• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:14 PM

Since we have this Politics subforum, I guess it's the appropriate place for this.

This week I received my official teacher certification, which means that not only am I a school nurse, I am a teacher. The subject I am certified to teach is "school nurse." It is a requirement to be a school nurse in the state of Massachusetts, and it is representative of the gray are in which school nurses find themselves. We don't really fit in.

But we do have a unique view of public education. Of course schools vary widely from region to region, so I do not assume that my experiences at an upper-middle-class suburban school on the tony North Shore of Massachusetts are necessarily reflective of schools across the nation. But a few themes emerge.

First of all, understand that in the United States public schools are governed by school committees, local officials elected from the community. More than any other democratic institution in this country, school committees truly represent the communities they serve. It's not a flashy job, not a high-paying one (in most places it's a part-time commitment with a stipend), not necessarily a desirable one from a professional politician's point of view. Which is not to say that a few professional pols don't get elected to school committees, because they most assuredly do. It's a great place for an eager young pol to start. But they don't stay there long. The ones who stay, and who do the job seriously, are not professionals. More often than not they are parents of current or former students in the school system they serve. They always live, and often work, in the community in question. They are, in short, just ordinary people. School committees are democracy in the purest sense of the word.

In conservative communities, school committees are conservative. In evangelical communities they are evangelical, and that's where you get things like Creationism being included in curriculums. School committees have final say over curriculums (yes, I know it's technically "curricula," but that sounds stupid). And since they are reflective of the community, school committees rarely approve curriculums that are controversial in the community they represent. Which is not to say that school committees do not frequently approve curriculums that might be controversial elsewhere, but for the most part elsewhere does not concern them. Local government rarely gives a fig about what is going on elsewhere.

In most places there are also teacher's unions. These tend to get a bad rap in this country, as do unions themselves. This is a terrible shame, since unions have done a huge amount to improve working conditions in this country. Nearly everything we take for granted, like the 40-hour work week, are the result of unions. Ah, but that's another story.

My short spiel on unions is this: No matter how you feel about them, it takes TWO sides to agree on a contract. Maybe there was a time when unions could hold management ransom with the threat of a work stoppage, but if so (and I have my doubts about that — it sounds more like propaganda to me) it is long past. Nowadays management has the upper hand in most labor negotiations, and unions have given more and more concessions over the years.

I am a union employee, as are all public school teachers in Massachusetts. Before becoming a school nurse I worked at both union and non-union hospitals. Ironically, the non-union hospitals were better to work for, because the fear of unionization led them to bend over backwards in terms of benefits, compensation, and flexibility. At union hospitals management and labor had much more adversarial relations, and there was zero flexibility outside the contract. An ironic situation, to say the least.

The teachers union is not really all that relevant to me, so I don't pay much attention to it. If I were to get sick or hurt on the job, however, I could turn to them for support. And if I were to be terminated they would be involved, and might take action if they believed the termination was wrongful. My benefits are good but not great, ditto my salary. The average teacher salary in my town (Ipswich, Massachusetts) is $67,301, which sounds like a lot. But consider that to be a teacher in the state of Massachusetts you need to have a master's degree plus 30 credits, just a few credits shy of a doctorate. People with comparable levels of education make a lot more than $67 grand a year in this neck of the woods, one of the more expensive regions of the country. Plus that average salary is reflective of the current faculty, which is made up of a lot of people at the ends of their careers, i.e. making the most they're ever going to make. I make less than $67g and i am one of the higher-paid faculty in my building. My health benefits are okay but nothing special, and basically the same as health insurance packages for jobs everywhere: an HMO. My co-pay for an office visit is $25, for meds it varies from $10-40. In other words, pretty run of the mill.

No golden parachutes, no cushy benefits packages. Just the same old stuff as most jobs, certainly most professional jobs, only with a lot more red tape and requirements. To be a teacher in the state of Massachusetts means jumping through a lot of bureaucratic hoops. This is on top of the ones required to be a Registered Nurse. I deal with a lot of bureaucracy.

