• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#21 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 04:33 PM

eymLd99.gif

I can see this is a hot-button topic, but I can't not point out how some of this seems a bit self-contradicting on two levels. The first being "I hope we're all beyond using offense to shut down people we disagree with... except this time" (because however much of a twat that guy was being, that's exactly what happened). The second being "I don't equate disagreement with persecution... except in this case." I'm not saying you were wrong to in this case. I don't even think Jorost's comment was directed at you, but let's be real here. I don't think that this one guy is enacting societal fact, and if he is what good would shutting down his ability to speak in this one place do compared to shooting him down with some facts? Did no one have any good studies they could have linked in there to make him look like a fool? We'll never know now.

Some fair points here. I initially littered this post with quote boxes and replies, but in the interests of keeping my thoughts coherent, I've streamlined my response somewhat.

Firstly, let me clarify that, for what it's worth, I'm not trying to claim that this particular discussion constituted some sort of persecution, nor that one person's opinion, by itself, is responsible for wider societal problems. Someone being an asshole on the internet isn't persecution, no matter how many reactionaries might try to lead you to that conclusion. The point I was trying, and perhaps failed, to make was that when hatred is given a platform, it's prone to lead to substantial societal problems.

I was trying to keep my post as broad as possible, but all the things I listed? Those are things that are happening every single day, in the US and around the world, because hatred has become the societal norm. Bakeries refusing to serve gay couples. Muslim women being assaulted because of their faith, and women with short hair being harassed in restrooms. Trans people being proscribed by law from safely using those restroomsWomen being told to see dentists for their reproductive healthcare.

These larger societal problems which could very rightly be called persecution certainly aren't the fault of one person on a forum, but they don't exist in a vacuum, either. No sane person wakes up one morning and decides to attack people because of their race, or their religion, or their gender, or to propose a law that concretely harms their ability to live normal lives because of such reasons. But these things happen anyway, because this hatred has been engendered by a society which permits bigotry to enter the cultural dialogue as if it were normal. It's not normal, and going back to Redezra's original post, these wrong, uninformed opinions are hurting people. Real people that really exist. This is precisely why most modern, developed countries have hate speech laws that specifically say, 'No, it is not okay to incite hatred against people just because they're different from you.'

Because yes, people could have engaged with these views in that thread, to try to put forth an argument against these views. And indeed, some did before I closed the thread, and at the time the original post was made, I had no intention of actually closing it in order to, as you put it, 'shut down his ability to speak.' As I said in my first reply to this thread, that's not why I ended up closing it, either. But what exactly does engaging or arguing against bigotry do? Yeah, maybe it makes the proponent look like a fool. Hell, maybe in a perfect universe it even persuades him to change his mind. But it still normalizes the views he was expressing; it still deems them worthy of debate. And that is the societal condition that exists that leads people to believe it's acceptable to hold those views in the first place.

Does stopping hate speech from one individual or in one thread or on one forum remedy all society's woes? Of course not. But I hope, at least, that it sends the message that in this one little corner of the internet that we call home, that's not going to be considered normal. I feel that makes Invicta a little bit better.

Hatred has always been the societal norm. The only difference is who it's directed at at any given time. I'm not saying that makes it something to be brushed off, but let's not pretend it is a problem unique to our time. The problem with silencing bigots is it doesn't make their bigotry go away. It just makes it fester in the background where you can't see it, and if you can't see it then doing something about it is difficult. If you instead make the person look like a fool with facts, sure. Perhaps you do establish that it is more acceptable to voice those views, but that's actually a good thing. Discussion of those views should absolutely be normalized because it is when they are discussed and in the open that they can be quashed. If you shut it down, yeah you've sent the message that "discussion of this is not allowed" but touching back on the informed vs uninformed opinions all you're doing is making the uninformed observers wonder why. It makes your position look weak. "When you tear out a man's tongue" and all that.

In reference to Ana's post, above: no, I was not talking about her comment. I wasn't really talking about anyone's comments specifically, just the general that being disagreed with = persecution. This is a very common feeling among conservatives, in particular, especially of the religious variety. Like when they equate the phrase "Happy Holidays" with a "War On Christmas." 

