• 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:49 AM

First, I am aware that there are Big Doings in Invicta, with which I will need to be closely involved. More on that in the appropriate threads. This is just me ranting.

Have I ever mentioned how much I hate real life? Being an adult sucks. As some of you know, I have been trying to buy my grandmother's house after she moved to a nursing home. This is more complicated than I ever would have imagined, not least because Medicaid does not make anything easy. The short version is this:

In order for Medicaid to pay for a senior's nursing home care, that senior cannot possess any assets worth more than about $2,000. That includes their home, if they own one. (There are various exceptions for spouses, dependent children, caregivers, etc.) That means the house has to be sold at some point. Usually Medicaid places a lien against it, and may issue an order to sell if it becomes clear that the senior is never going to return home. In some cases it does not need to be sold until after the senior dies. 

This is where we are now with my grandmother's house. I have been living in it and maintaining it since she went into the nursing home. Medicaid has sent us a statement indicating that they intend to place a lien against it, but there has been no order to sell.

Our attorney told us, back when all this started in December, that in cases like ours statute allows a family member to purchase a family member's house for 2/3 the assessed value. This was good news, as 2/3 is just about what I can afford. This is the way we proceeded.

In the meantime, there were still two months of my grandmother's nursing home stay that were not covered by Medicaid, and for this time period the nursing home considers her to have been "private pay" (this despite the fact that we expressly told them that she had no money when they first admitted her, but that is a separate story), and the bill amounts to about $23,500. The nursing home is now suing us (and by "us" I mean my grandmother, but my mother has power of attorney and manages her estate) for this money, listing the house as an asset. They are looking to place a lien against it as well. My mother and I have to go to court tomorrow afternoon.

Which brings us back to me buying the house. Remember that thing about a family member being able to buy the house for 2/3 the value and still satisfy Medicaid? Yeah, no one else has ever heard of that. It appears to be a figment of our lawyer's imagination. Even another elder lawyer with whom we consulted had never heard of it. Still, when I questioned her more directly our lawyer assured me it is done, and that she needs to negotiate with Medicaid. So now it's not clear whether I can buy the house. If Medicaid insists on the full assessed value I won't be able to afford it. And no one can give us a straight answer.

Our lawyer said she has never heard of a nursing home placing a lien against someone's house. They know they are going to get paid when the house is sold (outstanding nursing home bills get paid before Medicaid). Both lawyers, who have had dealings with this nursing home, expressly stated that they are well known to be assholes. We knew that already.

This is why I hate real life.

Member Awards ()

#2 BlackOut227

BlackOut227

Someone save me

• Minister of War
  • 323 posts
  • Ruler Name:BlackOut227
  • Nation Name:Bloodlust
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 04:32 PM

Which nursing home? Maybe I can get some dirty on 'em and/or keep my family away from them.

I am sorry to hear that. It's terrible nursing homes are like that are allowed to exist.

Member Awards ()

#3 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:07 PM

In some cases it does not need to be sold until after the senior dies.

Is this what happens when you get old? People just wait for you to die? This made me sad.

Member Awards ()

#4 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 06:18 PM

It's kinda depressing.

I can't even come up with words of wisdom or help. It's just shitty.

What can you even do? Continue to adult. You have our love Jorost (or mine, and any fake condolences I can force out of these people).

Member Awards ()

#5 King Biscuit

King Biscuit

Wanna see a dead body?

• President Emeritus
  • 6393 posts
  • Ruler Name:King Biscuit
  • Nation Name:Ovencia
  • IRC Nick:KingBeard
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:05 PM

We treat our elders like shit and it's a Goddamn shame.
Just one more thing to profit off of.

Im so mad for you Jor.

Give em hell.

:godwillsit:

Member Awards ()

#6 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 07:23 PM

Real life is best life. 

Member Awards ()

#7 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 08:31 PM

Best of luck to ya Hope things get situated real fast.

Member Awards ()

#8 slimshadyinc

slimshadyinc
  • Former Member
  • 503 posts
  • Ruler Name:slimshadyinc
  • Nation Name:United Freedom State
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 April 2016 - 11:44 PM

I hate the greed that has consumed our country. Everything is all about those damned federal reserve notes. Anyhow Jorost I feel for you, real life blows every damn day. But occasionally the great days come that make us love life, may yours come soon and I hope they are plenty. But for now, do the best that you can and I wish you the best of luck. Give em hell man!

Member Awards ()

#9 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 April 2016 - 09:30 AM

I'm sorry to hear of the issues with your grandmom and because of it, I will go into a rant.

Once one goes into a nursing home their funds are fair game for the government.

