Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

I have a game based on George Martin's Song of Ice and Fire novels (which also inspired the HBO series). I'd like to run it on various forums, and now I'm posting here (as well as on other forums) looking for players.

Continuity disclosure: I've read the books, but haven't seen the TV show. I may modify stuff that happens in the books, depending on what players do. I would rather players have freedom than slavishly obey what happens in the books. However, much of the events that go in in the game will not be directly connected to the events of the books; I like George Martin's world, but I want us to write our own stories and not simply retell his.

If you haven't read the books or seen the show, and you still want to play (perhaps you wish to see how much of a lunatic I am when running games lol), the main reference I'm using for the game world is the Wiki of Ice and Fire. I recommend it anyway for those of you who (like me) sometimes have trouble keeping stuff straight.

The game is published by Green Ronin, and can be purchased from their online store, in either printed or PDF form. (PDF is cheaper, and faster.) Their store. I won't asssume that anyone has a copy of the rules, and will explain stuff where necessary and hide rules where possible. In general, I prefer to focus my games on roleplaying. Obviously I will do all the die rolling (this game being run over the Internet), and a good percentage of the time I won't even tell you when your character is making a roll, but just do it for you, which both saves time and keeps the story going. If you do decide to purchase the game and/or any sourcebooks, keep in mind two things: one, I don't have any sourcebooks, two, I ignore and/or make up rules when the printed stuff gets in my way. Still, although I haven't run this system before, I have to say it looks really cool.

The game has a number of character options. In particular, the game allows you to play characters of any age, including children and the elderly, and provides advantages to both. While it's certainly possible for all you lot to roll up knights, I will warn you that the combat system is fairly detailed and I will be doing my best to keep battle scenes to a minimum so that we can finish more than one storyline every fifteen years. With that said, any battles that do happen are likely to be important, so being able to fight won't be useless even if you don't get into a new brawl every fifteen minutes. (Unless all you guys roll up non-warrior-type characters, in which case we'll have storylines focussed around what your characters' abilities are. I don't like springing gotcha scenarios; I prefer to write adventures that the players actually have a chance of succeeding in.)

Setting will be variable. However, the year is 290 AC on the Westerosi calendar, which is one year after Greyjoy's Rebellion and the start of the long summer that's just coming to an end in the books. (That's also eight years before the beginning of the main events in the first book, and the year when Bran Stark was born.)

If you guys want to play in Westeros, we can do that. However, the game has a house creation system, and if we play a Westerosi game we'll be creating the house first before anybody gets into character creation. You don't have to play a noble, but pretty much everyone in Westeros is connected to one noble house or another, and the game assumes that the player group is all connected to the same noble house. House creation - if we do it - will probably be done on IRC. It's rather complex, but it would be fairly quick as long as everyone's all gathered around at once. It could be done on forums if no time can be allocated though.

The other option - which is the one I was originally planning - is to run in Braavos, with all of your characters being native Braavosi. If we do that, then I will associate the characters together; you will probably be connected via a merchant prince, but there are other possibilities there as well depending on your characters. (Perhaps you all decide to roll up whores. B-) ) The one restriction I should mention here is that you will not be permitted to play adult Faceless Men. (Trainees are possible.)

Member Awards ()

#2 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:59 AM

They're starting to come in.

Current player list: Margrave (Kashmir), John Churchill (Last Call)

There are a few other people who've posted in the threads, perhaps they - or you - will turn out to be players as well. I'll keep this open for a few more days.

Member Awards ()

#3 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:05 PM

... and one more. :)

Current player list: Margrave (Kashmir), John Churchill (Last Call), Spankthefrank (Last Call)

Member Awards ()

#4 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:16 AM

I'd love to get in on this, but it'll depend on timing and how my schedule looks next semester or whenever it is you decide to start.

#5 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 November 2015 - 11:31 AM

I'm hoping to start over the next week or so. I'm mostly running this because I keep on getting story ideas and I need to run something before my heads blows up, heh, so I have about four different campaigns in my head to pick from.

I am used to running games with irregular players, so if one player's time commitments pick up then that player will just get shifted down to a reduced importance in terms of the story, at least while the player is at a reduced availability anyway.

This is from a post I made on a different forum when someone asked a similar question: I usually run my games with a lot of individual scenes, and online that will be even more. So the long and short is: when the players are together, obviously I'll want you guys to participate, because otherwise you're holding up the other players, but when you're apart - which will be a lot of the time - players who don't turn up will just not get solo stuff written for them.

And if you're together, but are just hanging out in a bar or something like that, the players who don't turn up, their characters will just interact with a Minor Narrator Character or two while the other players who are posting get to play.

