Photo

Marine Dad Objected to Daughter’s Islam Based Homework…So Administrators Banned Him From School

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#1 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Ruler Name:Thrash
  • Nation Name:Machas
  • IRC Nick:Thrash[Invicta]
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:30 PM

sorry, Daniel

http://www.ijreview....-banned-school/

this is how fucking sad this country has become and how public schools are total fucking BS

and this quote from the father says it all:

“If [students] can’t practice Christianity in school, they should not be allowed to practice Islam in school.”

a-fucking-men

Member Awards ()

#2 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:34 PM

That's a fair point. If they can't touch on the fundamentals of christianity, they can't touch on the fundamentals of any religion. These people were a bad.

#3 Phate

Phate
  • Admin: Assistant Webmaster
  • 3108 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as male
  • BJ Points:Over 9000
  • Ruler Name:phate408
  • Nation Name:Belgrade
  • IRC Nick:Phate
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Well, this is a case of a guy being intolerant, overreactive, and violent. From the article, they were not pushing Islam or teaching it as truth, they were teaching about Islam, as I'm sure they taught about Christianity, Judaism, and the other major religions. As they should. Teaching about something is not equivalent to pushing it upon people unless the material is advocating that thing. In this instance, the assignment is merely about the history and beliefs of Islam and is perfectly innocent. The assignment, which is in the article, was not the problem. The islamophobic angry man was the problem. He seems to have failed to recognize history and education and take it as an affront to his "Christian" beliefs, and taken that as an ok reason to threaten the school. His reaction to the situation indicated that not only does he not understand the situation, but also is not able of reacting to anything that may counter his believes (not that the assignment did) appropriately and is a great example of what's wrong with many of the members of the right.

Member Awards ()

#4 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

monkey-shooting-a-gun-smiley-emoticon.gi

Member Awards ()

#5 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Ya see, you shouldn't be teaching ANY religion in a public school and that's the point. Christianity was never taught in public school and still isn't, but yet it's somehow okay to start teaching kids about Islam? Really?

But yet, you found someway to go off about this guy, and characterize him, just because of his religion. So, you can stfu now.

Member Awards ()

#6 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

Well, this is a case of a guy being intolerant, overreactive, and violent. From the article, they were not pushing Islam or teaching it as truth, they were teaching about Islam, as I'm sure they taught about Christianity, Judaism, and the other major religions. As they should. Teaching about something is not equivalent to pushing it upon people unless the material is advocating that thing. In this instance, the assignment is merely about the history and beliefs of Islam and is perfectly innocent. The assignment, which is in the article, was not the problem. The islamophobic angry man was the problem. He seems to have failed to recognize history and education and take it as an affront to his "Christian" beliefs, and taken that as an ok reason to threaten the school. His reaction to the situation indicated that not only does he not understand the situation, but also is not able of reacting to anything that may counter his believes (not that the assignment did) appropriately and is a great example of what's wrong with many of the members of the right.

Oh man. The guy objects to this so he must be an Islamophobe? Please. What evidence do you have to support your certainty that they're teaching about Christianity and Judaism as well even? Why would the school need to cover this? How does knowing the five pillars of Islam relate to history? It doesn't. It's peddling a religious ideology. If people want to learn about a religion they should go to a church, mosque, synagogue, or whatever. The article didn't present any evidence that he threatened the school. Could you possibly be more blatantly biased?

Also, members of the right? Are you serious? Please show me where members of the right clamor for separation of church and state and then turn around and put religious doctrine into the curriculum.

#7 Chax

Chax

Minister of Aesthetics

• Invicta: Knight
  • 622 posts
  • Ruler Name:Alexander Dubcek
  • Nation Name:The Greater Levant
  • IRC Nick:Chax
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:55 PM

I had to do the same work in school, but we also went over all the other religions, and if somebody was really opposed to the subject matter, they didn't have to take it. That's how it should have ended. Schools have a stupid habit of sticking to their guns and refusing to back down when they've fucked up. 

#8 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Ruler Name:TheDogMan
  • Nation Name:Nugget Nation
  • IRC Nick:Thedogman
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

POPULAR

I disagree with the father. If this is the same class I took a couple years ago, World History, then he's just an idiot. Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Confucianism, Judaism are all taught as part of any World history curriculum. Especially if it's an honors or Advanced Placement class. Religion is an integral part of world history. What? You expect the school to touch on the crusades without mentioning Christianity or Islam at all? Well that's just downright silly, and so is trying to abolish learning about religion because of its effect on history and the world.

Now, if the teacher said "go home, pray to Allah, and read the Quran", then we can get pissed about it.

I see no fault in this school's decision.

Member Awards ()

#9 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

I disagree with the father. If this is the same class I took a couple years ago, World History, then he's just an idiot. Christianity, Sikhism, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism, Confucianism, Judaism are all taught as part of any World history curriculum. Especially if it's an honors or Advanced Placement class. Religion is an integral part of world history. What? You expect the school to touch on the crusades without mentioning Christianity or Islam at all? Well that's just downright silly, and so is trying to abolish learning about religion because of its effect on history and the world.

