Photo

Tip Jars

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

Poll: Tip Jars (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you put in tip jars?

1. Yes (6 votes [60.00%])

Percentage of vote: 60.00%

2. No (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:17 PM

OK, I'm not talking about tipping waiters and waitresses here. I'm talking about the tip jars at like McDonald's, Dunkin Donuts, crap like that.

I say absolutely not and never have because those people are already making a lot more then the others who don't get paid minimum and have to rely on the tips.

Member Awards ()

#2 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:32 PM

Ehh... Those people are still only making minimum wage, and it's a pretty shitty job. And what about at a pizza or sub shop or something? The high school kids behind the counter and in the kitchen probably split the tip jar at the end of the night. I usually toss whatever loose change I got back in there, and maybe another buck or two depending on if I thought the service was extra good or I was just feeling benevolent.

Member Awards ()

#3 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:40 PM

It's just a thought that makes a difference

Member Awards ()

#4 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:52 PM

Except they're taking your order at a counter. That's what they're hired to do. Waiters/Waitresses make like $2.75/hr before tips, that's pretty damn far off from minimum wage and doing a hell of a lot more work.

edit: Lord James, I declared on you in TE and proceeded to self-anarchy myself. :awesome:

edit2: oh wow, I broke 4k posts at some point

Member Awards ()

#5 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:57 PM

I think it's more like $6 an hour, but maybe that's just Massachusetts. Anyway, anyone who works at a McDonald's does a lot more than just the counter. There are all kinds of nasty jobs to do in back, plus you probably have to answer to some pimply-faced assistant manager who never had a girlfriend and takes it out on his employees. God that would be a suck job. I'd much rather be a waiter in a regular restaurant.

But I think I see what's going on here. If the McDonald's down there are like the McDonald's up here, most of the employees are minorities. Black or Spanish, Thrash? Which one pisses you off more? :P

Member Awards ()

#6 Chancellor Gunn

Chancellor Gunn

First Lord of the Treasury, High Constable, and Prime Minister

• Chancellor
  • 16005 posts
  • BJ Points:168
  • Ruler Name:President Gunn
  • Nation Name:Acturea
  • IRC Nick:Nascar8FanGA
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:04 PM

I think it's more like $6 an hour, but maybe that's just Massachusetts. Anyway, anyone who works at a McDonald's does a lot more than just the counter. There are all kinds of nasty jobs to do in back, plus you probably have to answer to some pimply-faced assistant manager who never had a girlfriend and takes it out on his employees. God that would be a suck job. I'd much rather be a waiter in a regular restaurant.

But I think I see what's going on here. If the McDonald's down there are like the McDonald's up here, most of the employees are minorities. Black or Spanish, Thrash? Which one pisses you off more? :P

Minimum wage for tipped employees is like 3 bucks or less down here, and in alot of places. Also I came really, really close to getting a Shift Manager job a McDonalds and being that manager :awesome:

Member Awards ()

#7 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:06 PM

Haha. OMG I could picture you doing that and getting all dad-angry at your incompetent employees, none of whom speak English. I smell a bit.

Member Awards ()

#8 Jon32492

Jon32492
  • Former Member
  • 4610 posts
  • Ruler Name:Jon32492
  • Nation Name:Acorendra

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:14 PM

The job I'm looking at getting right now, delivery driver at Pizza Hut, he said it would be $4.25 an hour, minimum wage is $7.25. So how much do you tip you pizza delivery drivers?

Member Awards ()

#9 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:43 PM

Yeah, see. Jor, your nuts for thinking people in those positions make anything near minimum wage. And before you wanna go bust out race card on fast food places, the places I go there's 1-2 people at EACH station, like it's supposed to be. They all do their job efficiently, no matter what race, you're getting paid to do that. It's not 1 person taking the order, cooking the food, bagging the food, handing you the food. Where are these Utopia McDonald's that only 15 people visit every day so they can have one person handle the entire job?

Member Awards ()

#10 Killman4

Killman4

Formerly known as Junior Senior Gov

• Peer
  • 1433 posts
  • Ruler Name:killman4
  • Nation Name:Suomessa on vahva
  • IRC Nick:killlman4
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:52 PM

Minimum wage here is $9.04....Soon to be $9.18

Member Awards ()

#11 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

In Washington afaik, everyone makes minimum wage ($9.19 in Jan) and then tips are a perk to go with that. My usual policy is that if their effort makes a difference in either the food or the service, I'll tip. So waiters, baristas, and sometimes smaller food places.