Teachers get a bad rap. I think this is because everyone thinks they know what teachers do. It stands to reason, after all we all had teachers for at least twelve years of our lives. The problem is that what you see from the kid's perspective, and what is actually happening, may not always be the same thing. And teaching has changed a lot — even people in their 20s might not recognize some aspects of what goes on in modern elementary schools, for example. Expectations have changed a LOT. So has the culture. The best way I can explain it is this: When I was a kid, if the school called your parents you were in trouble. Nowadays if a kid gets in trouble the parents assume the school is in the wrong. A combination of helicopter parenting — wanting to protect little Johnny and Suzie from every bad thing that could ever happen — coupled with modern parents' preoccupation with being their kid's friend first, parent second, has created a world in which schools more often than not find themselves on the defensive.

I cannot speak for all schools. I cannot justify the actions of every school official that ever was, is, or will be. So whatever specific examples you might bring up of BUT WHAT ABOUT SO-AND-SO?!? is going to fall on deaf ears. I cannot say that every teacher and administrator in every school system across America is a wonderful person. But I do believe that most teachers are hardworking professionals who genuinely want to do a good job. These days that's not easy, given the demands of standardized testing (more on that later) and other mandates, all in the face of 30+ years of tax aversion on the part of the American people.

Standardized testing is the bane of public education. Teachers hate it, administrators hate it, parents hate it, students hate it. Everyone hates it. Except for politicians, who seem to love it. Why? Probably because standardized testing is the darling of the big education companies — you know, the ones who do the testing? They are big contributors to political campaigns, and have powerful lobbying presences in Washington and state capitals across the country. They effectively write the standards, then sell curricula and other materials that help meet those standards to school systems. It's a pretty cushy, corrupt system for those at the top.

THIS is where public outrage should be directed. But all politics is local, and nothing is closer to the heart than the welfare of our children. Teachers are the front line of the relationship between citizen and government, a difficult position in a country that largely considers government to be the enemy. Couple that with helicopter parents, standardized testing, ever-morphing state and federal standards, new politicians coming in every few years and changing everything, and a whole heap of regulations and red tape and... Well, I think teachers deserve a break. They are not the lazy, overpaid bureaucratic evildoers the corporate right has painted them to be. This propaganda aimed at dividing people and preventing them from seeing the real enemies at the top. Unfortunately it works.

Member Awards ()

#2 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 09:54 PM

Doesn't standardized testing give us an equal representation across the board though; a more common curriculum, so we can ensure that all of our student's are getting a similar education?

I mean, what other standard do we hold teachers to, and how do we test that?

Member Awards ()

#3 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

Triple Agent for the Queen

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Ruler Name:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Name:Dal Riata
  • IRC Nick:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Link

Posted 01 November 2014 - 10:04 PM

First, congrats on the teacher's cert. that's a big deal. Second, who the hell do you think you are, Mr. Teacher Man?! Just kidding, but I thought it was appropriate. Now, I think your topic is a bit broad, as it includes a number of different issues. First, public education is not a synonym for public district-run schools. The public education realm also includes charter schools and public vouchers for private schools. Additionally, the issue of teachers' unions within the public school topic is also pretty big. And, I think your assertion that many give teachers a bad rap is simply false. Do some? Yes, but it is far from the majority. The issue many have is with the teachers' unions, as you mentioned. This has many valid reasons. First, you need to separate public from private sector unions. The difference is the parties involved. In the private sector, they are bi-lateral discussions. Union versus business management, any increase of benefits or pay for the union is dispersed as a cut to the profit margin and salaries of the business management. Sure, there are increased costs for products, but overall, it is a bi-lateral discussion. In the public sector, however, it is a tri-lateral prospect. Union, management, and taxpayers. Unfortunately, other than election cycles, which may or may coincide with collective bargaining cycles. Also unfortunately, many times, the taxpayers are left out of the discussion. The union doesn't have the best interest of tax rates at their heart, and management cannot play an us versus them mentality, which, often times, leads to taxpayer interests being forgotten. As you pointed out, many school board directors are local parents. What you forgot to mention, is that many school board members are also retired teachers, with the union mindset engrained in them. The other major problem that many have with teachers' unions is their stubbornness. I get it, it's the union mindset. But, it can lead to nasty situations. In a local school district, the Collective Bargaining Agreement expired, and for the last 4 years has been working without a contract. Why? Because they have continuously demanded a 10% pay increase. TEN PERCENT! Not only was this unrealistic due to the district budget, it was a giant slap in the face to the mostly blue-collar district struggling to deal with the economy. Ultimately, this hurt the teachers, as they received NO pay increase. The union mindset leads me to my next point... How can teachers be considered educational professionals, while at the same time demanding we treat them as organized labor? The dichotomy there is leading to further distancing with the tax paying public. Now, my solution? Individual bargaining. Allow teachers the right to bargain for their own pay. Additionally, open enrollment. Allow public money to follow the student, as it should be. This will encourage schools to hire better teachers with better pay, which would then attract more students. K-12 education should be reformed to emulate the higher education system.

