as it was then, it's also going to be just as effective in this case as it was then. Telling people they're dumb—even when they are—is not a winning argument. Telling people they're dumb when, in fact, many of them aren't is certainly not a winning argument.

Regardless of whether you agree with them, many of Trump's voters have what are to them very good reasons for voting for him. Some don't like him, but really don't like Clinton, and buy into the anti-third-party rhetoric that you once espoused yourself, Jorost. Some of them are so fed up with the status quo they view him as a protest vote, and I really can't blame them for that. I personally know one-time Bernie campaigners who plan to vote, or are at least considering voting, for Trump.

Trump may be an idiot. Some of his supporters may be idiots. But they're not all dumb, and telling them they are isn't going to change their mind. If anything, it's going to entrench their positions, and drive swing voters away from you, because there are people who still don't know who they're going to vote for, or if they're going to vote at all, and calling the other side stupidheads doesn't make them seem like the less-appealing option: it just makes your side look like bullies.

This is exactly why Trump is doing as well as he is, and the very thing I've been mocking Jorost for all along. Trump is a wake up call. The left had the opportunity to acknowledge the problems that led to his rise and make efforts, even token ones, to address those issues. Instead of doing that they chose to double down and push right ahead being the massive cunts they are. Who is the real idiot there? You people made your bed. Now lie in it.

Yeah but hold on, now you're acting the exact same way you're attacking Jorost for acting. Worse, even, as Jorost was lumping all the Trump supporters together as idiots, while you're pulling the same move on literally everyone you consider left of center. You might've noticed that there was a substantial push from the Democratic membership to elect someone outside mainstream politics, someone with fresh ideas (well, for America, at least) that could have addressed the issues that led to Trump's rise. That didn't work, of course, for a number of reasons, not the least of which was (what has come to be fairly blatant) sabotage by the party elite. That hardly makes every left-winger a cunt, nor does it make them responsible for Trump's rise to power. If you're inclined to place blame for that, blame those who voted for him. You don't get to blame the left wing for the right wing's lunacy.

Member Awards ()

#26 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 05:06 AM

Yeah but hold on, now you're acting the exact same way you're attacking Jorost for acting. Worse, even, as Jorost was lumping all the Trump supporters together as idiots, while you're pulling the same move on literally everyone you consider left of center. You might've noticed that there was a substantial push from the Democratic membership to elect someone outside mainstream politics, someone with fresh ideas (well, for America, at least) that could have addressed the issues that led to Trump's rise. That didn't work, of course, for a number of reasons, not the least of which was (what has come to be fairly blatant) sabotage by the party elite. That hardly makes every left-winger a cunt, nor does it make them responsible for Trump's rise to power. If you're inclined to place blame for that, blame those who voted for him. You don't get to blame the left wing for the right wing's lunacy.

Except I'm not (that was a nice try though!). You're misconstruing my usage of "the left" with "everyone on the left" rather than "the left establishment." Call it lunacy all you like, but the people who engage in the kind of behavior being discussed are by far responsible for the prevailing mentalities that have led to Trump's rise and the fact that that behavior has only been increased rather than reexamined seems to me the real lunacy. I saw something interesting recently and I'd like to have anyone who feels so inclined fill in these blanks for me:

______, after defeating ________ for the Democratic nomination, attacked _____ as a dangerous right-wing radical. For his part, _____ pledged to uplift the pessimistic mood of the nation, and won a decisive victory

Edited by Shokkou, 31 August 2016 - 05:09 AM.

#27 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 31 August 2016 - 10:13 PM

Oooh, ooh, oooh I get it!

You could theoretically put any pair of Republican/Democrat candidates from the last 40 years, right? :D

#28 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 September 2016 - 09:45 AM

Trump isn't an idiot, but many of his supporters are. He's doing what he's doing as a favour to the Clintons, to permanently break the Republican Party's hold on the presidency. Every time his polls start looking really up, he says or does something incredibly counter-productive.

Member Awards ()

#29 Molagbal

Molagbal

AWESOME

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 217 posts
  • Ruler Name:XxHouseArrestXx
  • Nation Name:Poland
  • IRC Nick:Molagbal
  • Alliance Name:North Atlantic Defense Coalition
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

Trump isn't an idiot, but many of his supporters are. He's doing what he's doing as a favour to the Clintons, to permanently break the Republican Party's hold on the presidency. Every time his polls start looking really up, he says or does something incredibly counter-productive.

Honestly the conspiracy theorist in me wants this to be true lol.  

#30 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 September 2016 - 03:45 PM

Ehh... I'd take issue with Haf's assertion. I have seen no evidence that Trump is particularly bright.

