Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Ruler Name:xR1 Fatal Instinct
  • Nation Name:Brotherhood of Steel
  • IRC Nick:xR1_Fatal_Instinct
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:25 PM

Kid brings a gun to school and shoots his Math teacher who is a former US Marine.

http://www.cnn.com/2....html?hpt=hp_t1

Member Awards ()

#2 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:45 PM

This is just horrific.

Violence is just so easy in this world.

I hope we find a solution, maybe force fields or something.

Member Awards ()

#3 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ellis
  • Nation Name:Straccia
  • IRC Nick:Ellis
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 06:48 PM

This is just horrific.

What if no guns? I'm just saying, forcefields are not necessary...

Member Awards ()

#4 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:12 PM

This is just horrific.

What if no guns? I'm just saying, forcefields are not necessary...

Becuase knives, explosions, bows and arrows, cars, catapualts, crossbows, small throwing knives, etc. would all still exist.

Guns not existing might be okay, but at the very best we go back to swords, which means the weak are at the mercy of the physically strong. I mean what, everyone is supposed to walk around in 75-100 pounds of Knight armor everywhere they go? It's just not pluasible even so, so it's kind of pointless. Besides arrows could pretty much get through that stuff.

I don't even think it's possible to get rid of guns.

I mean we could ban them in the U.S., and that wouldn't stop Russia, portugal, China, the sweatshop in Guatamalia, from making guns and smuggling them in here, so that's not pluasible etheir.

Member Awards ()

#5 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:33 PM

These kinds of tragedies are routine now.  If a classroom of dead kindergarteners failed to move the American body politic, this will barely be a blip on the radar.  Unless we'd all like to re-state our gun positions again.  Heh.

Member Awards ()

#6 Princess xR1

Princess xR1

Total Bitch

• Former Member
  • 1631 posts
  • Ruler Name:xR1 Fatal Instinct
  • Nation Name:Brotherhood of Steel
  • IRC Nick:xR1_Fatal_Instinct
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 07:51 PM

If we ban guns there are so many undocumented weapons (namely owned by gang members, etc) that it would be unrealistic to enforce a ban.

Member Awards ()

#7 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:14 PM

These kinds of tragedies are routine now.  If a classroom of dead kindergarteners failed to move the American body politic, this will barely be a blip on the radar.  Unless we'd all like to re-state our gun positions again.  Heh.

Ah, you're right. Just saying though, you'd see a hell of a lot less of these if gun's weren't legal, which was my point before Manoka set up the strawman again...

Member Awards ()

#8 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 08:20 PM

Ah, you're right. Just saying though, you'd see a hell of a lot less of these if gun's weren't legal, which was my point before Manoka set up the strawman again...

You claimed we wouldn't need force fields of guns didn't exist.

I say force fields would be useful against lots of things, including car accidents; yours is the only strawman, since you assumed I meant stopping gun violence, when I didn't. xP

Also making guns illegal doesn't mean they'd be less available.

There's the differentiation between legal and available.

For instance, a person could try to ban air or water for instance, and it might not work out too well.

But banning atom bombs from civilian usage might be more effective due to their rariry; an outright ban doesn't neccesarily mean usage will go down among particular groups. Other counter measures still need to be established. Since it's pretty easy to make guns, with a simple mill and lathe, as it's been done in many wars in many country's, it's not exactly an easy thing to ban.

Smuggling is a very profitable business; an Ak-47 that goes for 75 dollars in the middle east might go for 400-500 in the U.S.

If for every 100 pounds of marijuana, we smuggled in 1 gun, it would compensate for every violent crime in the U.S. Some shipments are pure guns; 100 pounds of marijuana is 2-6 million dollars; hell, 1 pound is 20,000-60,000. Would these ex military special forces smugglers from Mexico and Guatamalia not have guns? Problably not.

Edited by Manoka, 21 October 2013 - 08:27 PM.

Member Awards ()

#9 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 09:24 PM

Let's go around and around discussing our positions again!

Why was the gun not locked? Are the parents going to face any charges? Mental health.

Less guns, will in fact lead to less gun crimes. And xR1 we'd still have guns, but a gang members gun wasn't taken from the night stand and brought to school, so that is not important to this particular case.

We ban murders, but that's not going to stop people murdering. Impossible to enforce.

Member Awards ()

#10 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 10:42 PM

I know Americans are die hard gun lovers, not to want them banned....so won't debate that issue....but...

