High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:09 PM

Alright, since the last one got a bit heated, feel free to keep it going here. Few things though.
Diplos post this in their applications here: "I, [Nation ruler] of [Nation name], representing my alliance of [Name of Alliance], swear to follow any and all rules set by Invicta on my visits, I will conduct myself in a good manner at all times."
And all Invicta members swear to this in the oath: "I will conduct myself in an appropriate manner in all channels of communication used by the alliance. I will respect my fellow members at all times."

Keep that in mind.

Secondly, it is fine to discuss, debate, and civilly argue your points. It is fine to disagree with others. It is NOT COOL to make fun of, ridicule, mock, or openly disparage others or their beliefs. I WILL hand out warns in this thread if you do not follow that.

Thirdly, this is the internet, and CN is a game. There is no point in getting worked up over something as silly as a thread on a tiny forum about an internet game that maybe two dozen people will see. Remember to breathe and keep your cool.

Fourth, on a more personal note, I never understood these threads. At the end of the day, no one is going to change their opinion. And everything you can say has probably already been said elsewhere, only better and shorter. But hey, every time one of these threads is made it usually hits double digits in pages, so here goes.

Member Awards ()

#2 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Does God exist? Why or why not?
What do you mean by "God"?

Member Awards ()

#3 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Ooooh. Brutal.

Nope. There's no concrete evidence of a god, and circumstantial evidence of there not being one (by way of everything being explained by reductionist theorems). And by God I mean all of it, Theist, Deist, Pantheist... the only ones I'll note as likely are ones that are entirely metaphore :P

BEGIN THE HATING ON REDEZRA (you know you all want to see it)

#4 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:19 PM

Do not do this anymore. Destroy this thread because all it has shown is the low points in all of us. It doesn't matter what we believe. We cannot judge each other this way because we only judge negatively. It only allows us to hurt each other. I did a monstrous thing on the other thread and I don't want it to happen again to anyone.

No more

Member Awards ()

#5 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

No judging in this thread :P

If you want you can just read and not post. Or simply not read the thread (which I wish I could do!).
but it comes up from time to time and given the gigantic walls of text being posted in the other one, it's probably time we had it again. And I drew the short straw.

Playing angelic advocate (see whut I did thar?): Redezra, how would you prove the existence of God? Or, a god?

Member Awards ()

#6 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

I don't judge negatively~

I mean seriously, I tell it like it is.
This was a play to let you make your point known in an environment where there'd be rules n stuff. No angry-dezra... just the usual chop-your-beliefs-up-into-sushi-dezra.

mmm sushi.

#7 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm not participating

Member Awards ()

#8 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

I see you're dodging my question Redezra :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#9 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

Ok.

Hey, Alyster, what do you think? :D

#10 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

That's exactly why I'm not participating

Member Awards ()

#11 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

I think Laerz is asking a wrong question. Or at least in a wrong manner.

In religion we have a long list of things we can or can not do. Me and many other gay people are pressacuted by the church because apparently God said you can't lay with another man like you do with a woman. Then there's the 10 commands and so on. Not only Christianity but any religion gives us a set of rules we have to follow.

Now if you can't prove the existence of God, where do these rules come from and why?

This is the place where atheist get it easy. We don't have to prove the non existance of God. We just ask questions why religious people do things the way they do.

Edited by Алйстьер, 09 January 2013 - 08:38 PM.

#12 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:40 PM

In religion we have a long list of things we can or can not do. Me and many other gay people are pressacuted by the church because apparently God said you can't lay with another man like you do with a woman. Then there's the 10 commands and so on. Not only Christianity but any religion gives us a set of rules we have to follow.

Now if you can't prove the existence of God, where do these rules come from and why?

This is the place where atheist get it easy. We don't have to prove the non existance of God. We just ask questions why religious people do thing the way they do.

This is where my beliefs and many other christans (not all) disagree from the church. If you notice the 10 commandments don't include anything about being gay but it does about lying. Therefore, is lying more sinful than be gay? What about greed? Greed and Lust are both two of the "deadly" sins yet look around? How many people lie every day that are christans? How many people are greedy? How many people lust for others? Every damn one of them. Even the Pope has lied or bent the truth. So, I honestly don't think gays should be prosecuted by the church unless liars are done the same way. And that would be everyone. Just my 2 cents

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:42 PM

Mmm, I spose. I think the strong atheism response is what we want to achieve... to be able to say that there is absolutely no chance of a God existing in the sense that Theists would want it to.