Did I mention that big government is bad? Did I mention that taxing the shit out of people in order to provide for other people who the government decides need to be provided for (without taking into consideration those who actually need it) is bad? Oh yea, I did. I don't want to sound crude here, but if you are who's looking after her, make damn well sure you have her estate in order, otherwise, all her money will disappear, into the government's pockets, to do with as they feel fit. My father is going through a lot of this crap right now with my mom dying years ago.  He needs a to get a TAX ID# to cash a $10 dividend check that's in my mom's name and the idiot child at the bank told him "oh you just go to whatever on your phone and apply for it" (to a 70 year old MAN!) If not for me having a bit of clue, the money would be gone. It's a fight to get the money that's entitled to the estate because the government makes you jump through hoops to get if it will even happen. Their grubby hands are all in the pot, because you know, there's people who need food stamps to provide for their children, because they can't afford food because their cell phone/netflix/brand new car (necessity?) bills are hundreds of dollars a month and there's banks that need to be bailed out because if they don't it will "destroy the economy".

Member Awards ()

#10 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

The solution, Thrash, is for all this shit to be covered by one national health insurer.

But anyway, all I'm waiting for now is for MassHealth (our version of Medicaid) to approve the sale price. After that all the other problems go away, because we can pay the nursing home the back amount owed (about $22,500 as it stands) and put the rest into a MassHealth-approved annuity, so at least it will accrue interest. Then, when she dies, MassHealth will take back however much they've spent (minus deductions for funeral costs and a bunch of other stuff), and if there's anything left over it will go to the heirs. If she lives more than a year or two there won't be anything left. So there's a financial incentive for your loved ones to die sooner. Nice, huh?

We've had the hardest time explaining all of this to my great-aunt (my grandmother's sister) Ursula in Germany. In Germany if you need to go into a nursing home, you go into as nursing home. The state doesn't come after your house.

Member Awards ()

#11 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 April 2016 - 12:47 AM

That's all shitty. Sounds like you're having even more fun than me!

Member Awards ()

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:02 PM

Well, it's all irrelevant now, anyway. Medicaid rejected my offer. So it looks like I'm not going to be able to save the house. :(

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:52 AM

:(

#14 rotty

rotty

The First 2 time Puppy President

• President Emeritus
  • 13429 posts
  • BJ Points:69696969
  • Ruler Name:rotty
  • Nation Name:Giggle
  • IRC Nick:rotty
  • Alliance Name:~ Invicta ~
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 April 2016 - 11:44 AM

Well, it's all irrelevant now, anyway. Medicaid rejected my offer. So it looks like I'm not going to be able to save the house. :(

burn it down and collect the insurance :D :D :D

(this was said in fun only and in no way meant for anyone to do anything illegal in the real life) 

Member Awards ()

#15 Learz

Learz

High Government

• Advisor
  • 3459 posts
  • Ruler Name:Learz
  • Nation Name:Eridani Empire
  • IRC Nick:Learz
  • Nation Link

Posted 23 April 2016 - 12:34 PM

This shouldn't be your first option ever, but if your lawyer made a mistake, they do carry malpractice insurance for a reason.

Also, if you ever want to terrify a lawyer, mention making a complaint to the state bar association.

Member Awards ()

#16 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 24 April 2016 - 09:08 PM

burn it down and collect the insurance :D :D :D

(this was said in fun only and in no way meant for anyone to do anything illegal in the real life) 

You mean burn it down and Medicaid collects the insurance.

Member Awards ()

#17 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 April 2016 - 04:14 AM

You mean burn it down and Medicaid collects the insurance.

Do it in such a way that it looks like an insurance job but not directed at you and..... The insurers to Medicaid:

1HWQIPa.gif

Member Awards ()

#18 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 April 2016 - 09:18 AM

Medicaid already has a lien on the house. Any money it generates goes into a Medicaid-approved annuity until my grandmother's death, after which it will be used to pay down her Medicaid expenses. If there is anything left afterward it would go to her heirs, but there probably won't be anything left.

This has been such an emotional up and down, it's been wearing on me. One day it looks like I'll be able to buy the house, the next day it doesn't, back and forth, back and forth. As it stands right now, Medicaid has rejected my offer of 2/3 the house's assessed value. However, that assessed value is almost certainly high, as it does not take into account the actual condition of the house (it needs a lot of work) or its real-world viability on the market. It is a very small house (700 square feet). There is only one bathroom, and is between the two bedrooms (they call it a "Jack and Jill" bathroom), so you always have to walk through a bedroom to get to the bathroom, which a lot of people would not like. It's too small for a family. There is no dishwasher, no air conditioning, and nothing has been updated since the '80s. So with all these things in mind we are hoping to get a lower valuation and go from there.

Member Awards ()

#19 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 April 2016 - 11:28 AM

Sounds, honestly pretty unlivable, if not legally unsellable (if not virtually unsellable) in its current state. People buy to flip all the time. But that all depends on the area/valuation.

I digress.

Sorry for the shit dude. Don't ignore Learz' advice, maybe ignore rotty. Keep us posted.

Member Awards ()

#20 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 25 April 2016 - 12:02 PM

"Unlivable" is probably too strong. After all I live there, and my grandmother did so for many years. But it does not have the amenities that people expect of modern homes, and it certainly doesn't have the size. The electrical system is way out of date (it doesn't even have three-prong outlets). If it goes for sale on the open market a contractor is going to buy it, tear it down, and replace it with a McMansion (which will barely fit on the parcel, but I bet they'll do it anyway). I would like to avoid that if possible.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users