Photo

What if aliens are signaling us with stars?!

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 October 2015 - 05:57 PM

What if aliens are signaling us with stars?! 

So, I'm sure most of you have heard the song of "twinkle twinkle litter star", but if what if stars twinkling isn't always as common as we think. Trying to communicate with radar is difficult, as most of the cosmic background radiation is microwave and radar, which is literally where static comes from, and would certainly produce static in interstellar realms, across several light years of empty space; to get past all this, you would need something there isn't a lot of background of, and something EXTREMELY powerful. 

Perhaps our most powerful radiation producers, are suns. Easily seen for light years, it would be relatively easy to block the view to other people via properly positioned shields or even planets, which would allow them to signal other alien entities. It would take just as long to communicate, but would be more reliable and allow star systems to send large messages. Drawbacks of course would be that you could only send limited messages for an entire race of aliens so, it could only be used to communicate big things, and it would take several years for it to take effect. If designed to relay the same message constantly for millions of years however, suddenly it starts to make more sense. 

So, alien life may not be anything producing tons of indecipherable microwave radiation, I.E. white noise, but large scale things, such as "this star system is inhabited" may be done to signal other planets or stars that there's fellow alien life. 

It could also ward off attacks, given that inhabited areas with advanced enough species to move PLANETS in the ways of suns regularly probably are not ideal places to try to colonize, be it for moral reasons or just that they're more advanced. 

It's any interesting random thought I had. Anyways, yeah! :D

Looking for something like this would simply take an irregular pattern to nature occurring in a short amount of time. 

While we currently have very little ability to measure other stars, it's an interesting way to look for possibly intelligent life, and may even be the common method used in the universe. Something stars give off, such as certain types of radiation, other than visible light, might be used as well. So, looking at them in broad spectrums could maybe make more sense. 

Member Awards ()

#2 HordeLorde

HordeLorde

Precisely

• Former Member
  • 843 posts
  • Ruler Name:HordeLorde
  • Nation Name:Kamigawa
  • IRC Nick:HordeLorde
  • Nation Link

Posted 15 October 2015 - 09:00 PM

Thats like asking if mermaids are trying to communicate with us through the seashells that wash up on the beach.

#3 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 October 2015 - 02:23 AM

Thats like asking if mermaids are trying to communicate with us through the seashells that wash up on the beach.

Except that we already know mermaids are real. :?

Member Awards ()

#4 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:43 AM

OMG

Member Awards ()

#5 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord Draculea
  • Nation Name:Romania
  • IRC Nick:LordDraculea
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 October 2015 - 03:08 PM

When I read the title of this thread (and before opening it), I was sure it had to be about this...  :)

#6 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 16 October 2015 - 04:35 PM

When I read the title of this thread (and before opening it), I was sure it had to be about this...  :)

This is part of what prompted me, truly, but I was too lazy to source everything xD

Member Awards ()

#7 KiWi

KiWi

To Be Or Not To be, Just Pick One!

• Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 6060 posts
  • Ruler Name:King William
  • Nation Name:Royal Nine
  • IRC Nick:KingWilliam
  • Nation Link

Posted 17 October 2015 - 11:23 PM

Except that we already know mermaids are real. :?

I needed that laugh.

Member Awards ()

#8 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Ruler Name:wildbillhkhk
  • Nation Name:Bilee
  • IRC Nick:WB
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 10:36 PM

Starlight based communication is impractical on a stellar scale, and using something to periodically block the light would only send the message in a flat plane, assuming that thing doesnt completly surround the sun and change it's transparency.

#9 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 20 October 2015 - 11:01 PM

Starlight based communication is impractical on a stellar scale, and using something to periodically block the light would only send the message in a flat plane, assuming that thing doesnt completly surround the sun and change it's transparency.

It would be useful to let people know your place is inhabited, though. Also, you could have something far enoug haway at every anle to not blot out the sun, but still cover most angles until you got really close. Like a few hundred objects moving around. 

Member Awards ()

#10 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 03:40 PM

Why do you think It would be useful to let "people" know your place is inhabited?

