Photo

We'll Do It All Night Long Babe

potd

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
15 replies to this topic

Poll: We'll Do It All Night Long Babe (15 member(s) have cast votes)

How often do you pull all nighters [studying / unscheduled work] ?

1. At least once a month (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

2. Only at examination period / before important work deadline. (4 votes [26.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Very rarely (2 votes [13.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

4. Never (5 votes [33.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote

#1 Alyster

Alyster

Last Lord of the Admiralty

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Ruler Name:alyster
  • Nation Name:landeswehr
  • IRC Nick:alyster
  • Alliance Name:The Order of Paradox
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:09 PM

Coffee... I need it.

#2 PrinceVegeta

PrinceVegeta

Prince of all Saiyans

• Peer
  • 3156 posts
  • Ruler Name:Ramelon
  • Nation Name:Jotunheim
  • IRC Nick:PrinceVegeta
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 06:18 PM

Where's the every night option?

Member Awards ()

#3 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 07:55 PM

I have never had to pull an all-nighter to study.  It sounds kind of douchey to say it, but the truth is I've never really had to study that much.  Most stuff comes fairly easily to me, and I can BS my way through the rest.  I'm a very good test-taker, too, which helps a lot.  The only time I've ever had to study a lot was to memorize certain facts for nursing school, i.e. details of major medications, standard blood gas and electrolyte levels, etc.  But even that wasn't so much difficult as it was time-consuming.  And it was purely for the test — I don't remember most of that stuff now, except what I use every day.

I did work nights for many years, though.  From 1994-2002 I worked in various group homes and residential treatment facilities, and at times I was required to do night shifts.  In fact for the first two years I did exclusively nights, usually 11pm-9am four nights a week.  Which isn't a bad gig when you're 22.

Later, both in nursing school and after graduation, I did plenty of night shifts in hospitals.  Most hospital nurses work 12-hour shifts, in Boston hospitals typically 7am-7pm or the opposite.  Three of these a week (36 hours) is considered full-time, and THAT'S a nice gig!  :)  You actually have more days off than working.  The downside is that you have to do nights and weekends.  The standard practice in many hospitals is every other weekend and half days/half nights.  I have been fortunate to be employed in top Boston hospitals, where the standard is every 3rd weekend and ⅔ days, ⅓ nights (or all nights if you prefer, for which you get a bonus).  So for most of my hospital nursing career I would alternate four weeks of days and two weeks of nights.  Most of the time when I was doing a night rotation I stayed on a night schedule even on my days off, getting up in the afternoon.  That worked out great because I could hang out with my friends after they got out of work, then when they called it a night at 10-11pm I still had the rest of the night to myself.  It was sweet.

Member Awards ()

#4 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 08:59 PM

I've had a number of groups at uni just drop out on me, resulting in me having to do the work a group of 5-10 would do over a period of two days.

If I wasn't a code goddess, I'd have failed a long time ago :P

never study all night. It's too damaging to my awakeness. I only ever all-nighter when programs need programming, because I program very well half asleep.

#5 Arikus

Arikus

xR1's Sex Slave

• Internal Affairs: Recruiter
  • 422 posts
  • Ruler Name:Arikus
  • Nation Name:Arikaan
  • IRC Nick:Arikus
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 09:52 PM

I pull all-nighters to cram.

Member Awards ()

#6 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:09 PM

My code is never get less than 6 hours of sleep. Jorost I'm like you I just get stuff. Plus I have somewhat of a photographic memory and I am good at catching little details. I impressed my psych class on our memory unit and my teacher asked me to explain how I did it. The only thing I study for is physics because it is not memorization but problem solving so I practice to stay sharp.

Member Awards ()

#7 Justavictim82

Justavictim82

Better than you

• Peer
  • 2233 posts
  • Ruler Name:justavictim82
  • Nation Name:AllaboutthePentiums
  • IRC Nick:Justavictim82[Invicta]
  • Alliance Name:Horse love
  • Nation Link

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:51 PM

Used to work 3rd shift but that doesnt count. I have on occasion pulled more than 36 hours without any sleep. It has been a while (over a year)

Member Awards ()

#8 Jon32492

Jon32492
  • Former Member
  • 4610 posts
  • Ruler Name:Jon32492
  • Nation Name:Acorendra

Posted 14 April 2013 - 12:52 AM

Studying or other work? never. Playing games with friends? more often than I need to. But staying up way too late on cybernations..... WAY TOO OFTEN.