But to put it in the context of Ana's comments, the things that she was talking about are not persecution simply because they disagree with Ana's opinion; they are persecution for a variety of other, real-world reasons that have to do with equality, power, gender, and a lot more. No one's opinion is sacred just because it is their opinion. While everyone does indeed have a right to their opinion, so does everyone else — and that includes the right to disagree with other people's opinions. That disagreement in and of itself is not persecution. If you say chocolate is the best flavor and I disagree, am I persecuting you? No. But if you say chocolate is the best flavor and I disagree and kick you out of my ice cream shop, that's persecution.

Or, to put it in simpler terms, all persecution is disagreement, but not all disagreement is persecution.

It's a common feeling across political and religious boundaries, Jorost. You hear about religious conservatives a lot and you disagree with them. That's why it seems to you that they make up the majority.

#22 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

The Invictan Formerly Known as Jorost

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Gender:Household pet that walked across the keyboard - male
  • Ruler Name:Jorost
  • Nation Name:Invicta Crownlands
  • IRC Nick:Jorost
  • Alliance Name:Invicta
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

I never said they were the majority. I was just using them as examples. There are plenty of others.

Member Awards ()

#23 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

Triple Agent for the Queen

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Ruler Name:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Name:Dal Riata
  • IRC Nick:CeltSoldierKev
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

Ooh! Ooh! I know what he means!

On the main topic of this thread, too many people in general equate disagreement with persecution. 

Here's the thing, Jor, I get the point you're trying to make, but no. Just no. You're wrong, and now, in the spirit of this thread, I will counter your uninformed opinion with the reasons why it's wrong.

Here are some statements I disagree with:

• White people constitute the superior race
  • Women exist solely for men's sexual pleasure
  • Gay people are an abomination of nature
  • There exist only two genders, determined by the genitals a person is born with

I find these statements very offensive, not because I disagree with them—my disagreement with them is tangential—but because they're bigoted horseshit, and if and when people express such opinions, I'm damnedwell going to call them out on that bigotry.

As to your bullet points,

1) Couldn't agree with you more.

2) Yeah, thankfully that perspective is becoming less and less in the Western World.

3) Agree with you

4) Huh?  How is believing that "only 2 genders exist, determined by the genitalia a person is born with" bigoted horseshit?

Sorry, but that's where you fail.  That statement is not bigoted, it is not fueled by hate, it is simply an opinion, and the traditional opinion at that.  So...if you truly feel that this statement is wrong, then the burden of arguing your position lies with you.  Except, you refuse to see the value of debating this topic. 

So where exactly does that leave us?

Member Awards ()

#24 Manoka

Manoka
  • Internal Affairs: Writer
  • 6520 posts
  • Ruler Name:deadmanszpiper
  • Nation Name:Manoka
  • IRC Nick:Rawrmansz
  • Nation Link

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:01 PM

Use logic and knowledge. 

Unless you're arguing with me. 

Then I'm always right. Other than that though ,try and use things like logic and facts. 

Kthnxbai.

Member Awards ()

#25 Shokkou

Shokkou
  • Banned
  • 1922 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 04:59 AM

I never said they were the majority. I was just using them as examples. There are plenty of others.

Calling something "a very common feeling" doesn't imply a majority? Interesting. 10/10 doublespeak.

As to your bullet points,

2) Yeah, thankfully that perspective is becoming less and less in the Western World.
3) Agree with you
4) Huh?  How is believing that "only 2 genders exist, determined by the genitalia a person is born with" bigoted horseshit?

Sorry, but that's where you fail.  That statement is not bigoted, it is not fueled by hate, it is simply an opinion, and the traditional opinion at that.  So...if you truly feel that this statement is wrong, then the burden of arguing your position lies with you.  Except, you refuse to see the value of debating this topic. 

Gonna have to agree with CSK here. One of these things is not like the other.

1. Calling whites the superior race implies other people are inferior, and it implies this is the case purely on the basis of where their ancestors came from.