"The shooter took a handgun from his parents"

Seriously that is stupid and the parent the gun was registered to should serve time behind bars for the negligence which gave the killer the opportunity.

Member Awards ()

#11 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2013 - 11:12 PM

You claimed we wouldn't need force fields of guns didn't exist. - No, I claim there'd be less violence, especially of this kind, if guns were not legal, or at least better regulated.

I say force fields would be useful against lots of things, including car accidents; yours is the only strawman, since you assumed I meant stopping gun violence, when I didn't. xP

- Right, but until, y'know, forcefields are a practical possibility, how about we go with my plan? Also, since the topic is, in fact, gun violence, I feel safe in saying it wasn't my strawman, man.

Also making guns illegal doesn't mean they'd be less available. - Yes, it does.

There's the differentiation between legal and available. - Well sure, but they'd still be harder, and riskier to get hold of.

For instance, a person could try to ban air or water for instance, and it might not work out too well. - Hey, look, a man made of straw!

But banning atom bombs from civilian usage might be more effective due to their rariry; and again! an outright ban doesn't necessarily mean usage will go down among particular groups. Other counter measures still need to be established. Since it's pretty easy to make guns, with a simple mill and lathe, as it's been done in many wars in many country's, it's not exactly an easy thing to ban. Hmmm, I see what you mean, Americans probably would miss their guns so much they'd have to make them at home... But really, do you know how to make a gun like that? Sure, there might be at least one person in every village in whereveristan that can do that, but how many Americans can do that?

Smuggling is a very profitable business; an Ak-47 that goes for 75 dollars in the middle east might go for 400-500 in the U.S.

If for every 100 pounds of marijuana, we smuggled in 1 gun, it would compensate for every violent crime in the U.S. Some shipments are pure guns; 100 pounds of marijuana is 2-6 million dollars; hell, 1 pound is 20,000-60,000.[citation please] Would these ex military special forces smugglers from Mexico and Guatamalia not have guns? Problably not. Not sure what you're saying here.

Member Awards ()

#12 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 01:54 AM

Eh, my take on the whole issue is basically this. Banning guns would do something but I don't think it'd nip the problem in the bud. Crimes are illegal to commit, yet people do them anyway. So if guns are illegal, of course there's still gonna be those who will hide their weapons and so on. 

Member Awards ()

#13 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:17 AM

Gun control works great here.

Here's the theory

Police to do flowchart:

Does this man have a gun? Yes? Then he's a criminal, a dangerous armed criminal, and he needs to be stopped before he hurts someone.

No? Then he may go about his legal business :3

This works so well, because if any organized crime group is using guns, their entire organization can be cracked down on, on the simple offence of owning illegal weapons. Suddenly it's the literal worst idea ever for a criminal to have a gun, because it's an immediate "Go Straight To Jail" card, regardless of what else they've done. They can't get out of it.

Anyway, that's all I'll say. Anything else I post will be making fun of fringe topics~

#14 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 02:23 AM

Here's the theory

Police to do flowchart:

Does this man have a gun? Yes? Then he's a criminal, a dangerous armed criminal, and he needs to be stopped before he hurts someone.

This works so well, because if any organized crime group is using guns, their entire organization can be cracked down on, on the simple offence of owning illegal weapons. Suddenly it's the literal worst idea ever for a criminal to have a gun, because it's an immediate "Go Straight To Jail" card, regardless of what else they've done. They can't get out of it.

Anyway, that's all I'll say. Anything else I post will be making fun of fringe topics~

What about other weapons though? I mean...I have knives in my kitchen, I could kill my whole family right now if I desired to. Will the police also crackdown on people who own knives?

Member Awards ()

#15 Ellis

Ellis
  • Vice-Chancellor
  • 3612 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 04:01 AM

Here's the theory

Police to do flowchart:

What about other weapons though? I mean...I have knives in my kitchen, I could kill my whole family right now if I desired to. Will the police also crackdown on people who own knives?

Sure, but that's not the point. No one's saying getting rid of private gun ownership would stop all violent crime, or even stop all murder, but it would reduce gun crime to almost nothing, and given how dangerous and how deadly guns are, even in relatively unpractised hands, that's pretty good. For example, with a gun, your family have no chance. With a knife, maybe your Dad would be able to overpower you, maybe your sister would be able to escape. Or maybe not, but there'd be a better chance.