And: of course I won't let players hold up other players too long. If there's a combat or something like that going on, which as I mentioned already will not happen very often because they're ridiculously slow online, if you don't turn up then your character will probably do something obvious.

I'll probably do daily updates myself.

I've added you to the list.

Current player list: Margrave (Kashmir), John Churchill (Last Call), Spankthefrank (Last Call), Shokkou (Invicta)

(note - the thing in brackets is the forum the player is posting on, not necessarily their CN AA; frankly I don't care if you play CN at all for this game, I'm just using CN forums to recruit players because they're convenient for me.)

Member Awards ()

#6 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

Count me in!

I've never tried a forum-based RPG, but I am a longtime and regular tabletop RPG player. And, if you've been around on the forums for more than a few months, you're probably aware that I am a big GoT fan. :)

I'm down for whatever setting, Westeros, Braavos, or what have you. As far as the timeline is concerned, whenever I play a game set in an "existing" fantasy setting, I assume that our game is an alternate reality that begins as soon as the game does. In other words, everything was the same up to that point, but once the game starts anything goes. So if we start in 290, for example, there's no guarantee that Greyjoy's Rebellion would necessarily go the same way. We could always take a similar approach so we don't have to worry about story conflict (if anyone worries about such things).

Member Awards ()

#7 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:26 AM

Well, since Greyjoy's Rebellion is in 289, you can be assured it goes the same way as it did in the books. lol. But otherwise Jor has hit my approach on the nose.

Current player list: Margrave (Kashmir), John Churchill (Last Call), Spankthefrank (Last Call), Shokkou (Invicta), Jorost (Invicta)

(note - the thing in brackets is the forum the player is posting on, not necessarily their CN AA; frankly I don't care if you play CN at all for this game, I'm just using CN forums to recruit players because they're convenient for me.)

Nobody has posted a preference between Braavos and Westeros yet. If you care one way or the other, let it be known. Also if you don't care, posting that would be good too. :)

Member Awards ()

#8 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 10:57 AM

While I'm intrigued by the idea, I'm neither certain I can commit the time at present nor do I really feel comfortable enough with my knowledge of the world to participate. However, if this is going to be something that's openly available here, I'd love to be able to observe it.

Let me know if you need a subforum or something to run it in and I can get you set up.

Member Awards ()

#9 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

I am currently running this on three separate forums. I don't think setting up a dedicated subforum is necessary, or particularly useful because it would then require all my players who are on the other forums to come register here. If you wish to play a minor character who flits in and out as your time permits, I am good with that and I love having those kinds of players actually. B-)

Much of the game will - by necessity - take place in the private message inboxes of me and the players. Some parts of it will be public, but honestly, based on prior experience of my offline games I suspect that will be a minority of the game. (In offline games, it's way easier to run all the players at once, but the way I write stories lends itself very much to players having a good amount of private information. When the players are in a group I can manage that to some extent by passing notes around the table; however I have frequently in the past had separate sessions for individual players to handle their characters' private adventures.) I haven't actually run a game online since the early '90s, though, and back then I was running on BBSes. Hopefully the Internet will let me be a bit more interactive.

Member Awards ()

#10 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 18 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

Doh!

Current player list: Margrave (Kashmir), John Churchill (Last Call), Spankthefrank (Last Call), Shokkou (Invicta), Jorost (Invicta), Stetson76 (Last Call), 519588 (Kashmir)

Member Awards ()

#11 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:46 PM

Out of the seven people who've expressed an interest in this game, I've now heard back from five vis-a-vis the setting. All five expressed a preference for playing in Westeros. We are therefore playing in Westeros.

That means the next thing to do is create a house. There are rules for this in the game. I will outline the rules here. It is very important to note that each player has an equal say in the creation of the house. One of you may play the heir to the house, but that does not matter at this point: everyone's input is equal.

Step One: The Realm
This is where your house is located. You may choose any one realm or roll it randomly. Obviously, if it's a dieroll, I'll roll it. The possible choices, with the lieges that rule each area, are King’s Landing (Robert Baratheon); Dragonstone (Stannis Baratheon); The North (Eddard Stark); The Iron Islands (Balon Greyjoy); The Riverlands (Hoster Tully); The Mountains of the Moon (Jon Arryn); The Westerlands (Tywin Lannister); The Reach (Mace Tyrell); or The Stormlands (Renly Baratheon).

Your choice will affect your house's base stats. The different realms have different bonuses and penalties to the various stats. They are generally balanced, but if you want to play a rich house it's a lot easier to do that in the Westerlands than it is in the North. Conversely, if you want to play a house with a huge amount of land, it's easier to do that up north. If you have any questions about a particular realm's bonuses & penalties, ask them here.