This has been the weirdest election I have ever experienced. I literally have no idea, no sense of who is going to win. The numbers seem to suggest that Clinton has the edge, by something like a 7 to 3 margin. But something about that just doesn't sit right. It doesn't feel right. I still think Trump might win. I hope I'm wrong.

Member Awards ()

#31 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

Ehh... I'd take issue with Haf's assertion. I have seen no evidence that Trump is particularly bright.

This has been the weirdest election I have ever experienced. I literally have no idea, no sense of who is going to win. The numbers seem to suggest that Clinton has the edge, by something like a 7 to 3 margin. But something about that just doesn't sit right. It doesn't feel right. I still think Trump might win. I hope I'm wrong.

I like how Trump seems to have broken Haf, he's gone all conspiratorial.

#32 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 September 2016 - 05:54 AM

It's hard not to be. It's almost like the guy is trying to lose. There have been times when I have seriously considered the possibility that he really is working in cahoots with the Clintons. He was playing an awful lot of golf with Bill before he announced, after all...

Member Awards ()

#33 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 September 2016 - 07:30 AM

It's hard not to be. It's almost like the guy is trying to lose. There have been times when I have seriously considered the possibility that he really is working in cahoots with the Clintons. He was playing an awful lot of golf with Bill before he announced, after all...

... and donated to the Clinton Foundation.... and had Bill n Hill at his wedding.....
:foilhat:

Member Awards ()

#34 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

The only chance Gary has of winning the White House is if it gets thrown to Congress.
To do that, the main two candidates have to be denied the majority.

Tough.

The chances of this are small. In the event that no candidate gets to 270 electoral votes, the election would get thrown to the House. But here's the problem: when the House chooses a president, each state delegation gets one vote. That means that whatever party has more seats will win that state by default. In the current House there are 32 states with Republican-dominated delegations and only 15 with Democrat-dominated delegations. Three states (Maine, New Hampshire, and New Jersey) are evenly split. So if the election gets thrown to the House, Trump wins.

Member Awards ()

#35 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:58 PM

What I said is not much of a conspiracy theory. It wouldn't pass muster on something like The X-Files. What I think happened is something like this:

• Trump is bored.
  • Trump decides to run for president using an expanded version of something one of his friends actually did. (There is already a wall on part of the border between the U.S. and Mexico. It was built during the first Clinton administration. Of course it's not gigantic, and it was paid for by the United States.)
  • Trump figures that doing this, he might drive the Republican party a bit further to the right and into the hands of the Tea Party, thus helping out his friends.
  • Much to Trump's surprise, he succeeds beyond his wildest dreams. Now he's actually a presidential candidate.
  • Trump does not want to be president. (The guy's staggeringly wealthy. I mean, why would he?) He still has to come up with a plan where he loses in such a way that his business interests aren't hurt.
  • Trump tracks the polls. Every time he looks likely to win, he says something that both placates his customer base and wrecks his polls.

Trump's not an idiot. He's no rocket scientist but neither is he a moron. It's possible to be as rich as he is and still be a moron, but he actually runs his business empire, and it's not possible for a moron to do that.

Member Awards ()

#36 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 12 September 2016 - 06:13 AM

Our interpretation of what's going on really isn't all that difference. I'm just not convinced that Trump is running to help out his friends, the Clintons. I think it's just his enormous ego. And yeah, as I've said before, he sort of fell ass-backwards into the zeitgeist. Either way, if the theory is correct we should expect something stupid from Trump today or tomorrow. He's been closing the gap with Hillary in the most recent polling.

Member Awards ()

#37 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 September 2016 - 12:27 PM

Maybe his new plan is to say something really unbelievably idiotic a week before Election Day.

Member Awards ()

#38 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 September 2016 - 03:59 PM

He says something unbelievably idiotic multiple times a week. No one seems to care. It's almost like we've been inoculated to it.

Member Awards ()

#39 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 September 2016 - 12:17 PM

No, they do seem to dent his support levels a bit. Then he's relatively quiet for a while and people start going "Oh god, but the other one is Hillary" and he rebounds.

Member Awards ()

#40 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

No, they do seem to dent his support levels a bit. Then he's relatively quiet for a while and people start going "Oh god, but the other one is Hillary" and he rebounds.

The round of attacks on that Gold Star family (and since we're talking about it, can we mention how lame it is that they call them "Gold Star families?") seemed to hurt him, but then Hillary had some more email nonsense and her bout of pneumonia (or her death and replacement by a body double, depending on which conspiracy theory you subscribe to), so now she's back down. It's Friday and he hasn't said anything ridiculous to swing the balance back the other way yet, but the day is young. Heh.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users