2. This implies that women are not people, but objects.

3. I'm not even really sure what to say to this one other than have you looked at nature recently? Angler fish are a real thing and ducks rape each other. People wanting to rub their things against the same thing as what they have is comparatively tame to what nature gets up to sometimes.

4. This opinion, by itself, does not imply anyone is inferior or not a person. It just suggests that they are wrong... and if suggesting that someone is wrong is bigotry then we're in trouble. What the person does with this belief is what makes them bigoted or not.

Edited by Shokkou, 09 June 2016 - 05:52 AM.

#26 Redezra

Redezra

~>:BAMF:<~

• Invicta: Knight
  • 7728 posts
  • Gender:Sentient artificial intelligence - identifies as female
  • Ruler Name:Redezra
  • Nation Name:Jorostopia
  • IRC Nick:Redezra
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 06:56 AM

Well, given that she literally said that our opinion's are not as good as her opinion's in the OP, I'd say it's evidence to the opposite but, one can hope. xP

Did not, just said that some people could be wrong, could be me, could be you, who knows.

Calling something "a very common feeling" doesn't imply a majority? Interesting. 10/10 doublespeak.

>As to your bullet points,

3) Agree with you

Gonna have to agree with CSK here. One of these things is not like the other.

1. Calling whites the superior race implies other people are inferior, and it implies this is the case purely on the basis of where their ancestors came from.

2. This implies that women are not people, but objects.

3. I'm not even really sure what to say to this one other than have you looked at nature recently? Angler fish are a real thing and ducks rape each other. People wanting to rub their things against the same thing as what they have is comparatively tame to what nature gets up to sometimes.

4. This opinion, by itself, does not imply anyone is inferior or not a person. It just suggests that they are wrong... and if suggesting that someone is wrong is bigotry then we're in trouble. What the person does with this belief is what makes them bigoted or not.

I think what Ana meant was "transgendered people are sick in the head/monsters". It's hard to differentiate the two, very often the two are held concurrently, and one is oft used to bolster the other.

#27 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:57 AM

No, it doesn't. "Very common" does not (necessarily) mean a majority. If 30% of a group believed a certain thing it would be fair to call it a very common belief among that group. Also I like how you edited my statement to leave out the "among conservatives" qualifier. 10/10 revisionism. Fox News would be proud.

Member Awards ()

#28 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:04 AM

Well, I don't think anyone here equates mental illness with being a monster.  So that bit of hyperbole is simply unwarranted.

Member Awards ()

#29 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:23 AM

Well, I don't think anyone here equates mental illness with being a monster.  So that bit of hyperbole is simply unwarranted.

I don't even mean that everyone believes both. the / is an "and or".

Furthermore, I don't mean "everyone here", I'm currently generalizing to "all people"

#30 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:33 AM

Not in so many words, and maybe not deliberately. But if you say that there are only two genders, and that people are always and irrevocably their birth gender, then what does that make someone who identifies as something else? By implication it means that there there must be something wrong with them.

Member Awards ()

#31 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 09:47 AM

Not in so many words, and maybe not deliberately. But if you say that there are only two genders, and that people are always and irrevocably their birth gender, then what does that make someone who identifies as something else? By implication it means that there there must be something wrong with them.

I freely admit that I believe it to be a mental health issue.  That does not mean I want to see harm done to anyone.  Nothing could be further from the truth.  I want all individuals with mental illnesses to seek and receive help and treatment.

I, more than most people, understand the pain, dirty looks, and marginalization that can occur from mental illnesses. This is why I want everyone to get the help they need.

Member Awards ()

#32 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

I am very much in sympathy with your position, Celt. I had a long journey of coming to understanding as far as transgender issues are concerned. As a scientist, I long believed that you are what you are, and that to believe otherwise was delusional. I often used the example of a raccoon — if you truly, deeply believed with all your heart and soul that you were meant to be a raccoon, I would argue, medical science would not turn you into one. But as I have gained more experience and knowledge, and as the science has evolved, I have come to realize that this was a rather shortsighted view. Human (and, indeed, animal) sexuality is far more nuanced than simply XX and XY.