Ok, I did pull an all nighter at work one night. If was my first day doing that catering job over the summer. We had an order for 600 people the next day. So he hired me to work all night on this order and serve it the next day. I was so exhausted. He kept telling me I could take a nap if I wanted to but I was determined to make it all night (that and I knew if I laid down, there was no getting me back up for about 6-10 hours). I think I went to my cousin's house after work, which was about 5 minutes away, and crashed there. After that, I kept working there whenever he needed me. Was kinda a "I'll call you when I need you" job. Sometimes he'd call and ask if I can come in on a specific day, other times, I'd go 2 weeks without hearing from him. Once he called me at like 11am (around rush hour for his business) and wanted me to come in immediately. I told him, "you know I live an hour away right? you'll be done by the time I get there." He said "don't worry, there's plenty for you to do, just please come in."

Another time I pulled an allnighter wasn't just for work. We worked until probably 2am and then met up at a coworker's house to hang out. I ended up staying there until about 6 and then went to my girlfriend's house and crashed.

Member Awards ()

#9 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

Currently my sleeping schedule is so fucked up I stay up at nights and write my thesis and go to sleep in the morning. 

However I've pulled all nighters before. Especially in cases that require me to go over a lot of material like Philosophy of History was one of the worse. Another really horrible one was Estonian Historiography. We call them "1000&1 Nights" where I come from. 1000 pages and 1 night.

#10 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:00 PM

What's your thesis on, Fagister?

Member Awards ()

#11 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 01:15 PM

What's your thesis on, Fagister?

Coastal Defense of Estonia 1920-1940. 

#12 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:33 PM

Wow, that is VERY specific.  Doctoral or Master's?

So this would be the Soviet period then?  When did the USSR incorporate Estonia?

Also, I'm not sure if I've ever discussed this with you, but one of the First Generation of Invictans, a prominent former member (Senator, VP, etc.) named Synagence, has an Estonian wife.  They live in the UK but go to Estonia regularly to visit family.

Synagence designed our flag and the horse logo, btw.

Member Awards ()

#13 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 02:53 PM

MA thesis. And no this is Estonian Republic's era (1918-1940). But I chose 1920 as a starting point because on the 2/2/1920 the war of Independence ended.

The Russian Empire had designed a gigantic project in 1900-1917 on the eastern coast of Baltic sea commonly known as the Naval Fortress of Peter the Great. It covered the sea from Latvia (Courland) to SW Finland with naval guns varring from 76mm to 305mm. On the entrance of Gulf of Finland, on a narrow point of Naissaar to Porkkala they covered it with a crossfire of 305mm and 356mm guns from both shores. And the last line was the next naval fortress at Kronstadt of course. All of this was the Empire's aim to defend the naval access to the capital. The British had made the need for such defenses painfully obvious to the Russians in the 18th and 19th century. 

The coastal defenses in Western-Estonia and Courland were shattered by the Kaiserliche Marine in 1917 during operation Albion. They deployed the Hochseeflotte here with all of its' glory and dreadnoughts, which even managed to sink of the Russian pre-dreadnought era battleship Slava off the coast of Muhu. The fortresses at Tallinn (Naissaar, Aegna, Paldiski) were heavily damaged by the retreating russian troops. Estonia later built up the Tallinn's area again. And to top it they recommended the finns to do the same at Porkkala in 1930. With modified 305mm (12 inch) guns shooting up to 43km from both sides* covered with minefields and a submarine net, Estonia and Finland planned to close off the same line as the Empire wanted, with the exception, we weren't interested in stopping foreign fleets from entering the Gulf of Finland, but rather from exiting. 

Stalin and Molotov were rather furious about that. Sadly Estonia folded its' cards in 1939 peacefully, raised its' butt high and bit the pillow while getting raped.

* Naissaar-Porkkala line is shorter than 43km :P

#14 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:01 PM

I forgot Estonia was independent from '20-40.  When the Germans invaded were they seen as liberators?

Member Awards ()

#15 Alyster

Alyster

• Former Member
  • 1584 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:08 PM

I forgot Estonia was independent from '20-40.  When the Germans invaded were they seen as liberators?

Yes. When the German-Russian war begun in 1941, the soviets were overthrown in several parts of Estonia even before the Germans got here. When they finally got here they were greeted with flowers.

And when the Germans left many cried. It's an interesting thing. Germans were the national enemy to Estonians since 13th century untill 1940. In 1940-41 during the period of first Soviet occupation, the russians worked hard to win over that title and they succeeded. I think they still hold that title. 

Edit: But if you mean German invasion of 1917-1918, then no. Maybe only in the eyes of Baltic-German minority, but for the rest of the people, they were occupiers. 

#16 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 14 April 2013 - 06:49 PM

I pull all nighters multiple times a week, cause I'm just cool like that.

Member Awards ()

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: potd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users