Member Awards ()

#12 Dan2680

Dan2680
  • P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Nation Link

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:00 PM

In canada things are a bit better involving minimum wage... adult min wage is 10.25 and student is 9.60 and people who serve liquor (aka, the people who rely on tips sort of) make 8.90 minimum.

Member Awards ()

#13 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Phate, waiters are usually excluded from minimum wage laws. That's why tips are so important for them. What Thrash is saying is that counter employees at places like McDonald's shouldn't get tips because they already make minimum wage. My argument is that such jobs are still shitty and still tip-worthy.

I've heard that waitstaff jobs at high end restaurants (the types of places where dinner is upwards of $100 a plate) are highly coveted, and can easily bring in $100k a year or more. That's why if you go to a really fancy restaurant the waiters will often seem older -- once they get those jobs they don't give them up!

Member Awards ()

#14 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:02 AM

iirc, minimum wage here is about 15 AUD an hour.

Anyway, the question is ambiguous. I do tip if the person has done something that goes above and beyond their job description. Like the barista I go to. Or the particularly nice people at the sandwich/sushi place I go to on wednesdays~

#15 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

How does tipping work down there, Red? Is it customary? In Europe they don't tip (so European waiters must love American tourists, who probably leave tips out of habit). Here it's expected. The only time you withhold a tip is if the service was egregiously bad. I can't remember if I've ever withheld a tip.

Member Awards ()

#16 The Dark Empire

The Dark Empire

Lord James

• Peer
  • 3082 posts
  • Ruler Name:Lord James
  • Nation Name:The Dark Empire
  • IRC Nick:TheDarkEmpire
  • Alliance Name:Regnum Invictorum
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:42 AM

Except they're taking your order at a counter. That's what they're hired to do. Waiters/Waitresses make like $2.75/hr before tips, that's pretty damn far off from minimum wage and doing a hell of a lot more work.

edit: Lord James, I declared on you in TE and proceeded to self-anarchy myself. :awesome:

edit2: oh wow, I broke 4k posts at some point

I was wondering why the nation was in anarchy

Member Awards ()

#17 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:48 PM

Phate, waiters are usually excluded from minimum wage laws. That's why tips are so important for them. What Thrash is saying is that counter employees at places like McDonald's shouldn't get tips because they already make minimum wage. My argument is that such jobs are still shitty and still tip-worthy.

I've heard that waitstaff jobs at high end restaurants (the types of places where dinner is upwards of $100 a plate) are highly coveted, and can easily bring in $100k a year or more. That's why if you go to a really fancy restaurant the waiters will often seem older -- once they get those jobs they don't give them up!

From what I was reading, they aren't in WA.

Member Awards ()

#18 Dan2680

Dan2680
  • P. Emeritus
  • 1202 posts
  • Ruler Name:Dan2680
  • Nation Name:Red Army
  • IRC Nick:Dan2680
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 04:54 PM

Yeah at places who make minimum wage I won't tip... unless they are crazy awesome... but people who server liquor/etc I do or at a restaurant I will a tip (depending on the venue, a bar/grill I usually only leave the tax (3-4 dollars) but at a fancy spot I went to once (the waitress was really nice and helpful and explained a lot of stuff we didn't know) I tipped about 15 dollars (you dressed up for this place).

Once I left the "fuck you" tip to a lady who left us for 30-40 minutes after our meal was complete to give us our bill... I ended up going into the kitchen as asking if someone could give us the bill or we were walking out. I left her 26 cents, lol.

Member Awards ()

#19 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:42 PM

I've never left a fuck you tip. I've never had so bad an experience at a restaurant that it was warranted. At least not that I can remember at the moment. And I've been to a lot of restaurants.

Member Awards ()

#20 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

How does tipping work down there, Red? Is it customary? In Europe they don't tip (so European waiters must love American tourists, who probably leave tips out of habit). Here it's expected. The only time you withhold a tip is if the service was egregiously bad. I can't remember if I've ever withheld a tip.

Tipping down here works in the classic sense, you tip someone because you believe they deserve it.

Lol, would be so funny if I was in America, I'd be so rude and nobody would know why~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users