Now, if the teacher said "go home, pray to Allah, and read the Quran", then we can get pissed about it.

I see no fault in this school's decision.

Tell me why students would need to know what the Ka'aba is and what it is used for to gain a basic understanding of the crusades? How about How Muhammed's life was changed? What Muhammed did when he returned to Mecca? If you can satisfactorily explain to me why it would be necessary to know those things in order to learn about the crusades, then I will concede that you may have some ground to stand on in this conversation.

#10 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

Anybody here: go purchase yourself or check out any AP prep book on World History. The five pillars of Islam are definitely taught, and so are other religious ideas. Shokkou, Thrash, I mean this as respectfully as possible, but you all haven't been in high school for who knows how long (I'm assuming). Otherwise you would know that this IS part of the curriculum. Been there, done that. I can confirm it, It's only been a couple of years since I did the same thing.

Member Awards ()

#11 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

That's really not relevant. Answer my questions.

#12 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:43 PM

I'm not going to argue as to whether or not religious ideology is needed to be taught to understand the crusades, that's not the topic of this thread. The topic is that a dad got pissed because his child is getting taught about religion, something that is a huge part of the curriculum, and totally overreacted. If you have this much of a problem with religious ideology being taught about in school, then go take it up with the Supreme Court and have the AP program abolished.

Edited by TheDogMan, 30 October 2014 - 09:44 PM.

Member Awards ()

#13 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

What evidence do you have to support your certainty that they're teaching about Christianity and Judaism as well even?

Why would the school need to cover this? How does knowing the five pillars of Islam relate to history?

It doesn't. It's peddling a religious ideology. If people want to learn about a religion they should go to a church, mosque, synagogue, or whatever. The article didn't present any evidence that he threatened the school. Could you possibly be more blatantly biased?

1) Pick up any World History workbook and page over to religion.

2) Not the topic of this thread by any means. Make another thread to argue your view as to why religion shouldn't be taught as a part of history at all.

Member Awards ()

#14 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:51 PM

That's exactly the topic of the thread, in case you forgot to actually read the conversation (which I doubt, considering you had comments for the original poster and myself). He didn't make any threats. He didn't get violent. He may have used heated words, but I'd hardly call what he did an overreaction. What obligation did this man have to mince words? None. What justifiable reason does this school have to make this part of the curriculum? None.

#15 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:56 PM

What justifiable reason does this school have to make this part of the curriculum? None.

All schools have this as part of their curriculum. Not only do all schools have this, but all colleges and universities that offer world history also teach this. This school needs no justification whatsoever, this is a nationwide and/or statewide curriculum. It's not like this school specifically chose to teach the five pillars of Islam etc., they'd most likely get into deep shit for not teaching this.

Edited by TheDogMan, 30 October 2014 - 09:59 PM.

Member Awards ()

#16 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:01 PM

All schools have this as part of their curriculum. Not only do all schools have this, but all colleges and universities that offer world history also teach this. This school needs no justification whatsoever, this is a nationwide and/or statewide curriculum. It's not like this school specifically chose to teach the five pillars of Islam, they'd most likely get into deep shit for not teaching this.

That is not a justification. That is you stating what the curriculum is. I'm not asking what the curriculum is because I am perfectly capable of reading. What I am asking is what purpose there is for having this in the curriculum. Do you have an answer for that or do you not?

#17 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

If they are teaching religion in public schools nowadays there is absolutely no reason for it. ANY religion.

The whole point of going to a public school was to not have to deal with the religion stuff. If that's changed, then we're worse off then I thought.

That's why when you went to parochial school you had a class called "Religion", there's nothing of the sort in public school. Under what topic are they teaching this? History?

Member Awards ()

#18 TheDogMan

TheDogMan

Human-Dog Hybrid

• Banned
  • 218 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:09 PM

That is not a justification. That is you stating what the curriculum is. I'm not asking what the curriculum is because I am perfectly capable of reading. What I am asking is what purpose there is for having this in the curriculum. Do you have an answer for that or do you not?

That is a worthy topic for debate, my friend. An ugly topic, and a good one. A historical topic, and an un-winnable topic. However, I won't argue that; I don't like to. That will only lead to cutthroat debating and useless pontification on a topic that will never be resolved.

I won't argue that, but I'll stand my ground that the father was wrong for his actions and the school justified. The curriculum is the curriculum, it's not pedaled or biased or forced in any way. It's taught for the sake of knowledge, not the sake of converting children to Islam. Trust me, this man's child received ample homework in relation to all the other major religions of the world. I've experienced it.

I rest my case and won't argue this topic that is outside of the scope of the OP. Now, allow me to go off and do my studying before I fail biology. 

Edited by TheDogMan, 30 October 2014 - 10:10 PM.

Member Awards ()

#19 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:16 PM

What did the man do that was so awful? Have you read another article on this incident, because I don't see how he did anything worse than refuse to sugar coat his presentation of something that he clearly has a very strong opinion on. I don't see anything worse than that in this article.

#20 Thrash

Thrash

not as gay

• Former Member
  • 9559 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 30 October 2014 - 10:18 PM

The curriculum is the curriculum

So anything the school says goes?