Member Awards ()

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 November 2014 - 10:45 AM

10% is not an unusual demand. It's supposed to be negotiation, remember. You start at 10 and end up with 3.

In negotiations with the teachers union the voters are represented by the school committee. If it has former or current teachers on it, so be it. It's a publicly elected office, and in most cases not an expensive or time-consuming one for which to run. Maybe there are communities that are pro-union and elect pro-union school committees. I have no doubt there are. But there are probably a lot that are anti-union and elect accordingly as well. That's how representative democracy works. We choose representatives to act on our behalf. It is not feasible or practical to expect every issue to be a public referendum, that's a recipe for chaos.

Bottom line: If you have specific complaints about something a specific school has done, curriculum, etc., the final responsibility lies with the school committee in question. But if you have complaints about education policy, direct your fire to the corporate kleptocracy that our government has become.

There's another force at play here too. America has always had a healthy streak of anti-intellectualism. Perhaps it doesn't fit with our rugged individualist self-image. America was chosen to lead, not to read. Nobody likes the smartest kid in class. That sort of thing. We don't entirely trust the eggheads.

From what I can see, the public attitude toward teachers is either that they are glorified babysitters getting rich off the taxpayers' hard-earned dollars, or else they are liberal propagandists bent on converting our children to atheism and gay marriage. I am saying that I do not think they are either of those things, and it pains me to see them painted as the villain in so much of the mainstream media's reporting.

Member Awards ()

#5 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

As Jor and some of the rest of you know, I had a particularly horrifying experience with public education, well most of it. I started school in Toronto, where I finished Grade 2, then I did Grade 3 in Reykjavík. That was all fine. However, then I moved to Nova Scotia which is where the horror set in. I did spend one year in a private school (Grade 6), which was actually pretty nice, but the rest of my eight years in the Nova Scotia public school system I had a grand total of perhaps five teachers that could be described as being fundamentally competent, and many more that were either simply incompetent or abusive (in some cases including direct physical abuse - there were a few who hit students).

As a result of this I have somewhat mixed feelings about standardized testing. While I know that they're not really a good indicator of the progress of a student, I also know that if it wasn't for them I would never have made it to university. In Grade 11 when I was a student (I don't know, this may have changed, or it may not, I left NS a long time ago now) there was something called the Nova Scotia Achievement Test, or NSAT. At the time I took it I was being flunked by several of my teachers (I mean this in an active sense - if I handed in assignments, they found or invented things wrong with them). Anyway there were 7 tests, I scored two perfect results and two more in the 99th percentile. My lowest score was 90th percentile. When the NSAT results came back my grades improved. Immediately. I stopped being marked down.

That's one of the things which standardized testing was supposed to do of course. The idea is that if everyone is graded in the same way then you have fairness. It doesn't really work that way because standardized testing is a mess, but it sure as hell beats being marked down because the teachers know you're smarter than they are and think they can get away with it.

On the other hand it sometimes leads to the scenario outlined in Pump Up The Volume, a movie everyone interested in education should watch. So eh. I dunno.

Also curriculums is in the OED. If anyone tells you it should be curricula tell them you're not speaking Latin. Curriculums is perfectly good English usage.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users