All things being equal, I would prefer if you guys picked The Reach or Dorne. Those two areas have not factored significantly in the books (at least so far) and I have a lot of story ideas for them. Anything else is OK too, but if you guys pick the North or the Riverlands then I'll have to do a bit of juggling because those two areas appear in the books a whole lot. I should also note that I despite House Tully with a deep and abiding passion. King's Landing is in the books a lot too of course, but King's Landing is a rather big place and I can write a lot of stories that don't directly connect with the stories in the books, especially since I'm starting several years before the beginning of the books.

In conversations with people, I've learned that in the TV show (which I haven't seen) the ironmen do not play much of a role at all. They certainly do figure prominently in the books (although there aren't a lot of scenes that take place on the Iron Islands, the ironmen certainly do get around). If you think you'd like to try your hand at playing a servant of the Drowned God, then read the books, especially the fifth one. I've got nothing against them though.

Step Two: Starting Resources
As much as a house is defined by its place in the Seven Kingdoms, its history, deeds, and alliances, a house is essentially a collection of seven resources.
Each resource has a rating that varies greatly depending on the power of the House, with the higher number representing greater resources and smaller number representing fewer resources. These values will fluctuate during house creation and more during gameplay, rising and falling depending on how well you play the game of thrones.
Since resources are very much a part of the lands where your house resides, your starting kingdom helps determine your starting values. For each resource, roll 7d6 and sum the results, then apply the modifiers from your realm to each of your resources. Modifiers cannot reduce your resources below 1.

Defense
Defense describes fortifications, castles, keeps, towers, and other struc- tures that serve to protect your holdings. Defense also describes the presence and quality of roads, representing the ability to move troops and supplies to threatened areas.

Influence
Influence describes your presence in the Seven Kingdoms, how other houses see you, and the notoriety attached to your name. A high Influence resource typically describes one of the great houses or the royal family, while a low Influence resource would describe a house of little consequence, small and largely unknown beyond the lands of their liege.

Lands
Land resources describe the size of your House’s holdings and the extent of their influence over their region. A high score describes a house that controls an enormous stretch of terrain, such as Eddard Stark and the North, while a small score might represent control over a small town.

Law
Law encompasses two things: the extent to which the smallfolk respect and fear you and the threat of bandits, brigands, raiders, and other external and internal threats. Law is something your family must maintain, and if you don’t invest in keeping your realm safe, it could fall into chaos.

Population
Population addresses the sheer number of people living in the lands you control. The more people there are, the more mouths you have to feed. However, the more people there are, the more your lands produce. This abstract value describes the quantity of folks that live under your rule.

Power
Power describes your house’s military strength, the ability to muster troops and rouse banners sworn to you. Houses with low scores have few soldiers and no banners, while those with high scores may have a dozen or more banners and can rouse an entire region.

Wealth
Wealth covers everything from coin to cattle and everything in between. It represents your involvement and success in trade, your ability to fund improvements in your domain, hire mercenaries, and more.

Initial Modifications
Once the starting values for each resource are determined, each player gets to modify the values by rolling 1d6 and adding it to a resource of their choice. The immediate result is that larger groups of players have slightly more powerful houses because they have the benefit of more signature characters. Players may modify any resource they like, but no resource can benefit from more than two extra rolls.

Note that it doesn't matter if you're playing the bastard daughter of a serving wench. You are still a signature character, and you give the house an extra roll. Same if you're going to play the heir to the house.

Step Three: House History
The next step is to determine your house’s historical events, which is done by choosing or rolling for your First Founding. This is when your house was first born. The possibilities are Ancient (during the Age of Heroes); Very Old (around the time of the Andal invasion); Old (around the time of the Rhoynar Invasion); Established (around the time of Aegon’s Conquest); Recent (perhaps during the Blackfyre Rebellion); or New (sometime in the last fifty years or thereabouts).

After you choose the age of your house, then I start rolling for historical events. The older your house is, the more events it is likely to have. There is always at least one historical event, and for an Ancient house there may be as many as nine. Then, I roll to find out what each event is. Some events are good, others bad; generally they average out. Good events represent successes in your house's history, bad events represent problems. Each event will affect two or more of your house resources, usually not very much. Some may affect all seven. A few events may give bonuses to some resources while reducing others. As I roll the events, we will work together to work out the details of what happened in the time of each event.

The first event is the most important one. This event is what happened when your house was founded.

Step Four: Holdings
With your resources generated, it’s time to define your holdings. In a way, holdings are like investments in that you use your resources to select specific elements in the form of castles, towers, cities, towns, soldiers, mines, and more. When you define your holdings, you do not reduce the resource; instead, allocate those points to a specific expression of that resource. You don’t need to allocate all of your resources and may keep some in reserve to make other investments as your resources grow during play.

