• 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 November 2015 - 09:59 PM

I could dig Dorne.

i would prefer The Iron Island, but i would be fine with Dorne

I dig the Reach, and I think it offers the most possibilities. The Tales of Dunk and Egg are set there, and it seems to have a pretty broad landscape, from forests to cities. Plus there is no indication that we are going to "see" Highgarden in the books/TV series so it presents fewer continuity issues, if anyone cares about such things (I don't).

Plus Dorne is right next door. :)

Ok, now I have a strong opinion. I very much like the idea of being in The Reach, and specifically Oldtown.

[22:16] Stetson76|LastCall|TTFN I forgot about the Citadel being in the Reach.
[22:16] Stetson76|LastCall|TTFN I could get down with that.
[22:24] Haflinger right
[22:25] Haflinger so you like the Oldtown idea?
[22:25] Haflinger your house lands (if you have a lot of them) would be somewhere outside Oldtown, but you could have an estate there
[22:25] Stetson76|LastCall|TTFN I'm fine with that, I'll change my vote.

So before Stets flip-flopped, we were 3 for Dorne, 2 for The Reach, and now it's the other way around lol.

Anyone else want to switch?

Member Awards ()

#22 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:38 AM

I was hoping for an Influence and Wealth focused house, so... :P

#23 Margrave

Margrave
  • Visitor
  • 3 posts
  • Ruler Name:Margrave
  • Nation Name:Camberlain
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Fond of Dorne, myself. I'd like to write my character in a realistic, military fashion...if you've ever read any of the Books of the Black Company, I'm thinking a character like Croaker, the surgeon, or like one of their Sergeants.

#24 Margrave

Margrave
  • Visitor
  • 3 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:58 AM

My thing is this: I'd like our house to be a transplant to Dorne; I enjoy the culture-clash narrative opportunities, as well as the generally more accommodating culture. As far our house's name, here's a few ideas.

House name: Blackwier, Rune(or Ruin)wall, Wyrdrun, Deirlief, Brodbaeg (if we're an Iron Islands transplant, that'd be neat)....for non Welsh/Gael inspired names, I'd prefer Cantrell, Martel (with one R, we could make our arms a reverse of house Martell as a joke), Fontaine (And have a Fountain for our arms, especially funny if we are in Dorne). Dannerly, Maunder, Donnerston and Britban  are other name ideas.

I think we need to start with a name and the details of the house before we try and say what their arms or words will be; those will suggest themselves to us after we've written more of their back story.

#25 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:19 PM

My thing is this: I'd like our house to be a transplant to Dorne; I enjoy the culture-clash narrative opportunities, as well as the generally more accommodating culture. As far our house's name, here's a few ideas.

House name: Blackwier, Rune(or Ruin)wall, Wyrdrun, Deirlief, Brodbaeg (if we're an Iron Islands transplant, that'd be neat)....for non Welsh/Gael inspired names, I'd prefer Cantrell, Martel (with one R, we could make our arms a reverse of house Martell as a joke), Fontaine (And have a Fountain for our arms, especially funny if we are in Dorne). Dannerly, Maunder, Donnerston and Britban  are other name ideas.

I think we need to start with a name and the details of the house before we try and say what their arms or words will be; those will suggest themselves to us after we've written more of their back story.

I do like the sound of that, actually. Maybe it'd be best if we could all hammer out a time when we could convene on IRC to talk this out directly. Blackwier and Runewall both strike my fancy, but if we went with Fontaine I could make all the joking references to the original Bioshock.

#26 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:40 PM

Here's another possibility. How about having your house having an allied house in Dorne, and have Margrave play a character from Dorne who is married to someone in your house but lives in the Reach?

Or you could play a Dornish lover Margrave. Those spicy, spicy Dornish. B-)

Member Awards ()

#27 Margrave

Margrave
  • Visitor
  • 3 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

Like I said, the culture clash; if we play in Dorne, I wouldn't be Dornish, I'd be a Northron/Iron Islander. Perhaps I'll just be a knight with fighting experience in Dorne? I just got done with a review of the 1st Crusade, so I'm in an east-meets-west mentality.

#28 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:49 PM

The House is located in The Reach. dasnoob has joined as an extra player. We have started to work on the house's Resources.

Here are the resource numbers, along with what those numbers mean.