Which is not to say that there is not a high correlation between being transgendered and suffering from mental illness. But that stands to reason — can you imagine living in a world that treated you as badly as the world treats transgendered people? It's bound to cause some issues. I like that we are becoming a more tolerant and accepting society. I think it's a good thing.

Member Awards ()

#33 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:44 AM

I am very much in sympathy with your position, Celt. I had a long journey of coming to understanding as far as transgender issues are concerned. As a scientist, I long believed that you are what you are, and that to believe otherwise was delusional. I often used the example of a raccoon — if you truly, deeply believed with all your heart and soul that you were meant to be a raccoon, I would argue, medical science would not turn you into one. But as I have gained more experience and knowledge, and as the science has evolved, I have come to realize that this was a rather shortsighted view. Human (and, indeed, animal) sexuality is far more nuanced than simply XX and XY.

Which is not to say that there is not a high correlation between being transgendered and suffering from mental illness. But that stands to reason — can you imagine living in a world that treated you as badly as the world treats transgendered people? It's bound to cause some issues. I like that we are becoming a more tolerant and accepting society. I think it's a good thing.

There is a fine line, however, between being tolerant and accepting and being enablers.

Member Awards ()

#34 ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

ᗅᗺᗷᗅ

• Lord Protector
  • 16192 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

The way to judge the difference is to ask whether people who are transgendered can live happy, normal, productive lives. So far the evidence strongly indicates that yes, they can and do. Mentally ill people who are merely being enabled will continue to suffer from mental illness and impairment.

Member Awards ()

#35 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 12:49 PM

The way to judge the difference is to ask whether people who are transgendered can live happy, normal, productive lives. So far the evidence strongly indicates that yes, they can and do. Mentally ill people who are merely being enabled will continue to suffer from mental illness and impairment.

You are talking about 2 separate things.  Are you talking about being happy and productive?  Or continuing to suffer from mental illness.  Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.  I will leave "normal" out of the discussion, as it is completely subjective.

Mentally ill people who are enabled will continue to suffer from their mental illness and impairment, yes.  But that does not mean that they cannot be happy.  I would state that while transgendered can be happy and productive, they will also continue to suffer through their mental illness.

Member Awards ()

#36 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:08 PM

Discussion of those views should absolutely be normalized because it is when they are discussed and in the open that they can be quashed. If you shut it down, yeah you've sent the message that "discussion of this is not allowed" but touching back on the informed vs uninformed opinions all you're doing is making the uninformed observers wonder why. It makes your position look weak. "When you tear out a man's tongue" and all that. 

See, this is where we disagree, which is not to say that I don't get where you're coming from. Until about a year ago, I railed against hate speech laws as an infringement of free speech, feeling, as I assume you do, that if people are free to express their hatred, then society as a whole will be there to tell them how wrong they are anyway. But two things happened in the last year that have changed my mind.

The first was the Canadian federal election. The election campaign coincided with the case of Zunera Ishaq, who was told by the government that she could not wear the niqab while reciting the citizenship oath, and would have to unveil her face to become a Canadian citizen. She took the government to court, and the court ruled the ban was discriminatory and illegal. Two of the major parties—the Conservatives who imposed the ban in the first place, as well as the Québécois nationalist Bloc Québécois—began campaigning on the promise to find legislative methods to undermine the court ruling, and suddenly, the most prominent campaign issue in the Canadian public discourse was whether Muslim women should be allowed to wear a face veil. Of course, most Canadians didn't have a clear, informed opinion on the matter, because most Canadians have never even encountered a woman wearing a face veil. Seeing a niqabi on the streets of Canadian cities isn't exactly a common occurrence.

But that didn't matter, because the niqab itself wasn't people's real concern. The anti-veil parties were framing the issue as an issue of values: Islamic values versus Canadian values, making the two out to be at irreconcilable odds with one another. And with major political leaders making Islam out to be a threat to Canadian values, suddenly, things started happening that were rarely heard of before. A pregnant woman in Toronto was pulled to the ground by her hijab in front of her two children; a non-Muslim woman who just happened to have her head covered because it was winter in Canada was accosted and threatened in New Brunswick; mosques across the country were vandalized, some repeatedly, with threatening graffiti and in one case with the lovely message, 'Sand niggers go home.' The very fact this hatred was being discussed as if it were normal encouraged and emboldened people to act on their prejudices in ways they never would have before.

