• Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:14 PM

POPULAR

If you are reading these words you are a privileged person. Odds are you are age seventy or younger and live in the United States or another highly industrialized, Westernized country. If this demographic describes you, as it does me, you should be aware that in the grand scope of human history, our experience has been unique. We live in a world that is for the most part safe, stable, and well-ordered. We have access to technology that would have seemed like science fiction just a few years ago. Of course there have been historical ups and downs, and many serious changes since 1945. But our fundamental way of life has not been threatened. There have been no famines, no epidemics, no wars — in other words, none of the terrible things that periodically occur throughout history and kill a whole bunch of people. Except not in the West, at least not in the past seven decades. Is it any wonder the rest of the world hates us?

We have talked a lot on these forums about the deteriorating socio-political situation in the United States. Income inequality, the militarization of police, and the commercialization of, well, everything have combined to create a frayed and failing social structure.

I think a social revolution is coming. That word, revolution, tends to be a hot-button, as it conjures images of armed conflict in the streets like something out of Red Dawn. But revolutions can also be economic, social, political. What comes first, the revolution or the shooting? I don't know, but either way change is coming.

Don't worry, I'm not a witch. I didn't foresee this in a crystal ball. And I'm not a survivalist looney, the sort who feverishly dream of a postapocalyptic world in which they can survive solely on their wits and with their trusty gun by their side. No, I'm just reading the history, and looking at patterns.

Wholesale change is coming. Those of us who were born at the end of the twentieth century will die in a very different world from the one into which we were born. Future historians will mark this as the end of one period and the beginning of another.

Now, there are two ways that wholesale social change can happen in a society: 1) Quickly and violently, and 2) Incrementally and (mostly) peacefully.

In American history, perhaps the best example of the first is the Civil War. Six years of bloody slaughter brought an end to a centuries-old way of life, and literally changed the face of America forever.

A good example of incremental change can be found in 19th century Britain. Consider that in 1800 Britain was effectively a caste society, ruled by a highborn elite of aristocrats and royals; the average peasant had no more say in the governance of the country than they did in the Middle Ages. But by 1900 Britain was a democracy, commoners had the vote, and the monarchy had been relegated to a largely ceremonial status. That's a tremendous amount of social progress made in 100 years, and for the most part it was achieved without wholesale violence or social upheaval. Instead the English ruling classes, keenly aware of the social revolutions taking place on the continent, ceded power to the people incrementally in an effort to keep the peace and avoid any, er, unpleasantness. If there is one thing the English upper classes dislike it is unpleasantness.

America in 2015 is not unlike Britain in 1800 in some ways. Like the Britain of that time, our country is ruled by a class of wealthy elites who live apart from the general population, answerable to no one. But we don't have 100 years. The pace of change is too fast now.

The United States is like the proverbial powder keg right now. So far our rulers (by which I mean both our elected officials and the wealthy private individuals who bankroll — and thus control — them) have managed to avoid widespread social unrest by keeping us fat and happy, but that is no longer working, mostly because their greed has cut into our fat, and therefore our happiness.

What the über-rich have never understood is that the poor don't hate them for having so much. The poor hate the rich for having so much while the poor have so little. People are willing to accept the existence of a wealthy elite as long as they are doing okay themselves. Hell, on some level people LIKE the idea of a wealthy elite, because it leaves open the possibility that they might get there some day. That's the American dream, right?

But it has gotten out of control. The rich have become too rich, too powerful, answerable to no one. Every day we hear some new report of the absurdity of the situation, some poor elderly person who lost their pension while the bankers who lost it make billions, etc., etc. There is a growing sense of the crowd milling at the palace gates, and it's only a matter of time before the crowd turns ugly.

My advice: If you have money, don't flaunt it. You don't want to be the guy driving a Benz the day the revolution comes.

Member Awards ()

#2 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I think tensions are high politically right now, and there's a lot of thought of revolutionists by different group, but not in any particular directions. The rich will get attacked quickly when things go to shit, but I doubt people have a centralized enough view of on what direction to take America for it to be specifically directed towards the rich. Some want more individualism, some want more government intervention into things, some are terrified people will take away their gun rights, some are terrified guns will be the end of America, while others are sitting there frothing at the mouth and fantasizing about taking control of a revolution to establish whatever their perfect view of the government is, ironically becoming dictators themselves in the process, and likely leading to a worse government. Despite the political tension, there's no real direction, let alone against rich people. 

That may be your target, but I doubt it's the consensus of the general people to attack them. 

Edited by Manoka, 16 February 2015 - 05:32 PM.

Member Awards ()

#3 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

Naww, we can't have a revolution now, not when we're this close to a cyberpunk corporocratic dystopia!

#4 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:11 PM

Naww, we can't have a revolution now, not when we're this close to a cyberpunk corporocratic dystopia!

Ha! You thought you were getting Perfect Dark? Too bad. You get Fallout.

#5 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:35 PM

Naww :<

I just want Neuromancer ;_;

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 01:10 AM

Well, technology plays a huge part. Maybe we'll all just put ourselves in the Matrix and be happy. Red can be a neuromancer, Thrash can be an angry wizard, and Nas can be a big, gay, electric penguin.

Member Awards ()

#7 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:45 AM

Not *a* neuromancer, but rather the universe described in: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Neuromancer

Member Awards ()

#8 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:49 AM

I'll be Wintermute~

#9 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

Triple Agent for the Queen

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Ruler Name:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Name:Dal Riata
  • IRC Nick:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:49 AM

I'll be Wintermute~

Can't you be mute all year long?