Defense: 26- Defensible, with at least one fortified town or keep. Roads and trails are present, and rivers or ports are likely.
Influence: 34- Maximum Lord's Status 4. A minor house. Examples include House Clegane, House Payne, and House Karstark.
Lands: 34- An area of land that includes several terrain features, islands, or large groups of islands, House Greyjoy for example.
Law: 20- Lawlessness and banditry are a problem along the fringes of your lands.
Population: 32-Modest population. At least one town and several small hamlets.
Power: 23-A modest force of soldiers, including some trained troops.
Wealth: 31-Prosperous. Your family has the funds to live in accordance with their station.

Everyone who has not yet rolled a die for Resources should tell me what they want to add to. I will then roll a d6, and add to that resource, and post the new total.

[16:00] <Haflinger> Step 2 is starting resources
[16:00] * Haflinger gets the dice out.
[16:02] <Haflinger> defense first
[16:02] <Haflinger> good roll. 31-5=26
[16:02] <Haflinger> Defensible, with at least one fortified town or castle. Roads and trails are present, and rivers or ports are likely.
[16:02] <Haflinger> influence next
[16:03] <Haflinger> average roll. 24+10=34
[16:03] <Haflinger> Maximum Lord's Status 4. A minor house. Examples include House Clegane, House Payne, and House Karstark.
[16:04] <Haflinger> lands next
[16:04] <Haflinger> another good roll. 28+0=28
[16:04] <Haflinger> A modest stretch of land or medium-size island, such as House Frey.
[16:04] <Haflinger> law next
[16:05] <Margrave> nice
[16:05] <Haflinger> average roll. 25-5=20
[16:05] <Haflinger> Lawlessness and banditry are a problem along the fringes of your lands.
[16:05] <Margrave> good
[16:05] <Margrave> gives us a test
[16:06] <dasnoob> no fun with out a bit of blood
[16:06] <Haflinger> population next
[16:06] <Haflinger> first roll even slightly bad. 22+5=27
[16:07] <Haflinger> Typical population. Most smallfolk live on farmsteads or in hamlets, but you might have a couple of small towns and a community around your primary fortification.
[16:07] <Haflinger> power next
[16:07] <spankthefrank> yea but i fear it might be more of the westside story kind of bandits
[16:07] <Haflinger> uh
[16:07] <Haflinger> lolwut
[16:08] <Haflinger> finally a fairly bad roll. 20+0=20
[16:08] <Haflinger> Small force of soldiers largely made up of smallfolk.
[16:08] <Haflinger> wealth last
[16:08] <Margrave> Can we invest in training them?
[16:09] <spankthefrank> the singning might get to them
[16:09] <Haflinger> a good roll
[16:09] <Haflinger> 26+5=31
[16:10] <Haflinger> Prosperous. Your family has the funds to live in accordance with their station.
[16:10] <Margrave> nice
[16:10] <Haflinger> Margrave, the descriptions give you a general idea
[16:10] <Haflinger> however with some of these resources, you can invest the points from the resource into things
[16:11] <Haflinger> investing Power points give you military units
[16:11] <Haflinger> now signature rolls!
[16:11] <Haflinger> Each player gets 1d6 to add to a resource of your choosing.
[16:11] <Haflinger> No resource may be selected more than twice.
[16:12] <Haflinger> I will give advice first.
[16:12] <Haflinger> 1. There are thresholds in the charts. The descriptions for 31-40 are different from the descriptions for 21-30, and so on.
[16:13] <Haflinger> This means that if a player invests a die in power the description is -bound- to change.
[16:13] <Haflinger> 2. Historical events will affect these resources as well.
[16:14] <Haflinger> They can get worse with bad events. On average, they tend to even out, but bad rolling can happen.
[16:14] <Haflinger> 3. The resources can go up and down based on gameplay as well.
[16:15] <Margrave> I'm mostly fine with what we have, I might like to make our military strength better but other than that I'm satisfied
[16:15] <Haflinger> For example, let's say you've used some Power points to buy a unit of archers. The archers get killed in a battle. You lose those Power points.
[16:15] <Haflinger> Or let's say, you make an alliance with a powerful new banner house. Their Power adds to yours. You gain the points.
[16:16] <Haflinger> Influence & Status.
[16:16] <Haflinger> Status is one of the PC abilities. It affects quite a lot of things in the game.
[16:16] <Haflinger> The lord of the house's status is basically determined by Influence.
[16:17] <Haflinger> However, also, the Status of other PCs is affected by the house's influence. If you guys get to Influence 41, the Lord's Status goes to 5 and everyone moves up a notch.
[16:18] <Haflinger> Status is still bought with XP like other stats, but the difference is that it has this other requirement as well.
[16:18] <Haflinger> Smallfolk PCs aren't affected though.
[16:19] <Margrave> anyone playing as smallfolk?
[16:19] <Haflinger> Possibly.
[16:19] <Haflinger> I haven't got character ideas for everyone yet.