The second and more prominent thing that happened I feel I can speak less on, for obvious reasons: Donald Trump. Do most Americans believe the hatred he spews towards Hispanics and Muslims to be unfounded vitriol? Almost certainly. But the fact is, he's normalized that discussion, and attacks against the targets of his bigotry have risen in response.

This opinion, by itself, does not imply anyone is inferior or not a person. It just suggests that they are wrong... and if suggesting that someone is wrong is bigotry then we're in trouble. What the person does with this belief is what makes them bigoted or not.

I disagree with you there, though: it very much implies that transgender people are inferior, by implying that they're not capable of determining their gender for themselves. It implies that the person holding that view is in a better position to determine that about any given person than that person herself. That's no different from holding the view that heterosexuality is the only acceptable sexual orientation, that men should be attracted to women and vice versa. Each individual is herself really the only person who has any call determining what or who they find sexually attractive, and likewise, each individual is herself the only person who has any call determining what gender they are.

I find it interesting that CSK tries to justify this view by saying that the binary cisgender view is "traditional". Well, so is the view that homosexuality is abnormal. It, too, has been treated as a mental health issue in the past: as recently as 2010 in my home province of Alberta. Traditional as well are, to various degrees and in various places, the other views in my bullet points. But times have changed for all of those issues, in some places more than others, and gender identity isn't excluded from that. Gender confirmation surgery has been performed since at least 1931. Many countries in the world either explicitly recognize non-binary sexes or allow for an indeterminate, non-binary sex designator on identification—Australians, for example, can have an 'X' instead of an 'M' or an 'F' on their birth certificates and passports. Denmark's parliamentary health committee earlier this month announced it will become the first national health body in the world to declassify gender dysphoria as a mental illness. Canada is in the process of adding gender identity protections to its discrimination and hate speech laws.

Contrary to what CSK said in the other thread, the 'you are the gender your genitals dictate' view is, indeed, as archaic as any of those other views, and because of the very implication of inferiority you tried to claim it doesn't presuppose, it is very much a bigoted view as well.

Member Awards ()

#37 CeltSoldierKev

CeltSoldierKev

• Foreign Diplomat
  • 405 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:25 PM

Is it really any more bigoted than you saying my beliefs are archaic?  We disagree on the issue, and that's fine.  But... as you are trying to argue my point, without specifically addressing it, I will reiterate it.

The notion of only 2 genders, directly related to chromosomes and genitalia is, indeed the traditional view.  If you, or anyone, has issue with that, then fine.  But in order to change the perspective of individuals, and society as a whole, requires debate.  And debate requires opposing viewpoints.  You cannot simply state that the tradition is wrong and anyone expressing the tradition is a bigot and should be silenced.  There needs to be back and forth. Discussion.

And, just an FYI, before you try to paint me as a barbaric Neanderthal... I am a strong supporter of the LGB community.  I just don't buy into the Q, T, or whatever other alphabet soup is the cause du jour.

Edited by CeltSoldierKev, 09 June 2016 - 01:25 PM.

Member Awards ()

#38 *Anastasia

*Anastasia

— 孱弱新婦 —

• Governor General
  • 8427 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 01:48 PM

My claiming your opinions are archaic does not imply you're inferior. It does not discriminate against you based on a fundamental characteristic of your being that you have no control over. That's the difference between those views.

As for changing the perspective of society… I hate to break it to you, but the reason those views are archaic is because, as I went to great lengths in my last post to demonstrate (and which you simply ignored), the perspective of society has changed. Sure, not everywhere, or not to the same degrees everywhere. But by and large, that change has already come.