Member Awards ()

#16 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:22 AM

Any argument against my country's policy is irrelevant. It worked. It continues to work. Saying it won't for any reason is like putting your hands over your eyes and arguing why the sky can't be blue. Accept that such control methods reduce death, because they do.

Also, now I'm imagining Cowboys having knife fights.

#17 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:26 AM

Well true. I was looking at all the types of murders though. I'd think it's best to find something that'd deal with murder in general. 

And as far as the overpowering or escaping..if anyone really knows better, you'd do it when everyone's asleep. So that no one gets away, and no one makes a sound. In a way, people could get away with this easier since there's no gun to make a sound in this situation, and they can just silently do their thing, and no one would know until someone actually saw the dead bodies. It's even more worse than a gun, because at least the chances of that person getting what they deserve are higher, someone with a knife could do his thing, leave, and get away with it.

And Red yeah, it may work, in fact there's a good chance it would work, but, there's other weapons that if people really wanna kill someone, they'll use. I'd think just dealing with gun crimes is only part of the problem. :/

Also, just because something does well in Aussie doesn't mean Murica will follow suit...Murica is special like that. :3

Member Awards ()

#18 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 06:29 AM

Well, as I've mentioned previously, due to the fact that guns provide a highly efficient, convenient method of depersonalized killing, it will go (and has gone) a long way to reducing murders overall. It is extremely easy to kill someone with a rifle as opposed to killing someone with a machete. The closeness to the kill, the visceral nature of the event... it's very traumatizing psychologically.

#19 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 07:38 AM

There are all kinds of things that are successfully banned.  If the will to ban guns existed, it could be done.  But the will does not exist.  It would be nice to see tougher gun ownership/licensing laws, but as long as a paranoid, reactionary minority holds a disproportionate amount of power in this country (thanks, redistricting) even that is out of reach.

Member Awards ()

#20 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2013 - 05:42 PM

You claimed we wouldn't need force fields of guns didn't exist. - No, I claim there'd be less violence, especially of this kind, if guns were not legal, or at least better regulated.-"What if no guns? I'm just saying, forcefields are not necessary..."- This is a quote from you, a few posts before.

- Right, but until, y'know, forcefields are a practical possibility, how about we go with my plan? Also, since the topic is, in fact, gun violence, I feel safe in saying it wasn't my strawman, man.-If you're talking about all gun violence being reduced by removing guns, it's pluasible, but that doesn't mitigate a desire or need for force fields to prevent all violence, so it would be a strawman. Not that it really matters, since I didn't take the conversation seriously.

Also making guns illegal doesn't mean they'd be less available. - Yes, it does. -And this is based on?

There's the differentiation between legal and available. - Well sure, but they'd still be harder, and riskier to get hold of.-Criminals already smuggle thousands of guns and millions of pounds of drugs across the border all the time; the major drug cartels originate from outside their country and bring the guns they already have with them to use, and then ditch them by selling them along with the drugs to cover any evidence of their smuggling. At least 100,000 illegal immigrants are smuggled across the border every year, so a trunk full of guns doesn't seem out of place.

For instance, a person could try to ban air or water for instance, and it might not work out too well. - Hey, look, a man made of straw! -No, it's called an example. Allow me to explain; in reference to that, banning something doesn't mean it's use or availability will go down. Prohibition only works on things that aren't available through other means. Thus if we're talking about lowering crime rates for instance when using a particular device or method, availability is not regulated by legistlation as much as it is by the physical ability to acquire said things. Since alchohol for instance can be made from nearly any organic substance, such as potatoes (vodka), barley (beer), wheat (whiskey), even apples (apple cider), and recently grass and corn have been explored for use in cars, prohibition of alchohol wouldn't neccesarily work since all you need is something organic and a distillerly in order to proccess the sugar, meaning pretty much anyone can make it; in fact, it didn't work for this very reason, all it did was create an underground lucrative trade for it that gave the Mafia power. It hasn't worked on things like marijuana, but the number of civilians using atom bombs is non-existant. This is becuase atom bombs are relativley hard to produce and get the materials for. The effectivenss of a ban is not determined by legistlation, but the physical reality of obtaining goods neccesary for producing them. Thus automatically assuming a ban would work is a fallacy since you aren't considering the alternative methods of obtaining firearms or other goods. A ban is only as effective as long as goods are scarce. The number of illegally used rockets to go into space by civilians is zero becuase of this.

