• 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 June 2016 - 04:26 AM

This is a really cool article on how US politics has gone to shit.

Fun fact, it's because the establishment is dying. Those of us that like real politics, please read and comment, I want to see what you think.

I personally like the concept of the "politiphobe";

Using polls and focus groups, Hibbing and Theiss-Morse found that between 25 and 40 percent of Americans (depending on how one measures) have a severely distorted view of how government and politics are supposed to work. I think of these people as “politiphobes,” because they see the contentious give-and-take of politics as unnecessary and distasteful. Specifically, they believe that obvious, commonsense solutions to the country’s problems are out there for the plucking. The reason these obvious solutions are not enacted is that politicians are corrupt, or self-interested, or addicted to unnecessary partisan feuding. Not surprisingly, politiphobes think the obvious, commonsense solutions are the sorts of solutions that they themselves prefer. But the more important point is that they do not acknowledge that meaningful policy disagreement even exists. From that premise, they conclude that all the arguing and partisanship and horse-trading that go on in American politics are entirely unnecessary. Politicians could easily solve all our problems if they would only set aside their craven personal agendas.

If politicians won’t do the job, then who will? Politiphobes, according to Hibbing and Theiss-Morse, believe policy should be made not by messy political conflict and negotiations but by ensids: empathetic, non-self-interested decision makers. These are leaders who will step forward, cast aside cowardly politicians and venal special interests, and implement long-overdue solutions. ensids can be politicians, technocrats, or autocrats—whatever works. Whether the process is democratic is not particularly important.

This point of view is rampant. And horribly wrong. And consequentially the power base behind people like Barack Obama, Bernie Sanders, and Donald Trump.

#2 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 June 2016 - 08:56 AM

What a majority of so called Politiphobes(and hyperpartisans) fail to realize is that compromise is KEY to getting anything done, be it common sense or otherwise.
What's good for the goose, 99% of the time, isn't.good for the gander.
Compromising is seen as a weakness anymore, and if you even consider it, you are labled a traitor to "the cause", whatever it may be.

Member Awards ()

#3 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 June 2016 - 03:50 PM

Going by the title of the topic, I thought this was going to be about 1787. My bad.

Member Awards ()

#4 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 June 2016 - 10:08 PM

Going by the title of the topic, I thought this was going to be about 1787. My bad.

I'm going to assume you just plain don't like America.

HEY GUYS, HAF DOESN'T LIKE FREEDOM

#5 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2016 - 04:02 AM

Good read. It's really a shame our government can't compromise anymore. But I suppose this was bound to happen at some point. It always gets worse before it gets better.

Member Awards ()

#6 Haflinger

Haflinger

Flipper

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 10259 posts
  • Ruler Name:Haflinger
  • Nation Name:Llonach
  • IRC Nick:Haflinger
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:30 AM

Redezra would have a point if I hadn't already made it clear that I like crazy people. B-)

Member Awards ()

#7 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:24 AM

This just sounds like everybody who's ever been in to politics ever.

Member Awards ()

#8 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2016 - 02:24 PM

This just sounds like everybody who's ever been in to politics ever.*

*Since the Reformation

Member Awards ()

#9 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 10:38 PM

This is itself overly simplistic self-congratulatory masturbation. The things being brought up here are not mutually exclusive, specifically uninformed voters and corrupt self-interested politicians. Furthermore, I don't think it's particularly constructive to give in to the desire to brand a class of people with some generalized buzzword. They're uninformed voters. That works pretty well. Coming up with a trendy buzzword for them, especially one that (incorrectly, I might add) abuses the tired "-phobe" suffix only makes you look mighty similar to the radicalized fringes of the left and right who have nothing but disdain for everyone who disagrees with their points of view. You don't like having no control over your borders? You're a racist. You don't want to lock down your country into one racial group? You're a cuck. You don't like compromising on your values? You're a politiphobe. I have one. You can't challenge opposing views without smugly resorting to buzzwords? You're a cunt.

#10 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:21 PM

I honestly don't care what people call it, it's a cool concept.

#11 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 23 June 2016 - 11:27 PM

>people who disagree with how I think politics ought to work are idiots

>but compromise is a requirement

Let me pick my ass up off the floor and send a shuttle to retrieve my sides from orbit.

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:59 AM

American politics went insane largely as a result of the Republican party's lurch to right-wing extremism in the last 30 years. The Democrats, ever the followers, adapted into spineless asshats in response. The good news is that the Libertarians seem poised to displace the GOP as the major center-right party, and they are a lot less ideological. I disagree with Gary Johnson about a lot of things, but it was refreshing to hear candidates talk about being willing to actually discuss issues and arrive at compromises.

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 June 2016 - 10:26 PM

Let me pick my ass up off the floor and send a shuttle to retrieve my sides from orbit.

>shuttle

>>you mean those mothballed things

Yeah okay bub.

American politics went insane largely as a result of the Republican party's lurch to right-wing extremism in the last 30 years. The Democrats, ever the followers, adapted into spineless asshats in response. The good news is that the Libertarians seem poised to displace the GOP as the major center-right party, and they are a lot less ideological. I disagree with Gary Johnson about a lot of things, but it was refreshing to hear candidates talk about being willing to actually discuss issues and arrive at compromises.

Basically this.

#14 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:39 AM

"Right-wing extremism" is a term that has been abused by the left to broadly apply to "anything that is right of what I agree with" to the point of meaninglessness. This is, in part, a big reason why claims by the left that Euroskeptics are "racist far-right" have not been readily accepted by the wider public. Are there racist extremists in the mix? Undoubtedly. There are extremists in the mix in any ideology, but you've cried wolf too much in the past 20-30 years and now no one is listening anymore. The Republican party as it exists today is viewed by many to be just as castrated and spineless as the mainstream Democrats. Again though, because they say things you disagree with confirmation bias kicks in.

>shuttle

>>you mean those mothballed things

Yeah okay bub.

With both the efficiency and comedic sense of a German, you've accomplished the mission with a fraction of the effort I ever could have. My sides' orbit has decayed, they've re-entered the atmosphere, and been safely recovered. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users