Also, I like the word "people" that you're using.  :D

#11 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 04:23 PM

Why do you think It would be useful to let "people" know your place is inhabited?

Also, I like the word "people" that you're using.  :D

Well they're not "humans" they're "people" ;)

It would be useful for a number of reasons, just to say hi, to attract other alien life so you can meet intelligent life, or to ward off would be colonists to supposedly empty star systems or attackers who would try to take down a primitive world.

Member Awards ()

#12 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:37 PM

It would depend on the situation. It could almost be like a market using spotlights as a makeshift chevron.

#13 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:45 PM

It would be like, basically "hey, we're over here, come talk to us fellow aliens!"

Everyone would want to meet a new alien society, even if just for fun. Then you combine that with, trading, culture spread, etc. and it's great to have new allies. 

Member Awards ()

#14 Lord Draculea

Lord Draculea
  • Former Member
  • 1087 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 12:54 AM

If that should ever happen, we would realize that the differences between all human cultures are so insignificant by comparison with what we might find out about those other "people" that it would simply and radically change our perspective forever. To call that a Revolution would be an understatement.

#15 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:26 AM

There's a hole in that wonderful theory. We see the twinkling on the star a lot later than it actually happens. I mean if you'd put out the fire on the Sun Earth wouldn't notice it for 8 minutes. Now think about intergalactic distances and calculate how many years light would have to travel to get to us. 

There are parts of the universe from where light hasn't reach to our galaxy yet. It's still on its' way. 

Edited by Alyster, 22 October 2015 - 02:28 AM.

#16 wildbillhkhk

wildbillhkhk

The Constant Editor

• Former Member
  • 187 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 02:31 AM

There's a hole in that wonderful theory. We see the twinkling on the star a lot later than it actually happens. I mean if you'd put out the fire on the Sun Earth wouldn't notice it for 8 minutes. Now think about intergalactic distances and calculate how many years light would have to travel to get to us.

There are parts of the universe from where light hasn't reach to our galaxy yet. It's still on its' way.

If you want the message to repeat nonstop that might not be so bad.
I came into this topic assuming lightspeed is common knowledge.
And what fire on the Sun?

Edited by wildbillhkhk, 22 October 2015 - 02:39 AM.

#17 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:04 AM

The idea is that it would be on a loop for millions, if not billions of years.

Member Awards ()

#18 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:20 AM

If it's on a loop same star(s) should be twinkling on a loop and we should be able to detect a pattern. Also to broadcast same signal for billions of years the source would have to loop for same amount of time. Otherwise it would be like a letter that is going thru entire class room: you see it now, person B will see it 5 minutes later and 10 minutes later the teacher will take it away from person C. And in adition while person B is reading it persons A and C do not have access to it because they are sitting quite far from each other.  

Just because we detect something billions of years later, does not mean it's happening at source for billions of years. 

Edited by Alyster, 22 October 2015 - 05:22 AM.

#19 Manoka

Manoka
  • 6520 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:40 AM

If it's on a loop same star(s) should be twinkling on a loop and we should be able to detect a pattern. Also to broadcast same signal for billions of years the source would have to loop for same amount of time. Otherwise it would be like a letter that is going thru entire class room: you see it now, person B will see it 5 minutes later and 10 minutes later the teacher will take it away from person C. And in adition while person B is reading it persons A and C do not have access to it because they are sitting quite far from each other.  

Just because we detect something billions of years later, does not mean it's happening at source for billions of years. 

Yes, but it would be useful to detect other star systems in this manner. It may be a common means of communication, just a thought.

To produce the energy necessary to penetrate the vast distances in space would require something, well, similiar to a sun, and to have it be obvious or stand out would require it go on for a long period of time. So, I figure, why not a sun?

Makes sense, and we'd naturally be looking towards them for other signs of life, anyways. 

Member Awards ()

#20 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 22 October 2015 - 05:53 AM

I'm not quite sure which requires more energy, penetrating billions of lightyears with a radiowave or building a shade that will temporarily block out an entire star. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users