But banning atom bombs from civilian usage might be more effective due to their rariry; and again! an outright ban doesn't necessarily mean usage will go down among particular groups. Other counter measures still need to be established. Since it's pretty easy to make guns, with a simple mill and lathe, as it's been done in many wars in many country's, it's not exactly an easy thing to ban. Hmmm, I see what you mean, Americans probably would miss their guns so much they'd have to make them at home... But really, do you know how to make a gun like that? Sure, there might be at least one person in every village in whereveristan that can do that, but how many Americans can do that? - Lots and lots of civilians hand load rounds as is, and make their own magazines and accessories. If guns were completely banned, they'd problably see a moral imperative to produce them. In Vietnam, guns were made using very simple tools; while only simple guns can be made, the best guns, the most favored guns, are favored for their simple designs. The Ak-47, 1911, and other popular firearms are created due to the fact that simplicity helps to produce reliability; heavier parts, brawn over design. An AR-15 has over 70 pars, while an Ak can have just 20 or so. The Ak-47 is not only cheaper and easier to make, but is more powerful, and nearly impossible to jam; you can run over it with cars, burry it in a lakebed for 40 years, and all kinds of things and it will still work fine. The AR-15 will explode in your face if it even has water in it, and it's very mechanism requires high to low heat operation; but, when it overheats, this doesn't work, and it will jam after 90 rounds, every time, due to over heating, if you fire that many rounds in just a few minutes. It has a rate of fire of 900 RPM, so it can happen very quickly. You can literally get the weapon to jam in under 6 seconds. And so, could they make crappy Ak-47's with simple hammer forged barrels that get 3-5 MOA with low grade machinery; yes. Could they simply retool basic steel working tools; yes. In fact, it's believed that this is how the Cartels are being armed, with Chinese, Al Qeada, and Guatamalian sweatshops are creating them, and they have access to signifigantly more sophisticated machinery. Will others be able to arm themselves; the answer is almost invariably yes.

If for every 100 pounds of marijuana, we smuggled in 1 gun, it would compensate for every violent crime in the U.S. Some shipments are pure guns; 100 pounds of marijuana is 2-6 million dollars; hell, 1 pound is 20,000-60,000.[citation please] Would these ex military special forces smugglers from Mexico and Guatamalia not have guns? Problably not. Not sure what you're saying here.

If you know a lot about the current smuggling situation, then you'd know these criminal organizations have no trouble coming hundreds of miles across our border and smuggling, literally millions of pounds of drugs; if just 1 gun was smuggled per 100 pounds, it would be enough to account for every violent crime in the U.S. This is a source for total poundage, and if you click on the first link, it's one for weed prices, although it's black market so no official price really exists. If weed costs 5-15 dollars per gram at it's cheapest, than 450 grams would be 5 x 450 (x3), or 2250 to 6750. But this is for very low grade weed.

As for the point of the post, it was to demonstrate how easy it would be to smuggle guns. You're a cartel member, with access to guns, grenades, rocket luanchers, and other such things. You smuggle in 1 pound of cocaine, and you bring a long 10 guns in case the police show up or someone tries to rob you. You sell the drugs to the local gang in the region, and your guns as well, in order to ditch all obvious connections back to yourself. When you return across the border in a few days, they might be suspicious of you, but since you don't have anything on you, you can go back. So, if for every 100 pounds of marijuana, a ridiculous amount, you could smuggle in just 1 gun, you could account for the few hundred thousand violent crimes involving firearms, then what would it be like if you smuggled in 10 guns along with every pound, a much more realistic outlook? The whole point is that it's really freaking easy to smuggle in drugs and guns. Why would banning them do any good if they can just be walked across the border?

The soviets made some 100 million Ak-47's, 100,000 T-54's, 50,000 T-55's, 50,000 T-72's; that's just in those tank models alone. In the last 60 years the U.S. has created just 20,000 tanks, compared to their 200,000 right there. The first persian gulf war saw the largest tank battle in history, with sovient design, but Iraqi produced tanks. If people are getting ahold of millions of Ak-47's, RPG-7's, and thousands of tanks by soviet design, what makes you think that the U.S. can ban guns and that the rest of the world would stop having goods smuggled into the U.S.? Cocaine and marijuana are banned and despite being used by the gram have millions of pound smuggled annually. It's crazy to think you can stop it by banning it, is my point. Their methods of obtaining and delivering these goods do not hinge on American legality.

Edited by Manoka, 22 October 2013 - 06:36 PM.

Member Awards ()

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users