Also, my true ire is saved for organised religion, because yeah, they do know they're an evil control system. They just want to believe they're the good guys.

#14 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Mmm, I spose. I think the strong atheism response is what we want to achieve... to be able to say that there is absolutely no chance of a God existing in the sense that Theists would want it to.

Also, my true ire is saved for organised religion, because yeah, they do know they're an evil control system. They just want to believe they're the good guys.

There is a reason I'm not Catholic :P

Member Awards ()

#15 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Saaame~ :3

I'm just more extreme.

#16 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:45 PM

I believe that no one has the right to judge other people. So the LGBT group should be protected and have equal rights as human beings. Plus, I believe everyone is entitled to their own views and that they shouldn't be judged. Just because I'm religious doesn't mean I am a bad stupid simpleton. It just means I view things differently at times. I don't even go to church that much because I don't like how it feels more like a set schedule of praise and not spontaneous. Too much emphasis is put on ritual.

Member Awards ()

#17 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

This is the place where atheist get it easy. We don't have to prove the non existance of God. We just ask questions why religious people do thing the way they do.

This is where my beliefs and many other christans (not all) disagree from the church. If you notice the 10 commandments don't include anything about being gay but it does about lying. Therefore, is lying more sinful than be gay? What about greed? Greed and Lust are both two of the "deadly" sins yet look around? How many people lie every day that are christans? How many people are greedy? How many people lust for others? Every damn one of them. Even the Pope has lied or bent the truth. So, I honestly don't think gays should be prosecuted by the church unless liars are done the same way. And that would be everyone. Just my 2 cents

You bring up another point. Christianity differs so much. Almost every Christian has his or her own religion. This one is yours. If there is God or even a set of different gods, it has to be one and the same for you, me and TDE. TDE in another topic linked an article where someone argued in favor of intelligent design. While the pope John Paul II already argued in favour of darwinism (just with a little divine touch).

Do you know how hard it is to keep up with you people :D

Edited by Алйстьер, 09 January 2013 - 08:51 PM.

#18 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:53 PM

Well, since I'm still playing my role here:

I'm sure you'd all agree that as time goes on, technology increases. In fact, given enough time, humanity will spread to the stars. Then at some point, we'd begin creating stars.
In fact, since time is technically infinite, humanity would be able to accomplish anything through technology. So, wouldn't it be possible that, given enough time, humanity would be able to create life on a planet and guide it's growth without interfering?

In other words, wouldn't it be possible that there is a superior being that created us? Perhaps not a supreme being, but a superior one? In fact, given the history and age of the universe, there is a strong possibility of this?

And ergo, a proof for the existence of a god.

The difference between a god, and a God (usually characterized by the Judeo-Chrsitian God) is that God has 6 defining characteristics. God must be infinite, all-good, all-knowing, all-powerful, unchanging, and omnipresent (everywhere).

So, given that we have a rough proof for the existence of a god, do you think it would be possible for that god to be the God, with the six characteristics?
EDIT: If not, then how many characteristics would it have?

Member Awards ()

#19 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

My other major problem is with people who honestly, literally believe holy books. I mean, it's infuriating.

I don't mean to hate on people for it, but it's like... hmm... translating my usual one for guys, it's like buying a fake rolex and honestly believing it's real. And it's not even close to a good fake. Someone shows you the real one and you're like "Nah that's the fake" while it's systematically shown to you that the band is real gold unlike your gold plated band, and the hands are actually platinum not aluminium... it's a cheap imitation of how the universe is, is what I'm saying. It's like a person listening to 56kb wma files and saying "This is the best ever"... cause I'm an audiophile. I love music, and I dislike anything that isn't insanely high quality. Why? Well, if you could go with what's better, why not?

I love the universe.... and if people are underestimating how awesome it can be, then I gotta tell them :P

#20 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

It's like this. If someone asked you to wait at a bench until you return how long would you wait? That is the question of religion. We wait and we wait for the return of Christ and sometimes we grow tired of waiting. But there are some of us who still wait. They wait in the pouring rain and in the blistering sun. They wait until they die. Now for some that is a pitiful existence. But it is not as simple as that. You wait by living. Live your life according to ten simple rules to keep you good and that's all you need to do. That and believe that someone will return like they said. It is very difficult to keep waiting especially when so many people have stopped.

Ancient aliens theory is a little far fetched but some believe it is possible. But has there been enough time thus far?

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users