I will do most of this step myself. The Holdings step allows you to invest points from Defense, Influence, Land, and Power to buy (respectively) fortifications, PC heirs, territory and military units. There are quite a lot of options, especially in the military units. I will try and come up with something that seems reasonable and if you guys like it, we'll just move on.

Step Five: Motto & Arms
All noble families have mottos and arms, and your noble house should be no different. Both of these devices are purely descriptive and do not affect game play in any way at all; instead, they help to unify your group and define your house’s place and purpose in the world.

The motto is the house words. For Stark, it's Winter is Coming. For Baratheon, it's Ours is the Fury. You guys should try to agree on something.

This may not seem very important, but for me, the poor guy who's running the game :) it gives me a bit of insight into what you guys want to get out of the game. Also it gives you some RP stuff to use.

The game has a detailed description of heraldic arms. I am not going to inflict it on you. I am a recovered heraldry nerd myself so I actually kinda know all that stuff, but I understand that most people aren't like that lol. Just try and work out a basic description of what sort of thing you guys want on a shield (lions and direwolves are out), and I'll work out the heraldry for it.

Step Six: The Household
The final step in house creation is describing the household, those individuals who constitute the most important family members and retainers that make up the noble house. Most important are the lord and lady, but there are also the heirs, the maester and septon (if you have them), master-at-arms, castellan, steward, and anyone else who is more than just a common servant. Some of the characters may be player characters under your group’s control, while the rest are Narrator characters.

If you guys want to give me ideas about the household, this is fine. Go ahead. I get the final say on the Narrator characters of course.

If you guys don't have ideas, you can leave me to handle this part completely. I'm pretty good at inventing people to fit roles, and I'll use the motto as a guide to try and help flesh out their personalities.

That's it, the outline of the whole house creation system. You should have a message in your inbox asking you about what you think about the first step. Once we're done with this mess, then we can move on to individual character creation, which in a way is more involved but can be done with each of you separately, so it should be a whole lot easier.

Member Awards ()

#12 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

My vote for history is "New" and I don't have any strong opinions for motto and arms because I would like for my character to be either the steward or some other high-level economic/logistical administrator who is not directly in charge of the house nor in the direct line of succession.

Edited by Shokkou, 19 November 2015 - 07:30 PM.

#13 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

The later stages will be discussed when we get to them. We're still on Stage One. B-)

You can have an opinion on motto regardless of who your character is. The house is created by the players, not the characters.

Member Awards ()

#14 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:10 PM

I know, I just figured if other people were going to play more prominent (lord, lady, heir, etc) people in the house I would defer to them since the house would take more after their character's personalities than mine.

#15 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:36 PM

The lord and lady of the house when we start will definitely be narrator characters, played by me. So far nobody's really expressed an interest in playing an heir, so those may well be narrator characters as well.

Member Awards ()

#16 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:42 PM

Wow, interesting. One thing I'd thought of is a black silhouette profile of a crow, extreme-close-up, on a silver background. Haven't thought of an idea for a motto yet.

#17 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 07:47 AM

Thus far, the three realms that players have suggested to me include the Reach, Dorne and the Iron Islands. I've heard from five players. Thoughts on those three areas?

Member Awards ()

#18 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 12:23 PM

I don't have a very strong opinion. If someone really wants whichever one they chose, I'm fine with it.

Also, I came up with a different idea for the arms.

GBxdioc.jpg

Edited by Shokkou, 20 November 2015 - 12:36 PM.

#19 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

Alright, back to the house stuff.

The players so far seem to be roughly evenly split between The Reach and Dorne.

The Reach is bigger, and more powerful. Dorne is the newest part of the Seven Kingdoms. Dornish law is different from law in other parts of Westeros, and their customs are a lot different as well. In general, Dorne is much more friendly to women, and also to poisoners and bastards.

In terms of resource modifiers: The Reach gives -5 Defense, +10 Influence, +0 Lands, -5 Law, +5 Population, +0 Power, and +5 Wealth. Dorne gives +0 Defense, -5 Influence, +10 Lands, -5 Law, +0 Population, +10 Power, and +0 Wealth.

The biggest difference is in Influence, where The Reach is a lot better. The Reach is also better in Population and Wealth. Dorne is better for Defense, Lands and Power: all the military resources. They both have the same -5 for Law.

The Reach offers the chance to play an urban house, if that is what you desire. Oldtown is a major city. There are towns in Dorne as well but nothing like Oldtown.

Dorne has a desert, and a number of unique resources available to it. Also, in terms of the society, it is still very heavily connected to its origins in the Free Cities. A Dornish campaign is likely going to have character from the Free Cities playing an important role.

Member Awards ()

#20 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Ok, now I have a strong opinion. I very much like the idea of being in The Reach, and specifically Oldtown.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users