Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 August 2014 - 05:28 PM

"While there is little doubt in my mind that many of these rebels are rebels, many more are likely legitimate Russian troops. And not just Russian troops, but elite forces, that is Special Forces."

Two people go apple picking, one picks 50 apples and the other picks 100 apples, out of the total amount of apples the other persons has many more apples which is also seen as the majority of the apples.

When you learn children level maths, you won't make statements like "many more" then say "I never said majority" then claim everyone is wrong but you, when in fact it is just you.

Get an education higher than kindergarden level and you will be respected more in debates.

Many more =/= majority. 

At this point you're arguing semantics, which doesn't even address what I'm saying at all. 

That is a very poor debate style. 

http://www.englishfo...e/mjmx/post.htm

Let's look at this news article Headline 

"TOP EBOLA DOCTOR WARNS: LIKELY MANY MORE CASES OF EBOLA IN AFRICA THAN REPORTED"

Does this mean the majority are unreported, or just that many more are unreported? The reality is that "many more" just designates an idea of an unspecified more. Nowhere has many more ever meant majority. 

"While there are many smokers who have heeded our advice, many more continue to smoke without regard for the health effects of doing so". Does this imply majority? It never has. It just implies an unspecified, but large amount who do not, evidence by the number of smokers out there. 

It's a very casual thing to say. I'm not sure how to explain that further. 

"how many more" is used in mathematics to tell the difference between two figures. Which is not "many more", and in any case mathematical operators have nothing to do with casual language.

Precision and accuracy both have very specific terms in science, but not in casual conversation. For the same reason "division" could mean a unit of soldiers, or separating something into parts in general, even if it's not equal parts like in mathematics. So that's a ludicrous comparison in it's own right. 

Edited by Manoka, 07 August 2014 - 05:31 PM.

Member Awards ()

#42 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 07 August 2014 - 09:47 PM

But anyways, back on topic, plenty of people, including the U.S., are saying it's Russian Special Forces and other Russian people. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into another Crimea "yeah, we were there, but, we just lied about it before hand cause, that's how we avoid any political problems initially". 

It just seems that if you outright lie to begin with, you can get away with anything. 

As soon as they achieve their objective,s if they do, they'll be talking about how it's a victory for Russia and holding up their own soldiers and things as heroes. 

Member Awards ()

#43 the rebel

the rebel
  • Former Member
  • 1961 posts
  • Ruler Name:the rebel
  • Nation Name:rebellion
  • IRC Nick:TheRebel
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 August 2014 - 07:46 AM

"While there is little doubt in my mind that many of these rebels are rebels, many more are likely legitimate Russian troops. And not just Russian troops, but elite forces, that is Special Forces."

Two people go apple picking, one picks 50 apples and the other picks 100 apples, out of the total amount of apples the other persons has many more apples which is also seen as the majority of the apples.

When you learn children level maths, you won't make statements like "many more" then say "I never said majority" then claim everyone is wrong but you, when in fact it is just you.

Get an education higher than kindergarden level and you will be respected more in debates.

Many more =/= majority. 

At this point you're arguing semantics, which doesn't even address what I'm saying at all. 

Its not a poor debate style, if you cannot understand what you're saying then you shouldn't be debating it.

Your example is a strawman and irrelevant as its not an relevant comparision in the context, you stated at max 3 different groups of people in your whole OP; rebels, russian troops and special forces. The way you worded it it stated that the rebels were the minority and the russian troops and special forces were the majority of those fighting.

But anyways, back on topic, plenty of people, including the U.S., are saying it's Russian Special Forces and other Russian people. 

I wouldn't be surprised if this turned into another Crimea "yeah, we were there, but, we just lied about it before hand cause, that's how we avoid any political problems initially". 

It just seems that if you outright lie to begin with, you can get away with anything. 

As soon as they achieve their objective,s if they do, they'll be talking about how it's a victory for Russia and holding up their own soldiers and things as heroes. 

If this was another Crimea, then Russia would of absorbed them into the fold straight after their said elections.

Member Awards ()

#44 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:46 PM

Many more =/= majority. 

Its not a poor debate style, if you cannot understand what you're saying then you shouldn't be debating it.

Your example is a strawman and irrelevant as its not an relevant comparision in the context, you stated at max 3 different groups of people in your whole OP; rebels, russian troops and special forces. The way you worded it it stated that the rebels were the minority and the russian troops and special forces were the majority of those fighting.

According to you. xP

I was pretty sure they way I talked about it this whole time, including saying that many were in fact rebels, was hopefully enough to drive home the point that I didn't think they were all special forces. In fact, many are probably regulars, such as airborne forces; and there's likely mechanized as well. 

If this was another Crimea, then Russia would of absorbed them into the fold straight after their said elections.

They simply aren't going to be as successful; while they had bases in Crimea and it's far removed from the rest of Ukraine, it was also their first sneak attack. Now well aware of what's going it's become a quagmire, combined with the fact that it's a much larger area accessible from all directions since it isn't essentially an Island. Crimea was easy to seal off for a number of reasons, including already having Russian soldiers stationed there, a large Naval Base, the fact it was already autonomous and split off from the rest of Ukraine, and the fact that it's geographically isolated from the rest of Ukraine. It was also their first strike, which it's possible to obtain quick gains after initially taking your enemy off guard, but after that you lose the momentum. 

No-one really expected Russia to get involved militarily, it was a shock to the world. Now since that is gone and Ukraine expects an attack every day, talks about the build up of Russian forces doing exercises on the border, and is constantly waiting for that moment Russia might cross the border, even if it never comes. You can't surprise someone twice. 

Edited by Manoka, 08 August 2014 - 10:21 PM.

Member Awards ()

#45 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 19 October 2022 - 04:26 AM

This aged pretty well I would say 

Member Awards ()