[16:24] <Haflinger> the resources currently stand at: defense 26 influence 34 lands 28 law 20 population 27 power 20 wealth 31
[16:25] <Haflinger> your best numbers are in wealth+influence currently
[16:25] <Haflinger> the only problem stats are law and power.
[16:25] <Margrave> I'd like to invest a point into our power
[16:26] <spankthefrank> do we roll first
[16:26] <spankthefrank> and then place the points?
[16:26] <Haflinger> Nope.
[16:26] <Haflinger> Each player says "I want to add to X"
[16:26] <spankthefrank> damn, risky then
[16:26] <Haflinger> then I roll a die
[16:26] <Haflinger> then the next player says.
[16:26] <spankthefrank> alright
[16:26] <Haflinger> so it's not THAT bad because you know if I roll a 1 or a 6.
[16:27] <Haflinger> I will make some extra comments.
[16:27] <Haflinger> 20 Defense is sufficient for a hall or keep, but not a castle. Or you can have two towers.
[16:27] <Haflinger> A small castle requires a 30 defense.
[16:28] <Haflinger> If you guys want to focus on Oldtown, castles are probably superfluous. A keep outside the city walls should be fine.
[16:28] <spankthefrank> i'll go for deff then
[16:29] <dasnoob> what will we for 31 in land?
[16:29] <dasnoob> lands*
[16:29] <Margrave> I thought we'd have an estate in Oldtown and lands further away
[16:29] <Haflinger> 31 is quite a bit, esp. in the Reach which is entirely plains.
[16:29] <Haflinger> Well, your lands could be close to Oldtown if you want that.
[16:30] <Haflinger> The way land investment works is you buy a domain, and the different features inside it cost different point totals. You add them together.
[16:30] <Margrave> who is Lord in Oldtown?
[16:30] <Haflinger> heh welll
[16:30] <Haflinger> Hightower is important. The Citadel is important.
[16:30] <Haflinger> Oldtown is -big-
[16:31] <Margrave> yeah
[16:31] <Margrave> I just don't remember alot about Oldtown
[16:31] <Margrave> worried the current lord might be a bit of an territory seizing asshole
[16:31] <Haflinger> the City Watch is run by the Tyrells.
[16:31] <Haflinger> in theory Hightower rules though.
[16:31] <Margrave> gotcha
[16:32] <Haflinger> but in practice, it's a huge city, and many houses are important.
[16:32] <spankthefrank> Oldtown is ruled from Hightower
[16:33] <Haflinger> Margrave, you wanted a die somewhere right?
[16:33] <Haflinger> what was it?
[16:34] <Haflinger> goddamn staring at all these walls of text.
[16:34] <spankthefrank> Margrave I'd like to invest a point into our power 22:26
[16:34] <Haflinger> aha OK.
[16:35] <Haflinger> the roll is 3
[16:35] <Haflinger> the resources currently stand at: defense 26 influence 34 lands 28 law 20 population 27 power 23 wealth 31
[16:36] <dasnoob> ill like to set point in land
[16:37] <spankthefrank> and i would like to roll for defense
[16:38] <Haflinger> dasnoob said first
[16:38] <Haflinger> his roll is 6 lol
[16:38] <dasnoob> yes!
[16:38] <spankthefrank> 1up
[16:38] <Haflinger> the resources currently stand at: defense 26 influence 34 lands 34 law 20 population 27 power 23 wealth 31
[16:38] <Haflinger> spankthefrank, you still want defense?
[16:39] <spankthefrank> 1 sec
[16:39] <spankthefrank> nah lets put it in population
[16:40] <Haflinger> more people!
[16:40] <spankthefrank> ?
[16:40] <Haflinger> population is a funny stat
[16:40] <Haflinger> for most of them, more is always better
[16:40] <spankthefrank> oh
[16:41] <Haflinger> population however is sort of ideal about 31-40
[16:41] <Haflinger> when you get too many people, you start getting problems
[16:41] <Haflinger> can't feed them etc.
[16:41] <Haflinger> however you're still below the sweet spot of 31-40
[16:41] <spankthefrank> well lets go for the +1up then
[16:41] <Haflinger> pop?
[16:42] <Margrave> ?
[16:42] <spankthefrank> yep
[16:42] <Haflinger> a 5
[16:42] <Haflinger> the resources currently stand at: defense 26 influence 34 lands 34 law 20 population 32 power 23 wealth 31
[16:43] <Haflinger> and that's everyone who's here now

Member Awards ()

#29 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:19 PM

I tried hopping on IRC but my client has been acting up today. Put mine in influence.