The problem with the debate you want to have is that it doesn't take place in a vacuum, devoid of real-world consequences. If you argue with me that I'm a man simply because I was born with a penis, you're arguing with me on the fundamental nature of who I am as a person. You're demanding I debate whether or not I'm capable of interpreting my own feelings, emotions, and identity. And I'm sorry, but no, that's not a debate I'm going to have, because treating me with the same respect you would any cisgender person costs you nothing. Whether I'm a man or a woman or neither or both has literally no impact on you.

You want to force me to have an academic debate, and all the while, I just want to live my fucking life like a normal human being. Can I just… do that, please?

Member Awards ()

#39 Redezra

Redezra

• 7728 posts
  • Nation Link

Posted 09 June 2016 - 08:03 PM

You are talking about 2 separate things.  Are you talking about being happy and productive?  Or continuing to suffer from mental illness.  Those two statements are not mutually exclusive.  I will leave "normal" out of the discussion, as it is completely subjective.

Mentally ill people who are enabled will continue to suffer from their mental illness and impairment, yes.  But that does not mean that they cannot be happy.  I would state that while transgendered can be happy and productive, they will also continue to suffer through their mental illness.

Except that's not how you treat mental illness in the slightest. Especially things like personality disorders, bipolar, and schitzophrenia, which are chronic and lifelong. They are not simply curable with medication or a quick bout of therapy like say, a cold, it's more like chronic back pain, or asthma, you're stuck with it forever. Telling people to get over it, or assuming you can "fix" people in every case is cruel and minimises their experiences. Even if you classify transgenderism as an illness, which you can in some (but not all) cases as gender dysphoria, the only "cure" for that that exists is to support that person through a transition to the gender they identify with. Otherwise what you're really doing is giving them a series of coping mechanisms and helping them express their true, identified gender in helpful and constructive ways.

The problem with the viewpoint that it's a mental illness is that most people don't understand at all what a mental illness is, how it is treated, or how it works. I'm not saying that you specifically don't, just that the opinion you hold is bolstered by people who think depressed folks need a good slap around the head. You aren't suggesting any new or helpful methods of dealing with transgendered issues, we're already doing everything in the mental illness book. All your opinion is doing is labelling them broken, or mentally unsound, not to be taken seriously. What does that mean if not inferior?

Is it really any more bigoted than you saying my beliefs are archaic?  We disagree on the issue, and that's fine.  But... as you are trying to argue my point, without specifically addressing it, I will reiterate it.

The notion of only 2 genders, directly related to chromosomes and genitalia is, indeed the traditional view.  If you, or anyone, has issue with that, then fine.  But in order to change the perspective of individuals, and society as a whole, requires debate.  And debate requires opposing viewpoints.  You cannot simply state that the tradition is wrong and anyone expressing the tradition is a bigot and should be silenced.  There needs to be back and forth. Discussion.

And, just an FYI, before you try to paint me as a barbaric Neanderthal... I am a strong supporter of the LGB community.  I just don't buy into the Q, T, or whatever other alphabet soup is the cause du jour.

Aaah, no, no there's a problem here. We're not silencing you at all, we're presenting the viewpoint that transgendered people are as any other people, and who's right is it anyway to dictate what goes on in another person's body? I mean, I can't force anyone here to stop smoking MJ, or tobacco, or stop drinking alcohol. I can state my disapproval, louder and louder, but I can't stop you. What the "traditional" viewpoint you support (and I quote that because the traditional viewpoint is never traditional) does is dictate to some people what they can and can't do with their body. I have a problem with that, and I honestly believe any person who believes in strong personal freedoms (see; libertarianism) would also have a problem with that.

Finally, please don't wear support of any LGBTQIA subgrouping as a badge of honor. The movement is not about gays, or lesbians, or bisexuals, it's about letting people decide what they are without arbitrary boundaries imposed on them by various and sometimes conflicting external moral or legal codes. By saying "I'm for X" and "But I don't believe in the rest", you're saying, whether you know it or not, that you're against all of it. It's like a chaining MDAP treaty bloc, you don't get to break it apart.

Finally, for the record, it's Lesbian Gay Bi Trans Queer Intersex Asexual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users