Member Awards ()

#10 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 10:32 AM

Not *a* neuromancer, but rather the universe described in: http://en.wikipedia....iki/Neuromancer

There can still be more than one.

(And now I get to say something I've been waiting YEARS to say...)

I was reading Neuromancer before you were born, Phate. :P

(Wait, WAS I? What year were you born?)

Member Awards ()

#11 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:17 AM

There can still be more than one.

(And now I get to say something I've been waiting YEARS to say...)

I was reading Neuromancer before you were born, Phate. :P

(Wait, WAS I? What year were you born?)

Haha, fair. And you could have possibly, I was born in 1990.

Member Awards ()

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

I probably read Neuromancer sometime around 1987-88.

Oh you humans and your pitifully short little lives.

Member Awards ()

#13 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:34 PM

But sewiously, people are too disjointed to form a revolution singled around fighting a single enemy. What revolution would there be really to just fight a bad guy? And what new economic system do we switch to? What new form of government? It isn't a revolution if things largely stay the same but we simply put new people into power; no more than when we hold new elections. 

I highly doubt a revolution is coming, let alone against such a specific target, let alone against rich people. Maybe a furthered widening of people, as echo chambers, especially through the internet, have made people more extreme than before; I once wrote a thing about how the internet is actually dragging us apart, instead of bringing us back together. All the information in the world at our fingertips and people are instead of enlightened by it, overwhelmed by it, rejecting it and focusing on simpler, more straightforward information that's easier for them to swallow; reaffirming their own biases and opinions, rather than causing them to branch out and learn more about the world. A backlash which has created such extremeness and similarity in various positions has made it to where people are so caught up in their own, sheltered, narrow views of the world, that they're pushed to making extreme decisions no-one would have even begun to consider rational before. While this can be a good a thing in some ways, ultimately it tends to lead to people making bad decisions, that seems flat out insane from a distance, because you don't realize how the people got to that decision, which also tends to make little sense. 

How often do you look to confirm information you believe in rather than look at opposing views? How often do you find yourself digging through sources looking for something to confirm your side rather than trying to find the truth?

The fact of the matter is, people are so unwilling to accept when they're wrong, especially with how much emphasis they've placed on the other side being tah debilsz, that now they can't learn, and are essentially stuck in a situation worse than a quagmire, worse than stagnation, but instead growing more extreme within their side. More and more distant from each other and, sadly, the real world. By the time they put forward all their political crap it no longer has bearing on reality, and stupid decisions keep getting made. And they will keep getting made, as extreme people decide elections. President Obama won the popular vote by about 2%. 2% of the population made the difference in the last election. It may have been a clear 300 or so house representatives and senators, but that's only because that's done by majority win, as well (for instance when you win texas, you win all the senators and representatives, not just those that voted for you). So, a tiny percentage determines the election, and largely, this is the result of the extremists, who've now become incredibly important in politics. With that in mind, they determine if crazy people get elected, while most of us are left scratching our heads. A lot of people don't even tend to realize when they've gone off the deep end, either, or celebrate the idea. 

Member Awards ()

#14 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:41 PM

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

#15 Daniel P

Daniel P

Can Grant Wishes

• Minister of Internal Affairs
  • 1715 posts
  • Ruler Name:Daniel Chrono
  • Nation Name:Neutrality Force
  • IRC Nick:DanielChrono[INVICTA]
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even five hundred would be pretty nice.

Is that a quote from Alpha Centauri the game. And also it one of the Morgon Industries quotes.

my favorite Nation/Faction.

Member Awards ()

#16 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

Every generation needs a revolution, even if it's only one of the spirit.

We've been long overdue.

LONG.

Member Awards ()

#17 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:32 PM

We've been long overdue.

LONG.

Truth.

Member Awards ()

#18 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:45 PM

We've been long overdue.

LONG.

Truth.

Total lies. 

Look at, MLK, Civil rights, more civil rights, the 90's. 

Been plenty of "revolutions".

And what is the obsession with a revolution, anyways; by definition, that just means, revolving, coming back in the same place where we started. 

I actually want to go somewhere, to get somewhere else, as efficiently as possible, too. What I need is, a line. A straight line, to one place or another. Not some silly revolution. Something useful. 

Come with me citizens, and take part in the glorious line to a better society! The progression onwards to something new, instead of circling the same dead and tired concepts! 

Edited by Manoka, 17 February 2015 - 07:46 PM.

Member Awards ()

#19 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 February 2015 - 07:54 AM

MLK and the civil rights movement was 40 fucking years ago.

What about.the LGBTQ community?
Do you honestly think the rights movement of 4 decades ago represented them?
What about.the.money powers owning our government officials?
Did any of that get handled in your magic fun time land?

Seriously Manoka, where the fuck do you get off and how can I help you get there.

You arent welcome here.

Member Awards ()

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 February 2015 - 08:05 AM

Revolutions can be very useful, Manoka. We've just never lived through one. One could argue we're living through one right now, but of course we don't know how it will turn out.

I will say this: The progress made on LGBT rights is a big part of it. That's one area where there have been huge changes in our lifetimes. As recently as the 1990s the idea of gay marriage was all but unthinkable; now it's legal in over thirty states (including Alabama!) and looks set to become national law when the SCOTUS rules this Spring.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users