#30 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:38 PM

Stets added a die to Defence.

Stets rolls a 6. Defense is now 32-Good defenses with, almost certainly, a castle, along with a few other strong points. Roads and rivers provide easy transportation. Alternatively, natural terrain features, such as mountains or swamps, provide additional fortification.

Shokkou rolls a 3. Influence is now 37, and the description does not change.

Member Awards ()

#31 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 November 2015 - 11:25 AM

There is an IRC channel for this game. Once we've settled on a house name I will make a permanent channel, but for now it's #HouseUnknown on Coldfront.

You don't have to use IRC to play the game, but if you want to try and come find me or your other players that way feel free. :)

Member Awards ()

#32 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:44 PM

Jor picked Influence, and JC picked Wealth. Both got a 6. What is with this situation? You guys are rolling the pips off the dice. That changes Influence to 43: Maximum Lord's Status 5. A powerful minor house with colorful history. Examples include House Florrent and House Frey. Wealth is now 37, and the description doesn't change.

Member Awards ()

#33 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

Hiya.

I think yolo is the only player who has yet to make his resource roll. He will hopefully pick a resource other than Influence and I'll roll a die (maybe not another 6 lol).

The next step is historical events. The way this works is, there are 6 time periods your house could be founded in, going from all the way back in the Age of Heroes or just founded around Robert's Rebellion at the most recent. You either pick a historical period to found in or I roll it. Then, there's a roll for how many historical events you get, where the older you are the more you tend to get, and then I roll the actual events themselves. The first event is what happened at the time your house was founded.

There didn't seem to be a consensus on what time-period people wanted, and from the various character ideas that I've been given it doesn't really matter to anyone's character all that much: you should still be able to play whatever you like. Of course it matters a lot to me, because I'm the one coming up with plots, and if your house is older or newer that makes a huge difference in the setting. However, I also have no preference.

So, you can die-roll it, or pick it from the list, if everyone agrees. The possibilities are Ancient (during the Age of Heroes); Very Old (around the time of the Andal invasion); Old (around the time of the Rhoynar Invasion); Established (around the time of Aegon’s Conquest); Recent (perhaps during the Blackfyre Rebellion); or New (sometime in the last fifty years or thereabouts).

Once the events are rolled, then we move on to interpreting them. The events given in the book are pretty vague, we'll be filling in the details to give your house an actual history rather than just a bland list. The first event is by far the most important, because it describes how your house was founded.

So: Does anyone object to just die-rolling the era, or should I do that and then die-roll the events and we go from there?

Member Awards ()

#34 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 26 November 2015 - 05:45 AM

yolo is still the only player to not pick a Resources die, and you guys are still the only ones to not voice an opinion vis-a-vis the house's founding era. All the Last Call people were in favour of just rolling it, while Margrave would prefer Ancient but is OK with rolling it.

Member Awards ()

#35 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 11:55 AM

I don't care too much how old our house is.

#36 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2015 - 09:18 AM

Yolo rolls a 3 for Population. Thus, our final totals are:

Defense: 26- Defensible, with at least one fortified town or keep. Roads and trails are present, and rivers or ports are likely.
Influence: 43- Maximum Lord's Status 5. A powerful minor house with colorful history. Examples include House Florrent and House Frey.
Lands: 34- An area of land that includes several terrain features, islands, or large groups of islands, House Greyjoy for example.
Law: 20- Lawlessness and banditry are a problem along the fringes of your lands.
Population: 35- Modest population. At least one town and several small hamlets.
Power: 23- A modest force of soldiers, including some trained troops.
Wealth: 37- Prosperous. Your family has the funds to live in accordance with their station.

Now to historical events. We're still waiting on Jorost to give an opinion on the house founding era.

Member Awards ()

#37 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

Roll it, baby.

Member Awards ()

#38 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 27 November 2015 - 06:31 PM

heh

ALRIGHTY THEN!

House era roll: 3. This means your house is from the time of the Rhoynar Invasion or thereabouts. That's when Dorne was settled, so kindof a big deal in the history of The Reach.

Events roll: 6. Christ, another one. Rhoynar Invasion period houses get +1 event, so we have seven events to work out.

First event: 16. Good event. Glory. +6 Defense, +1 Influence, +4 Law, +2 Power

A family wins glory through a military victory, personal achievement, or by a great act of heroism. Glory is similar to ascent, but it focuses on one figure in your family’s past.The result of this individual’s deeds advances your family’s standing in the eyes of its peers.

Generally, glory as a first historical event should imply that your house was formed as a reward for the great acts of their founder.

Second event: 10. Negative event. Decline. -5 Influence, -2 Lands, -6 Power, -1 Wealth

Whether from a poor marriage, a downturn in trade, or a series of tragic losses in a conflict, your house entered a period of decline.

Third event: 6. Negative event. Kinda. Madness. +1 Defense, +1 Influence, -1 Lands, +1 Law, +2 Population, -3 Power, +4 Wealth

Inbreeding, fell secrets, disease, or mental defects can produce derange- ment and madness among any people of Westeros, including its rulers. A madness historical event indicates that a particular figure suffered from some insanity, producing unpredictable results, with positive or negative outcomes.

Fourth event: 14. Positive event. Victory. +6 Defense, +6 Influence, +5 Power

Your family achieved an important victory over their enemies. Foes could include ironmen reavers, a King-beyond-the-Wall, or a rival house. In any event, your family rose in prominence and power because of their victory.

Fifth event: 7. Negative event. Invasion/Revolt. -7 Law, -3 Population, -3 Power, -3 Wealth

An invasion or revolt marks a period of collapse, destruction, and ruin. Most of these results come from an external invasion, either from ironmen, clansmen, or wildling raiders, or from an enemy house, but it can also stem from a period of inept rule that led to a widespread smallfolk revolt.

Sixth event: 10. Negative event. Decline. Again. -5 Influence, -2 Lands, -5 Power, -3 Wealth

Whether from a poor marriage, a downturn in trade, or a series of tragic losses in a conflict, your house entered a period of decline.

Seventh event: 8. Negative event. Scandal. -5 Influence, -6 Lands, -2 Power

Your family was involved in some disaster, a scandal that haunts them still. Good options include spawning a bastard, incest, failed conspiracies, and so on.

Net modifiers from all events: +13 Defense, -7 Influence, -11 Lands, -2 Law, -1 Population, -12 Power, -3 Wealth

Crap it's a good thing you guys rolled for power. Your military got decimated by these events. Still, you got some nice fortifications from them lol.

Your resources therefore end up looking like this:

Defense: 39- Good defenses with, almost certainly, a castle, along with a few other strong points. Roads and rivers provide easy transportation. Alternatively, natural terrain features, such as mountains or swamps, provide additional fortification.
Influence: 36- Maximum Lord's Status 4. A minor house. Examples include House Clegane, House Payne, and House Karstark.
Lands: 23- A modest stretch of land or medium-size island, such as House Frey.
Law: 18- Lawlessness and banditry are a problem along the fringes of your lands.
Population: 34- Modest population. At least one town and several small hamlets.
Power: 11- Small force of soldiers largely made up of smallfolk.
Wealth: 34- Prosperous. Your family has the funds to live in accordance with their station.

Now, I would like some theories as to what really happened in each of those events. I know some of you can use some of them as character tie-ins; in particular I expect Margrave to have some opinions about the last one. But we need details for all of them, even the two really vague decline events.

Member Awards ()

#39 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

Stets posted this...

Here's some thoughts on the events:

1st Event ~ 700 BC - Glory: Since this is from the time of the Rhoynar Invasion, this should be pretty easy to say that we helped Nymeria when she arrived in Westeros.

2nd Event ~ 500 BC - Decline: Continued pressure from the Iron Fleets weakens our power.

3rd Event 114 BC - Madness: The Doom of Valyria convinces the current leader of our house that the world is ending.

4th Event 157-161 AC- Victory: We help with the conquest of Dorne.

5th Event 196 AC - Invasion/Revolt: As significant portion of our house joins in the Blackfyre Rebellion. We hold out but it's bloody.

6th Event 196-283 AC - Decline: As the power of House Baratheon rises our house's flame dims culimnating in Robert's Rebellion.

7th Event 284 AC - Scandal: Robert is made to believe that we were accomplices in the rescue of Viserys and Daenerys Targaryen out of Dragonstone.

Member Awards ()

#40 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Sounds good to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users